17 Killed, 30 Injured In Bus Accident In Krabi

churchill

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you run the story about the horrific bus accident last month? ..and the month before? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ...................................

You mean this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bikes-Thailand-f117.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2-Killed-Inj...nt-t232897.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/American-Tou...-P-t184128.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/19-Dead-Bus-...Un-t216878.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Taiwanese-To...ur-t232329.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/10-Killed-25...en-t248039.html

Or this one - March 28th - 17 dead. It was big news for 6 days.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/17-Killed-50...en-t253222.html

These are all from the last 14 months - I may have missed one or two- and these are just the ones that made TV.

Nothing will get done because the bus company owners make sure the right people are taken care of.

And it sure as s*** ain't gonna be rich people dying on those buses so who cares?

My partner is a victim of a road accident where the driver fell asleep. He was lucky to have survived, but carries the side effects of a severe neck and spinal trauma.

It would be a nice thought if one day the Thai government does something about the driving conditions (excxessive diring hours, drinking and driving etc), as is can be a little like Russian Roulette every time you get behind the wheel.

I remember, years ago, reading the account of one of our members on the topic of bus safety. On an overnight trip from Lampang to Chiang Mai, he woke up to the horror of his bus racing another bus, side-by-side on a two lane, twisting, mountain road. Crews of both buses were yelling and pushing the drivers to go faster to win the race. Regulations don't mean much when the mentality of some drivers is criminal at best.

Condolences to all involved....

Sure like to know what charter bus company was handling this trip??

Sure like to know how often the Samut Prakan local government sends "400 officials" on field trips to Krabi...

Thai taxpayer dollars, hard at work.

One might hope that because this is a Thai caper, some regulatory good might come from it. But, I'm afraid, that might be being a bit too optimistic.

:)

My gf is a guide, goverments sending ppl on holliday happens a lot. Does not matter who is in charge the Dems or the thai rak thai.

I'm not normally enthusiastic about Anglo-style litigious societies but maybe this is one area where litigation can help to change things. If bus companies were put out of business by litigation against poor practices following an accident perhaps others might take controls seriously.

Of course this is pre-judging that there were poor practices, but then this is TV.com, so I am in good company!

On a different vein I tipped a minivan driver 50 baht on a trip to BKK from Hua Hin once cos I was so impressed with his (reasonably fast but very safe) driving skills. Boy was he astonished!

Edited by SantiSuk

I'm not normally enthusiastic about Anglo-style litigious societies but maybe this is one area where litigation can help to change things. If bus companies were put out of business by litigation against poor practices following an accident perhaps others might take controls seriously.

Of course this is pre-judging that there were poor practices, but then this is TV.com, so I am in good company!

On a different vein I tipped a minivan driver 50 baht on a trip to BKK from Hua Hin once cos I was so impressed with his (reasonably fast but very safe) driving skills. Boy was he astonished!

I have used that service in the past. So has a friend. We are both of the opinion, that the drivers are running a competition with each other to see who can do it in the fastest time. Scary

jb1

Is this why the buses always drive in the outside lane even on a clear open road - requiring other drivers to overtake on the inside - because they can virtually drive in their sleep ?

I think the police should stop this practice and make the drivers concentrate on the road and what other motorists are doing around them .

The drivers are spaced out on tabs to keep them awake....how else can they drive for 12 hours in the dark?? I won't put a foot on one of these buses on an overnight trip.

The bottom line is the Thai authorities don't give a toss...the odd sad face here and there and then life goes on as before. It all a numbers game to them.

God help the dead, the injured and their loved ones.

Does anyone know if the authorities here have rules about how long a driver can drive in a 24hr period as if he so are they enforced. R.I.P and my condolences to all.

That's easy: 24 hours of course... oh, rules... are there rules?

Around ten years ago, I took a Thai Limousine Service car from Don Muang to Pattaya. I wondered about the driver's enormous consumption of "M Roy", but I had heard that they worked long hours, so I asked if this was his last trip to Pattaya before his 12-hour shift was over. He answered that, no, he still had three more trips to go before his 48-hours shift came to an end. I guess he slept now and then between the runs, but still...

Road safety anyone?

Edited by zakk9

Sad very sad.

I made a bus trip to Mai Sai last week. Across the isle sat two cute Thai ladies. They giggled at me as I put

on my seat belt. I just smiled. I looked around and NO one had a seat belt on.

I know seat belts are not going to save everyone but I wonder how many had their belt on during this deadly crash and how many it MIGHT have saved if they would have been buckled up?

I totally concur dude. Seat belts should be enforced.

