Thai Airways May Cancel A380 Jet Order

george

I have flown B747 for 15 years and love it , but I am sure the A380 is a great aircraft too. A couple of years ago a larger aircraft than the 747 looked a good idea , the way world travel was increasing. Sadly we all live in a very different world now , where most airlines are fighting just to survive.

If Thai do cancel thier order for A380's maybee they will regret it when things do , hopefully ,pick up.

Happy and safe flights to all :)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flown B747 for 15 years and love it , but I am sure the A380 is a great aircraft too. A couple of years ago a larger aircraft than the 747 looked a good idea , the way world travel was increasing. Sadly we all live in a very different world now , where most airlines are fighting just to survive.

If Thai do cancel thier order for A380's maybee they will regret it when things do , hopefully ,pick up.

Happy and safe flights to all :D

I agree with what you're saying (I've flown on 747s for at least 25 years). I'd just like to add that the first THAI 380 is scheduled to be delivered late in 2011. Who knows what the airline market will look like then :)

/ Priceless

Ive flown with various airlines, BA, KLM, Quantus, Air France and emirates to thailand. Air France were the worst, i went biz class and i have to say the service and quality isnt as good as emirates economy. Speaking to other farangs who travel with thai air, reports are always positive, until they go emireates and experiance the differance. I do believe thai air will come to regret the decision NOT to get the A380 as singapore and emireates establish themselves as the main carriers for these craft.

Its a gamble either way, but hey, thats life!!

Very true. All monopolies here are poor. TOT offers terrible service. Better than some, but still poor. 2MB is still

the fastest internet service they offer. UBC promised hi-def satellite service in 2009. Nobody at their office knows

anything about it. They are probably years away from offering what the rest of the world has already had for

years. 3G service is limited to two neighborhoods in Bangkok, and Hua Hin. So, someone with an iphone, who

wants to use the Thai network, is limited to that? No GPS support yet, anywhere in the country. No consistent

electrical supply without blackouts outside of Bangkok. I understand this is the third world, but where is the

progress? It seems like from a technological point of view, Thailand is going backwards, and not forward. Is

it just me, or is this the case? The government here is inept beyond imagination. Though Abhisit is probably

the smartest, and most able of them all, he has to fight daily with the coalition partners, who are all corrupt,

and none of whom really care about Thailand (outside of personal financial concerns). One of the reasons why

I suspect they are so scared of farengs, is because they know everything we do, and everything we touch, and

every idea we come up with, is far better than ANYTHING they are capable of. When is the last time a Thai

national has won a Nobel Peace prize? How about a Pulitzer? How about an Olympic medal? How about any

other international standard by which you can measure one nation against the world?

- Assuming you mean 2 Mb/s (megabits per second), I was upgraded to "Platinumcyber" 3Mb/512kb a month ago, for free (not saying that TOT is good, just that you are wrong). If you mean 2MB/s (megabytes per second), then that's not bad as it is equal to 16 Mb/s.

- Nobel prize? Never, as far as I know.

- Pulitzer prize? Fat chance:

"Only U.S. citizens are eligible to apply for the Prizes in Letters, Drama and Music (with the exception of the History category in Letters where the book must be a history of the United States but the author may be of any nationality). For the Journalism competition, entrants may be of any nationality but work must have appeared in a U.S. newspaper published at least once a week or on a newspaper's Web site."

- Olympic medals? Beijing 2008, two golds and two silvers.

If you're going to post something that looks like fact, please check it first :D

/ Priceless

Priceless is one of only few who knows a byte customarily contains 8 bits . Technically speaking however, a byte is a string of any defined number of bits. Byte length is typically determined by the computer's architechure, word size, etc. B.S. Computer Science. Michigan State University, 1970. [ Big deal Lop99, who cares! :) ]

Edited by Lopburi99

[...]

Priceless is one of only few who knows a byte (:D customarily contains 8 bits (:D. Technically speaking however, a byte is a string of any defined number of bits. Byte length is typically determined by the computer's architechure, word size, etc. B.S. Computer Science. Michigan State University, 1970. [ Big deal Lop99, who cares! :) ]

It is so customary that if you type define:byte into Google, the first answer you get is: •a sequence of 8 bits (enough to represent one character of alphanumeric data) processed as a single unit of information wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

If you know where to look, you could however Google e.g. PDP-10 and come up with the following: The PDP-10 architecture was an almost identical version of the earlier PDP-6 architecture, sharing the same 36-bit word length and slightly extending the instruction set (but with improved hardware implementation). Some aspects of the instruction set are unique, most notably the "byte" instructions, which operated on bit fields of any size from 1 to 36 bits inclusive according to the more general definition of a byte as a contiguous sequence of a fixed number of bits.

/ Priceless (Lecturer in Information Processing at the Stockholm School of Economics for five years at the end of the '70s. Big deal :D )

Airbus will prove over time to be a catastrophe. It's like comparing tin can Euro cars to American iron.

One is trim and sleek and the other one works.

