What Went Wrong In Phuket?

yayapapaya

A lotta you mutts keep wheeling out this '6% GDP' chestnut without a thought that this is some statistical number, plucked from, well, nobody's quite sure really. (And please don't insult everybody's intelligence by quoting Thai Government stats.) If and only if this percentile is correct, are you stating that 6% is a constant in the formula given the shrinking tourist numbers for the last 2 fiscal years? Probably some adjustment required here…

6% of Thailands maybe GDP But more like 60% of Phukets income the rest been rubber I guess and I think I may be conservative on that!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Healthy scepticism for statistics is sensible but to dismiss them out of hand is a little foolish.

6% is as correct as can be and do you not understand that a share of GDP can remain the same even when numbers fall?

No where did I suggest 6% was not for the entire country and i stated Phuket's economy as it currently stands would not survive if (a very big if) all tourists stopped coming. So what?

Phuket has a very long history of contributing the most out of any province outside the capital, long predating tourism.

Phuket can more than support Phuket people whatever happens and has done more than its fair share in supporting others.

A farang does not represent all farangs so don't expect to be valued as if you are.

You are not as important as a farm girl tells you.

Healthy scepticism for statistics is sensible but to dismiss them out of hand is a little foolish.

6% is as correct as can be and do you not understand that a share of GDP can remain the same even when numbers fall?

No where did I suggest 6% was not for the entire country and i stated Phuket's economy as it currently stands would not survive if (a very big if) all tourists stopped coming. So what?

Phuket has a very long history of contributing the most out of any province outside the capital, long predating tourism.

Phuket can more than support Phuket people whatever happens and has done more than its fair share in supporting others.

A farang does not represent all farangs so don't expect to be valued as if you are.

You are not as important as a farm girl tells you.

….mmmm…I don't think I mentioned your kind and informed self specifically, but seeing as you decided to put your head above the parapet, despite being hopelessly uniformed about how finacial systems work, I do thank you for your little gem of:

"6% is as correct as can be and do you not understand that a share of GDP can remain the same even when numbers fall?"

Best laugh I've had this afternoon… :):D:D

….mmmm…I don't think I mentioned your kind and informed self specifically, but seeing as you decided to put your head above the parapet, despite being hopelessly uniformed about how finacial systems work, I do thank you for your little gem of:

"6% is as correct as can be and do you not understand that a share of GDP can remain the same even when numbers fall?"

Best laugh I've had this afternoon… :):D:D

Well I just took it that I must be one of the mutts as I referenced 6% and you then criticised it. You must have been talking about some other mutts then? I am very slow like that, also slow on economics.

Anyway, if I interpret you correctly shrinking tourist numbers over the last 2 years* cannot result in tourism's share of GDP remaining the same. Without going into so much detail that it all goes over my head could you please correct me in disagreeing with this. I am always looking to learn, thanks, and it seems from your reaction that I must be making a fundamental error.

(*but you are not relying on statistics for that since you do not trust them)

Tourism is the social safety valve. It is where the uneducated, unskilled youth can find a job. If mistakes are made with change or in the delivery of services it is most likely because the labour providing those services are low end. If businesses (many owned by farangs) do not wish to invest in the training or oversight, but instead prefer to churn labour, take your complaints to the business operators. In Patong, talk to the former finance ministers that owns a large chunk of the beach front area. He won't care.

For a place that is supposedly dead, I'm about to blow my brains out from all of the construction noise here in Patong. Sitting here on my balcony there's pile driving, pneumatic drilling, smacking of backhoes and just a #$@^ bloody noise assault. Last night, we went to Central, the place was busy. The only thing dead or nearly dead I saw was the poor young male splayed out over his motorbike - no helmet- that had smashed into a tuk tuk, as we drove to Central.

Yes Patong beach is near empty, but for some reason there is more trash and debris on it than during high season. Yes, the tuk tuk drivers are more idiotic than ever, with one screaming abuse at me 2 nights ago as I walked by without acknowledging him. I walked a bit further and asked a motorcycle taxi how much to go from near the Pizza company on Beach Rd up to the Andamman hotel area. Was quoted 100 baht. I said ok, and when I got there the bugger demanded 160. I gave him 140 and said cya. Wasn't worth arguing. This is what it is. Life is too short to worry about such things.

People dont get put off by all the things you mention because we in Europe hardly ever hear about what is going on in Thailand

That is very true, stand alone whole Asia. Most of the news here reaches as far as the middle east. U.S is mostly the big factor, while Asia seems not important.

Maybe take a look at the thread 'Tourist Population Swells With Injection Of American Seamen'....comments of 20 Baht for a small water and a whopping 2,000 baht for taxi to Patong......the greed needs to be curbed!!!

When they see $ they raise prices. It's smart, but once again not a way towards democracy.

The number one reason is the economy. Number two reason is the economy. Number three is the economy.

Like someone else posted July will be the real test. Remember that even if times are tough people can only bottle up a vacation for so long. So from now to Jan. is key.

It will be interesting to note how many families are traveling and this may have something to do with safety of political climate as well as the current economy.

I think single guys looking to party will always make time for places like Patong and Pattaya.

Now what can really screw up the world economy further is the speculative rise of oil prices. If plane fares go up too much people won't get on the jet regardless of the deal at the other end.

All the posts bickering about motorbike taxi fares have been removed .....

Your decision, but what those posts demonstrate is that the sentiment that "Phuket" is collapsing is more the perception of those that see bad in everything and that quibble over inconsequential events or aspects. For an island supposedly on the verge of collapse and where something went wrong, it seems to be holding it's own. Rather than the shuttered strip malls of America or the depressing economic dreariness of the EU, this little island keeps chugging along and will continue to do so whether or not a few malcontent foreign guests deem it to be on the verge of falling into an abyss of economic doom and gloom. If one wishes to adopt a negative outlook on life then everything seems bad. if one wishes to look forward with hope and positive energy then things will indeed get better.

