G10, Lx3 Or P6000 ?

I have an LX-1.... but am unhappy with its lack of sharpness...thought I got a bad one...sent for repair/replaced lens and chips...just the same :D

I would go for quality of image rather than knick-knacks...and i never use RAW

Why?

maybe i'm just a digital noob!

After years of film and home processing the whole digital camera and photoshop scene is amazing. I rarely need to do much Post processing to be happy with my photos..... and RAW is really a belt and braces for the professionals who need the extra security it gives.

I admit to never really having dabbled with it...so am unable to give anything other than my obviously limited and bias opinion :)

I have an LX-1.... but am unhappy with its lack of sharpness...thought I got a bad one...sent for repair/replaced lens and chips...just the same :D

I would go for quality of image rather than knick-knacks...and i never use RAW

Why?

maybe i'm just a digital noob!

After years of film and home processing the whole digital camera and photoshop scene is amazing. I rarely need to do much Post processing to be happy with my photos..... and RAW is really a belt and braces for the professionals who need the extra security it gives.

I admit to never really having dabbled with it...so am unable to give anything other than my obviously limited and bias opinion :)

It's actually not that technical. RAW files are basically your non-destructable "lossless" negs. Jpegs are "lossy" and irrecoverable from post processing.

Jpeg to me is the equivalent of keeping the print and throwing the neg away.

Try it and see (and tons more detail tucked away in a RAW file)

I went to Tuk.com Pattaya on Thursday and found 2 LX3s - BUT firstly I really think I can't live with that zoom - and the controls are tiny. I play musical instruments but I don't think i can handle those little buttons etc - the other problem is I need glasses for reading and I'd have difficulty actually seeing some of the writing. So spec or no spec I don't think we'd get on.

Another observation was that in all the places I've tried, the main chain dealers don't have this model - only the little one-man stalls. When I asked to see the box it was fairly obvious that they only had the one camera and the box was pretty bashed about - also there was no manual. My conclusion is that these cameras have arrived at the store in a roundabout, unconventional way. I suspect that the manual may have been in another main language. I also wonder what sort of come-back these people could offer.

THe absence of this model makes me wonder if a an update is on the way??

So that now leaves the G10 which I have read some rave reviews about - it also has a few nail-on goodies that I will have to order from abroad

I went to Tuk.com Pattaya on Thursday and found 2 LX3s - BUT firstly I really think I can't live with that zoom - and the controls are tiny. I play musical instruments but I don't think i can handle those little buttons etc - the other problem is I need glasses for reading and I'd have difficulty actually seeing some of the writing. So spec or no spec I don't think we'd get on.

Another observation was that in all the places I've tried, the main chain dealers don't have this model - only the little one-man stalls. When I asked to see the box it was fairly obvious that they only had the one camera and the box was pretty bashed about - also there was no manual. My conclusion is that these cameras have arrived at the store in a roundabout, unconventional way. I suspect that the manual may have been in another main language. I also wonder what sort of come-back these people could offer.

THe absence of this model makes me wonder if a an update is on the way??

So that now leaves the G10 which I have read some rave reviews about - it also has a few nail-on goodies that I will have to order from abroad

Well, if you do go down the G10 route, take a look at DXO RAW developer (trial available for download)

I've been playing with it for a day or so and it dramatically improves G10 IQ

Unfortunately, it's nearly the same price as the camera!

the lx3 is not officially imported by panasonic in thailand my shop in chiang mai told me. they got it through singapore or hong kong. is called grey market i guess. hence no manual, vat refund, or international warranty. they were happy to print a manual for me though.

Its listed on the Panasonic Thailand site (not that that means anything I suppose). The manual is on a disk, all you get on paper is a brief guide.

The Pattaya shop had a demo black version with a beat-up box. They had some new silver versions in sealed boxes, but who wants a silver one......

THat RAW prog. sounds a bit dear!

Sorry, it was the set-up giuide that was missing....I'll try and get to pnatip...all the LX3s in Pattaya were 18900baht - ("Can disciount") - saw the silver - and as you say - who wants a silver one?? - I will have to look at this camera every day for several years - so looks are important!

- I may be going to Europe - UK to be precise - in august, and although there's not a huge price difference, I might hold back until then. I understand firstly that the full range of accessories , lens etc are available there.