17 killed, 30 injured in bus accident in Krabi

KRABI: -- A chartered bus taking officials of the Samut Prakan Provincial Administrative Organization for field trips overturned here Friday morning, killing 17 and injuring 30 passengers.

The accident occurred at 6:30 am on the Phanom-Khao Tor Road in Ban Bang Hoi village in Tambon Khao Tor of Krabi's Prayphaya district.

Twelve passengers of the bus died at the scene and five more died at hospitals.

Thirty other passengers were injured and rushed to the Krabin and district hospitals nearby.

About 400 officials were travelling in 12 buses. They left Samut Prakan Thursday evening.

And i suppose the bus driver ran away, they usually do dont they ?

Police said the drive of the bus, which overturned, might doze off, causing the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/06/09

I wonder where they traveling in convoy, If so this tragic accident could have been on a larger scale, My thoughts go out to all concerned.

No mention of the drivers injuries!

Drivers injuries ? If past records mean anything. He is probably still running !

Sad very sad.

I made a bus trip to Mai Sai last week. Across the isle sat two cute Thai ladies. They giggled at me as I put

on my seat belt. I just smiled. I looked around and NO one had a seat belt on.

I know seat belts are not going to save everyone but I wonder how many had their belt on during this deadly crash and how many it MIGHT have saved if they would have been buckled up?

I think a lot of the Thai folks just aren't educated or aware of the bendfits of seat belts. My Thai wife has to be reminded constantly to wear hers and she still insists upon putting her grandson on her lap in the front seat. She just doesn't get it that a crash is going to throw her into the dash or window and maybe out of the car. There is really no attempt by Thailand to educate traffic and driver safety. Why so little fore thought to the consequences of one's actions? I guess it's the Thai way. I see it in so many endeavors and areas by the Thai folk.

Didn't you run the story about the horrific bus accident last month? ..and the month before? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ..and the month before that? ...................................

You mean this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Bikes-Thailand-f117.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/2-Killed-Inj...nt-t232897.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/American-Tou...-P-t184128.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/19-Dead-Bus-...Un-t216878.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Taiwanese-To...ur-t232329.html

Or this one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/10-Killed-25...en-t248039.html

Or this one - March 28th - 17 dead. It was big news for 6 days.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/17-Killed-50...en-t253222.html

These are all from the last 14 months - I may have missed one or two- and these are just the ones that made TV.

Nothing will get done because the bus company owners make sure the right people are taken care of.

And it sure as s*** ain't gonna be rich people dying on those buses so who cares?

My condolences to all the people who've died in poorly driven, badly maintained buses in the past, the present and the future, because as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, there will be more deaths as per the above statistics.

OK, enough of the condolences please. This is Thailand and the rich b&stards who own the buses don't give a flying $uck about the poor b&stards that ride in them. Hit the owners and something may change but until then...............my condole....... :)

My wife an me travel the roads of upcountry TL a lot. It always makes me cringe a little when one of these buses crashes. Maybe I've I ve seen too many crazy thai bus drivers in action. They scare me and I give them as wide a berth as possible. Rest in peace, and fast recovery to the injured.

I see these convoys of coaches quite often. They are often being driven like racing cars with little regard for their own or anyone elses safety.

Is there any point at all in offering condolences in this forum? I very much doubt that anyone involved in the accident reads this.

Does it really matter that they're not read, people are voicing their thoughts thats all.

No, it does not "matter" in the sense that it does not cause any harm to anybody. It does, however, convey an impression that the person who purports to extend condolences which will never reach their target is perhaps ignorant concerning his or her own language. Nothing unusual about that for TV, though.

I see these convoys of coaches quite often. They are often being driven like racing cars with little regard for their own or anyone elses safety.

Is there any point at all in offering condolences in this forum? I very much doubt that anyone involved in the accident reads this.

Does it really matter that they're not read, people are voicing their thoughts thats all.

No, it does not "matter" in the sense that it does not cause any harm to anybody. It does, however, convey an impression that the person who purports to extend condolences which will never reach their target is perhaps ignorant concerning his or her own language. Nothing unusual about that for TV, though.

In another fred, someone offered condolences to fans of David Carradine. I can't express how much it means to be consoled in my moment of grief by someone on an anonymous forum. :)

Though very sad, I wonder how many drivers there were employed per bus. I suppose just one. This means gross negligence from the side of the bus company. unfortunately it is not even an exception but it is almost just another statistic. Life is cheap in most Asian countries.

Isn't it refreshing that pomposity is still alive and kicking. :) .

Isn't it refreshing that pomposity is alive and well, I suppose you must like slumming or is there nothing on the tele. :)