Like comparing a Porsche to a Studebaker or a Mercedes-Benz to an Edsel, you mean?

/ Priceless

Airbus will prove over time to be a catastrophe. It's like comparing tin can Euro cars to American iron.

You buffoon. RR, BMW, Maserati, Ferrari, Saab (before GM got its avaricious mitts on it) - yeah. Tin cans all.

Care to stick to airplanes? Like the Mustang? A heap of crap before the Brits tidied it up and gave it a decent power plant.

Google the data - its real simple - if ya honestly believe that I fudged the data in any way, for whatever political, egotistical, sicko gain, then I have to seriously query your ability to do any logical investigative forensic work, as you say you are qualified to carry out.

Instead of simply playing word-games, produce the proof that you say you are privy to. Dont malign my given data with some juvenile rhetoric, if you have contrary proof.

In life one is always presented with choices - for my own, I decided not to fly any Airbus, ever again, 2 years back - that is my right.

The purpose of this post - from my perspective - is to get to the truth so that corporates dont simply mash all of us into obscurity.

If Airbus, et al, are guilty - fry them. If innocent, thats also good. Then they walk. Even if they come up smelling roses, I still wont fly on them.

So many folks take all this so subjectively - just imagine how bad the victims must feel.

BR>Jack

Please enlighten the people reading your post just how many of these alleged crashes have been design faults as opposed to pilot error if you know in fact, because I do.

This come from one of ur post jack:

Chinese proverb "if two people tell you your face is green, go look in the mirror"

I think it's time for u to have a look :D:D:D

I read many his post and think he is not aviation person and dont know airplanes. Just Airbus bashing cause he does not respond to good arguments.Please tell us wich one pilot error and one that is desigh problem. I think he is a troll. Jack, you not fly airbus?? I don't think you know what airplane you get on. I think he is a troll. :) Troll troll troll :D

That must be the reason that foreign car sales skyrocketed in the last decade in the US.

You are just using wind up lines, totally without any substance at all.

Now do you have anything to say that makes sense?

Works so well that they are in bankruptcy

:):D:D

You and jack don't belong to the same family ? :D

Edited by isanb

It's like comparing tin can Euro cars to American iron.

You mean comparing smaller lighter more-fuel-efficient cars, made by Opel/Vauxhall (GM brands) or Ford in Europe, with gas-guzzling over-sized Hummers/SUVs made in America by the same international companies ?

Texpat, you really must be joking I'm sure, but perhaps you haven't been home for the last 20yrs or so to have seen the number of "not made in America" cars that are now on the streets of the states and those that are from GM and Chysler that are made by europeans should seriously embarrass the home market.

Qatar Air just ordered 24 x Airbus A320 from Airbus, at the gay Paree airshow. Now is that tacky or what.

The bed is still warm. Were I a betting man, I would venture a guess at lousy damage control.

How juvenile - they actually waited for an airshow?!

Wonder if they will simultaneously announce the pending Thai A380 cancellations?!

BR>Jack

Qatar Air just ordered 24 x Airbus A320 from Airbus, at the gay Paree airshow. Now is that tacky or what.

The bed is still warm. Were I a betting man, I would venture a guess at lousy damage control.

How juvenile - they actually waited for an airshow?!

Wonder if they will simultaneously announce the pending Thai A380 cancellations?!

BR>Jack

You seem unaware, it is common practice for both manufacturers, to announce major new orders at airshows ? So why is this practice tacky then ?

Incidentally Qatar are yet another airline, with A380s on-order, who may well be operating them into Bangkok over the next few years. Ditto Etihad and British Airways. :)

Moi ? BMW 750

BR>Jack

Hahahahaha, you can be a fun guy Jack, sorry I mean Tex. How about your car, what is it you drive??

I was right J/D there had to be more to you than just being a xenophobe, but a beautiful never the less. :)

Moi ? BMW 750

BR>Jack

Hahahahaha, you can be a fun guy Jack, sorry I mean Tex. How about your car, what is it you drive??

I was right J/D there had to be more to you than just being a xenophobe, but a beautiful never the less. :)

Missed the beautiful Car never the less.

We don't save the orders for the air shows," Boeing's chief of commercial airplanes, Scott Carson, told the BBC earlier on Monday.

Gee - maybe thats becasue we simply have a little more class, than does EADS/Airbus, and we are not in damage-control. .

Read the post properly, then ya might understand - this is not exactly bragging-rights country right now.

That entire industry might crash & burn, fiscally.

BR>Jack

You seem unaware, it is common practice for both manufacturers, to announce major new orders at airshows

We don't save the orders for the air shows," Boeing's chief of commercial airplanes, Scott Carson, told the BBC earlier on Monday.

Gee - maybe thats becasue we simply have a little more class, than does EADS/Airbus, and we are not in damage-control. .

Read the post properly, then ya might understand - this is not exactly bragging-rights country right now.

BR>Jack

You seem unaware, it is common practice for both manufacturers, to announce major new orders at airshows

Very good answer Jack, by the Boeing spokes person that is. There is a reason for his answer of course.

