Need A Static Ip Address.

melus

get a very expensive "fixed ip" account with an internet provider :o

Most people work around the dynamic ip problem by using services like

http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/

where a small program on your pc keeps track of your IP adress and notifies a server somewhere if it has changed... You can choose an url which then will always know the way to your pc!

I've also seen routers (think either lynksys or d-link) which have this software built in to udate your IP to the DynDNS servers. This means you don't even have to have a pc on to keep your IP up to date!

Edited by monty

you don't say why you need a static IP. I suspect that you are setting up ports for Bit Torrent or our hub (welcome back any time). If this is the case you only need a static IP from your router to your computer, NOT a static IP from an internet service provider.

Works like this. The router accepts information from the internet on different "ports". This information is then sent to various computers on your network - so if you have a large company it can designate port xxxx to be your computer, and port yyyy your secretaries.

To do this with the same port to the same computer every time your computer needs a static ip - i.e. a permanent address on the lan (local) network. For P2P file sharing you may in fact only have one computer attached behind your router, but it still needs a static address to forward the same port to your computer every time.

The automatic system of routers and windows is to assign internal network IPs every time a machine tries to make a connection so that different machines can be added/removed, or re-installed without needing to change a lot of settings.

For Bit Torrent or our hub, you only need a static IP from router to the computer, not a staic IP address from your ISP which would be expensive, if they would agree to it at all.

To set one up you need to forward your ports in the router and then also set the internal lan settings in Windows in the subnet mask. Portforward.com should explain how to do this, but it is not always clear.

cheers

Edited by pandit35

Actually the reason I need a static IP address is because one of the computers on our network needs to be open in order to remotely receive pdf newspapers uploaded on it from the head office of NewspaperDirect in Vancouver. The newspapers then have to be printed and ready for delivery within a couple of hours of presstime. Because of the time difference, this will sometimes be done late at night until early in the morning when no one is in the office. A flawless operation operation requires that the IP address doesn't change if our ISP decides to reset their servers in the middle of the night.

I am still hopeful that there is a solution to this potential problem.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Pandit, and when I have time I'll come log on to the hub to share what few mp3 files I have (about 1,250).

I have a dynamic IP from my isp but it hasn't changed in four months, even through a router change. Fixed IP address costs from ISPs vary alot, from inexpensive to ridiculous. I would explain the situation to yours and see what they give you for options. You may not need a fixed line service.

cv

If you use a dyndns service with a client that reconnects automatically your computer, and updates the dyndns address with your new ip, it may work, depending on the way files are transfered. (DynDNS Updater from Kana solution is free and does the job very well).

If your company uses an ftp transfer with autoresume, and your ISP reset its server in the middle of a transfer, it should take less than 2 minutes for the dyndns address to be updated, and then, if configured properly, the transfer will resume.

Edited by yeti

Yeti has the right answer, but depending on your computer skill, it might be rather vague. For example he mentions a dydns, but that's pretty useless if the reader does not know what a dydns is. Anyway, the dydns will solve your problem, post a question here if you need more details, or else google " dynamic dns "

Forgive yeti's vague response, he is still a bit heady after France's fluke win over England yesterday.