Has Anyone Ever Tried...

doppa

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are only 2 things to worry about when getting old.

one is one's memory starts to deteriorate and the second one is.............

what was it again sweetheart ?

:)

Yes, and that old line... "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm just as good once as I ever was"

Im delighted to have rubbed ur phunnybone, so to speak. Does that qualify us as partners of some description now? :)

Sheesh...that sounds a bit kinky. :D

hmm..ive obviously been in Thailand long enough to pick up some dogdy osmosis... :D

eeeeeek,

is that like saying you've been around the traps for a while now? :D

eeeeeek,

is that like saying you've been around the traps for a while now? :D

'traps'? :D:)

maturity only brings you closer to death, :D

Hardly a point in its favour. Everything brings one closer to death.

the eternal life tablet from' boots' doesn't

Do they happen to sell fountain of youth potions also? :D

actually its not death that scares me it's, how it's going to happen, mmmmm so who wants to start, how would YOU like to go.

Why don't you start, as it is your idea? And in addition to telling us how you would most like to go, how about sharing how you would least like to go, what prospect most scares you?

For me I'd like to go in my sleep, just wake up dead one morning.

I'd least like to go, laying in bed unable to care for myself and someone having to wipe my butt etc.

But on the bright side I took one of those test on how long you would live and I have 20 years to go. Maybe by then they will be able to stretch it out so I can live to be really old, and not crapping in the bed. :)

actually its not death that scares me it's, how it's going to happen, mmmmm so who wants to start, how would YOU like to go.

Why don't you start, as it is your idea? And in addition to telling us how you would most like to go, how about sharing how you would least like to go, what prospect most scares you?

probably get banned for this, but you did ask me, with a 19yr old foreign lady sitting on my face, what scares me most , is a long suffering illness and losing all dignity, seen to many of those unfortunately, heartbreaking they are.

I would most like to die in a solar explosion that destroys all life on earth. I would prefer that the world had two or three months' advance notice of what was coming.

I would least like to die by being burned at the stake by Christians.

Yah, but with all the self righteous, I'm right and you're wrong, types around these days there is a good chance of that happening. :):D

If I'm not killed doing one of the many things I enjoy doing I'll probably die like my mother or father... in the bed of some hospital with an overdose of some medication to ease the pain. Most often older people just give up living when life becomes too boring. They stop eating and drinking and eventually their whole system shuts down. My parents died in their mid eighties so there is a good chance I'll do the same. That means I've got about 15 more years. I just don't want to be a burden on my children. When it's time to go I'd just as soon take a cyanide pill and end it quickly. I've had, and am presently having, a great life, so I have no regrets.

Here's a poem I wrote about the subject of dying..

Shed no tears

Shed no tears for me my friend

I’ve lived the life I chose

And the prickly pear I left behind

I once thought was a rose

Memories of a distant past

Haunt me occasionally

Then I look around and realize

I’m were I want to be

There’s much to learn and understand

Life’s messages are taught

With hurts and pains, and sometimes gains

It’s never done for naught

All I ask is one more ride

And reach the count of eight

Then I will smile and thank the Lord

For making the specter wait.

Edited by IanForbes

This thread seems to be getting more than the usual nutty for TV Chiang Mai! Part of that is my fault (somewhere back in previous posts), and I apologize, but this really seems the thread to nowhere.

Sad! The OP's question was really naive, but it was, I think, well meant but look where it has gone!!!!!

Oy! Enough!

OP --- and apologies that I will be accused of butting in --- will you consider making a request to kill this thread, like wipe it out?! It is really pretty easy to do so! Just ask the mod or admin types to do it. Do you want all this yadda yadda yadda following your initial post to remain here as your legacy ???? !!!!

Again, oy!!!

Yah, but with all the self righteous, I'm right and you're wrong, types around these days there is a good chance of that happening. :):D

I would hope my chances are not all that high, but they do have rather a history of it, don't they?

this really seems the thread to nowhere.

Enough!

You're probably the only Map guy in the known world who is scared to venture into uncharted territories. At the time of Christopher Columbus and his brave young sailors, you would have been Torquemada's shoe-shine boy.

I can smell an unmistakable, penetrating stench of burnt flesh. :)

Edited by MonsieurHulot

probably get banned for this, but you did ask me, with a 19yr old foreign lady sitting on my face, what scares me most , is a long suffering illness and losing all dignity, seen to many of those unfortunately, heartbreaking they are.

How do you type while doing that?

This thread . . . really seems the thread to nowhere.

Sad! The OP's question was really naive, but it was, I think, well meant but look where it has gone!!!!!