Look at the link and see what Boeing has done on the selling front this year, they last updated it on June 9. If things had really gotten any better after that, they would have updated.

The number of cancellations is very high. Boeing has had more cancellations than orders. One can only hope that the Paris air show WILL bring them some orders.

This topic was/is about Thai airways possibly cancelling one airbus A380. If we were honest it is not just Thai airways, but many more, and some aircraft manufacturers are getting hard blows.

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/orders/index.cfm

This topic was/is about Thai airways possibly cancelling one airbus A380. If we were honest it is not just Thai airways, but many more, and some aircraft manufacturers are getting hard blows.

Just a minor correction, the OP says it's all 6 A380s currently ordered by Thai, which may be cancelled, not just one.

Many airlines are cancelling or delaying deliveries, during the current (hopefully only short/medium-term) down-turn, however both major manufacturers have several years of orders currently on-the-books, so the most likely effect on them will be the usual minor tweaking of production.

Since the A380 is currently delayed-in-production, and the B787 is similarly delayed years in flight-testing, this may actual assist both Airbus & Boeing, by reducing the back-log slightly. Both look to be fine aircraft, if serving slightly different markets, and a big step towards increased fuel-efficiency and lower seat-costs, looking forward to flying on them both ! :)

Edited by Ricardo

BR>Jack

Jack/D the world frequently knocks America about all sorts of things but in all fairness I have never heard anyone accuse them of having too much class, have a nice day. :):D .

Could the reason that Thaiair is thinking about cancelling their order for 6 x A380 be that Airbus, who like Boeing are facing hard times, have followed Thai practice and upped the price when there is a shortage of paying customers? Or that Airbus want to be paid in hard currency and not a few millions tons of somtam?

Given the content of the report on Phuket air disaster I am concerned that a third world country organisation with lax procedures and practices should purchase these monsters and actually fly them - or not. The Thai authorities may be able to doctor air crash investigation reports such as they appear to be doing in the Phuket situation but if 800 lose their lives, the ordure will really hit the fan.

Just a minor correction, the OP says it's all 6 A380s currently ordered by Thai, which may be cancelled, not just one.

Many airlines are cancelling or delaying deliveries, during the current (hopefully only short/medium-term) down-turn, however both major manufacturers have several years of orders currently on-the-books, so the most likely effect on them will be the usual minor tweaking of production.

Since the A380 is currently delayed-in-production, and the B787 is similarly delayed years in flight-testing, this may actual assist both Airbus & Boeing, by reducing the back-log slightly. Both look to be fine aircraft, if serving slightly different markets, and a big step towards increased fuel-efficiency and lower seat-costs, looking forward to flying on them both ! :)

Yup, sorry about the 6 !

Could the reason that Thaiair is thinking about cancelling their order for 6 x A380 be that Airbus, who like Boeing are facing hard times, have followed Thai practice and upped the price when there is a shortage of paying customers? Or that Airbus want to be paid in hard currency and not a few millions tons of somtam?

Given the content of the report on Phuket air disaster I am concerned that a third world country organisation with lax procedures and practices should purchase these monsters and actually fly them - or not. The Thai authorities may be able to doctor air crash investigation reports such as they appear to be doing in the Phuket situation but if 800 lose their lives, the ordure will really hit the fan.

Bagwan, I hate to pop the bubble, but doctoring crash investigations, or wording them in a way that immediate action can be avoided ( until the next crash) is as much western as it is Asian. Don't put all your faith in western ways, they also disregard the rules and maintenance schedules.

Millions of dollars in fines have been payed in the last two year when they were found out. I am talking reputable institutions and companies here. Do a google search and you will no doubt find some examples.

The problem is that there is too much money, and therefore losses involved to shut a part of the industry or airline down.

Car industry is the same, look up the infamous Pinto, and what they knew and the calculated cost in life versus profits made per unit sold. That happened somewhere in the 1970 `s already, and I can assure you that the money involved has become a bigger factor and an absolute given factor when having to make decisions.

I am guessing what Thailand will do.

1. Cancel all 6 airbus, and pay 50% panelty for walking away from the contract.

2. In 2 years time when business pick up and every airlines flying it, Thailand will put in a new order of 6 airbus. To accelerate delivery, Thailand pay a premium of 50% to jump queue.

TIT.

LOL & LOL & LOL

OK - I give - I never used the words ''too much class'' - all I did was draw a very direct distinction between the relative amounts of class the frogs had vis-a-vis a terribly tragic day for all the poor people left behind. I am not gonna repeat the entire diatribe.

The gist being that Boeing dont & that Airbus did save it - prolly construed as damage control.

Neither will Thai Airbus A380 cancellations be mentioned - that would really smack of way too much class.

Of more interest is the A350 - as yet not designed either, and the possible stretched current 777.

BR>Jack

BTW - 75oil is prolly the best sedan I have ever driven. Not automobile.

we simply have a little more class, than does EADS/Airbus,