Do Thai Dvd-vcd Players Work In The U.k.?

NewGuy

My buddy wants to pick up a dvd-svcd-vcd-karaoke player here, use it for six months, then take it back to Blackpool. Will typical models, from Carrefour for example, work in the U.K.? Any power supply issues? Will they play the dvds he bought in England?

And, of course, can you recommended specific brands/models?

Make sure you get an all-region DVD player. Although some years ago all DVD players sold in Thailand were region-free, I understand that nowadays Region 3 players are being sold. Your Region 2 (UK) won't play on a Region 3 player. Most likely go for a low priced (Chinese) made one. Carrefour and Tesco Lotus are the best places for these players.

Not quite sure what you use in the UK, but I think different from the 220 volt which is used in Thailand. You will most likely have power supply issues.

Of course, you can buy adapter and step-down devices.

Edited by sniffdog

Not quite sure what you use in the UK, but I think different from the 220 volt which is used in Thailand. You will most likely have power supply issues.

UK is 230v - so not a problem, and is also PAL, so not a problem.

Only major issue is the region code, so I agree about making sure it's a multi-region player (or at least can be changed to a multi-region player by entering a code). Personally, I would note down the model number before buying, and do a check on the internet that the model has a "region hack" available for it.

There is a minor issue that outside Europe, you won't find Scart sockets. So where, in Europe, a TV will automatically switch to a DVD player when you press the play button (because of a switching signal on the scart cable), on a player from outside Europe, you will always have to switch to the DVD signal using the TV remote.

Edited by bkk_mike