Might there also may be a better more up to date range available???

I also want to buy a few other IT/electronic bits and bobs. - that might be another topic.

Procrastinate long enough and a new model will be on the market.

In meantime I am enjoying my LX3. The G10 was on table next to it in the Pantip shop, they had loads of each, and I took the smaller unit as I will carry it more. I have owned Canons for over 25yrs and this is first time I didn't buy a Canon. I was put off by the limited telephoto of the LX3 but the wide angle offers many other opportunities and the telephone digital zoom handles the rest admirably for my needs. I am using it now instead of an old 6x opt zoom Canon that is looking battered and worn. One problem I had with the old Canon was the built in lens cap didn't take kindly to rough handling and wouldn't shut always. The external lens cap of the LX3 seemed stronger in comparison if albeit a small inconvenience than the G10's built in. Size is important to me, and I couldn't see myself lugging a G10 everywhere that a LX3 will more easily go.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I think the buttons maybe an issue for people with very large hands or if your are left handed. But they are solidly built and easy to operate after a day or two of use. The four direction buttons on back have their additional function impressed on them, making them hard to see, but if you use the camera often easily remembered.

For me I can only use cameras often if they are small and don't weigh me down. This camera will get a lot of use by me I think.

THat would have killed it for me.

I still fdon't know if there's a telephoto screw-on for the G10.....???anyone

Hello!There is screw for adapters,including tele adapter;it is ring around the lens,it is not on the top of lens but at the bottom of it.

I know one happy owner of G10,who did not discover it on his own.You have to unscrew it to use.In some shops you can buy

special kits including that adapter tube,with matching filters and tele converter,all for 30-50$(third party - not Canon!).

There is problem to find some reasonable case however,what Canon will sell you,is very classy pure leather,original thing,not cheap,not rigit.

I have found,by chance foam case,originaly made for obsolete video camera and it is safe inside it,I had before G9 and after more,then

year of unprotected use - I do not see any scratches,and I was not very gentle.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a Lumix - brilliant! Don't buy one in Thailand they are all "grey" imports.

Main drawbacks are

No viewfinder - the screen is too pale in bright sunlight.

No good zoom

Accessories are REALLY expensive and would put the camera in the same price bracket as the Olympus Pen! (they are also not available in Thailand.

PS - there is definitely something fishy going on with the release of the PEN - only available through limited outlets in UK - will wait till the price tumbles.

Got a Lumix - brilliant! Don't buy one in Thailand they are all "grey" imports.

Main drawbacks are

No viewfinder - the screen is too pale in bright sunlight.

No good zoom

Accessories are REALLY expensive and would put the camera in the same price bracket as the Olympus Pen! (they are also not available in Thailand.

PS - there is definitely something fishy going on with the release of the PEN - only available through limited outlets in UK - will wait till the price tumbles.

Coupled with the fact that already a few are being offloaded on the 2nd hand market !

• 2 weeks later...
Almost every LX3 i've seen in Thailand has been an "open box' or grey import....the last last one I saw the start-up intro seemed to be in an East european language. it also appears that accessories are not available at all. I contacted Panasonic but got no reply.

The black LX3 I purchased in Pantip a few months ago came with Thai language menu option. Not sure if that makes it a legit import?

I bought the LX3 in february from http://www.zoomcamera.net at 15900B with a 2gb card ( now the price is up at 18500B )

and also bought extension tube, conversion lens and dedicated flash.

Paid by ATM transfer and delivery in 2 days in pattaya.

Contacts in english by e.mail with khun nara : [email protected]

This camera is a gem and much better that all compacts camera that I tried. The f2 lens is perfect for me.

But can't wait to find a GH1, even if the LX3 will stay close to me...

Check the LX3 groups on flickr to see the quality of the little monster.

• 2 weeks later...

So what do you guys think about the new Canons, the Power Shot S90 and PowerShot G11 ?

I have friend that for the moment is in Hong Kong and he ask me for advice on the S90.

I was reading a little about it and then found out it is very similar to the new G11.

S90 : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s90.asp

And SideBySide : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_po...11&show=all

They seem to have same sensor, both have Raw, some differences in ISO, no hot-shoe in S90, different aperture and different zoom.

:):D:D