. . . . .

OP . . . will you consider making a request to kill this thread, like wipe it out?! . . .

Mapguy, there is of course no harm in asking, but if you had read in fact the posts in this thread, you would have noticed that a number of the OP's followup posts, including without limitation #37, have themselves very much determined the directions in which this thread has gone. It's scary out there in the real world! :)

This thread seems to be getting more than the usual nutty for TV Chiang Mai! Part of that is my fault (somewhere back in previous posts), and I apologize, but this really seems the thread to nowhere.

Oy! Enough!

OP --- and apologies that I will be accused of butting in --- will you consider making a request to kill this thread, like wipe it out?! It is really pretty easy to do so! Just ask the mod or admin types to do it. Do you want all this yadda yadda yadda following your initial post to remain here as your legacy ???? !!!!

Again, oy!!!

gees, if you dont like the thread, dont read it, if people want to join in ,let them....dont be an old fart.

... snip ... Do you want all this yadda yadda yadda following your initial post to remain here as your legacy ???? !!!! ... snip ...

This thread is an advertisement for the the benefits of euthanasia. Why it's still on life-support may have more to do with the dispute among its heirs over who gets what percent of which of the near-deceased's whorehouses (in the absence of a will).

But ... yadda, yadda, yadda ... we do need to reassure each other of the the illusion we are not dead already in order to avoid the dangerously taxing (even bankrupting) question which arises (if we are, indeed, "alive") : "what is being aware of being alive ?"

~o:37;

...... question which arises (if we are, indeed, "alive") : "what is being aware of being alive ?"

Now, for me, THAT IS a good question!

I used to think we needed a sort of 'jolt', to realise we are 'living' or at least to help us to live in the moment (although it can help to give us a wake up call, i now realise that isnt necessary. ). At times i find myself reverting back to an old way of thinking..which was always thinking about tomorrow, the next day, the next..but never actually allowing myself to experience the 'now'. Too often we are walking zombies, just going through the daily motions of life, without actually 'living'. If we dont already have a good sense of living in the 'now', I think we should train ourselves to. Of course we should make arrangements and plans for our furtures, but not at the expense of experiencing (and hopefully enjoying) each and every precious moment of our lives.

Sometimes, i try to imagine that i havent experienced something..simple things..like birdsong, or the taste of coffee, or the smell of cut grass. Allowing myself to really take in the sounds or tastes, smells or sights in that way, seems to heighten the experience of the moment. I feel happy when i do that. Makes me so grateful for the things around me, even if there is so many other things around me that are outside of my control, or make me feel sad. Its a release. A sort of release from pressures and expectations. In those moments I feel nothing is expected of me, im just being myself, im just enjoying the moment. It makes me feel calm and rational, and at peace.

But..of course, the times i have really felt aware of "being alive" is in situations where i have faced death (so to speak) or had or faced having an accident. Or when someone close to me has had. Those times make me realise that life really can be taken from us..and its when it is..your gone..completely gone. So yeh..at those times..i think wow..im here, im alive! Suddenly a mundane regular task such as brushing my teeth feels kind of amazing..haha...well..sort of! :)

Ah cmon Tywais, dont be a scholar and a smart arse..give a personal experience of what is living!

(dont take offence by the smart arse comment, im only teasing you!)

"what is being aware of being alive ?"

I'm aware of being alive when I'm aware of avoiding, at all costs, to answer the question " What is being aware of being alive?"

I'm aware this question doesn't deserve an answer

I'm aware that I don't need the question either

I'm aware that, when I'm dead, another soul will ask me, and the plenty other souls who don't dwell where souls are supposed not to dwell, "What is being aware of being dead?"

I'm aware I'll dodge the question and look around, as usual, wishing I was unaware of the question and its answer, unaware of the answer and its question, these two of a kind. Wishing death existed.

(dont take offence by the smart arse comment, im only teasing you!)

For some reason, when you say it I get a tingly feeling all over. :D

I took a philosophy course in Classical and Contemporary Metaphysics decades ago which focuses on that subject (living aka being) extensively. Now, 35 years later my first chance to apply it and I get chided. :D

Ok, real world experience of living. When I was in the military and sent to Viet Nam the 3rd day I was there we were bombarded with mortar fire. That was the first moment of my realizing my own mortality which clearly focused on my "living" at the time. That has happened with similar intensity only one more time in my life and that was in Thailand when a bunker of 15 750 pound bombs went off at Utapao and I was actually mentally saying to myself "it's all over now" until the shock wave hit and realized i was still "alive".

Probably too serious an answer for the CM forum. :)