Your decision, but what those posts demonstrate is that the sentiment that "Phuket" is collapsing is more the perception of those that see bad in everything and that quibble over inconsequential events or aspects. For an island supposedly on the verge of collapse and where something went wrong, it seems to be holding it's own. Rather than the shuttered strip malls of America or the depressing economic dreariness of the EU, this little island keeps chugging along and will continue to do so whether or not a few malcontent foreign guests deem it to be on the verge of falling into an abyss of economic doom and gloom. If one wishes to adopt a negative outlook on life then everything seems bad. if one wishes to look forward with hope and positive energy then things will indeed get better.

good post kid :)

good post kid :)

Now that's the problem.

Thailand really believes its own hype that its ready for 'quality tourists' and is pricing itsef out of the game fr the non quality veriety..

I am back in the west for the 1st time in 8 years, and am amazed by the fact that its not expensive (I was prepared to be shocked) buying clothes, in the pub, loading up on electronics and cameras and the like, even eating out is only mildly expensive and to be honest mostly superior (for eveything non Thai food). You forget the quality aspect of everything. When the 3rd world is pricing itself on par with the western world, to offer inferior products (safety, materials, maintenance, etc) people wont buy.

Sure theres beaches (without lifeguards) and theres a wam climate, but Thailand isnt alone in having these things. Whatever you think about it, Thailands real standout offer is in its bars and the population of girls in them. Like it or loath it, those tourists have been coming year in year out. But by driving up drink prices you will end up with the ones coming 50/50 to party not bothering and the pure hardcore mongers being the ones who will always come (and go to Pattaya) so those changing demographics mean Phuket loses.

Anyway what island resident (who doesnt have a biz there) doesnt love it when its quiet ??

interesting points here. i'm on holiday with the wife in Europe at the moment. We have had a couple of weeks each in the UK, Italy and Switzerland so far and going to spend another month in the UK. Some things are obviously more expensive in Europe like accommodation and petrol, but food in the supermarket, at least the stuff i like to eat, is often cheaper than Thailand. Beer and wine in Switzerland is far cheaper than Thailand.

we don't eat out at all in Switzerland because its far too expensive but the supermarket food is so good that cooking is a joy anyhow. in the UK, a good meal at an Indian is comparable to the cost of an OK restaurant in Ko Phangan.

this is not to say i don't love Thailand and the night-life especially. but Thailand cannot be considered a cheap alternative any more.

Thais are not much supermarket people like back in europe. If they can buy it fresh almost every corner or in a restaurant? Okay, some buy ingredient and prepaire themselves, but it's different culture.

Hehehehe Datsun.

You are welcome to have a look at the supermarkets here in Thailand any day. Start with Tesco, Big C and Carrefour. This Sunday its going to be absolutely crowded of thais, since its first Sunday after payday.

Absolutely crowded. Upcountry and in BKK. Supermarket people. :)

I have no wish to court controversy, nor to troll, but I do get a little fed up with the Phuket bashers' one-sided observations.

I am extremely lucky and travel quite a bit; I get around Europe a fair bit and have just got back from Africa. All I want is to get back to Phuket, which happens in 2 weeks. I generally visit 3-4 times a year and have done so since 2000.

I'm neither blind nor stupid; I have been a victim of crime in Phuket, have seen many of the things that go on and that are discussed on this forum. I just love the place and cannot wait to live there permanently. I take the whole package - yes, I know there are bad things and bad people, but when I look at the whole, I would prefer to live there than anywhere else.

Might I suggest that if the main criteria for people coming to Phuket/Thailand is for cheap living, cheap beer and bargirls, perhaps it is little wonder that they don't seem to be appreciated. Funnily enough, such people aren't overly-liked anywhere else, either. Ask the locals in Tenerife, Malaga, Benidorm, Dublin, Riga, Prague and anywhere else where the tattooed, Union Jack t-shirt-wearing brigade descend (and wherever their Australian, American or any other counterparts go).

I never forget that I am a guest. Just because I'm lucky enough to have money to spend doesn't somehow give me the right to behave badly or to demand that the country or people should change their ways to suit me. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't come back.

I never forget that I am a guest. Just because I'm lucky enough to have money to spend doesn't somehow give me the right to behave badly or to demand that the country or people should change their ways to suit me. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't come back.

But as you say, you are a guest..

When you live here for a decade or so, pay your taxes here (to a very uneven level to Thais), have a home, have a family, etc.. Your not a guest.

Demanding fair treatment, equality under law, protection from persecution, and other sensible issues are fair demands.

Phuket bangs on and on about being a "world class destination".........balderdash!

There is no public transport.......hardley any m/c taxis outside of Patong and Phuket Town (prices previously stated)

Taxi rides are about 5X Bangkok prices.........Tuk Tuks are just annoying......The baht bus goes only on the main roads

The majority of bars are overpriced.....Or if not overpriced try to rip you off at checkbin time...And they probably get it and a tip from holidaymakers (who then moan about prices when they get home to friends)....... I can't blame the Thais it's not their fault the prices have been driven up so high.

Too many Farangs have come to Phuket to make bars and businesses and start charging western prices for something that would be considered tacky even in Scarborough.

The local people are lovely.....but the golf heads and Hong kong/Singapore expats have pushed prices up too far.....And the upcountry folk are more than ready to rip off two week holidaymakers to send money home or ensnare naieve lonely old men. (tmes are tough/survival of the fittest)

As for things to do after the beach and girlie bars wear off......you have Jungceylon, local markets and some expat bars

Yawn, yawn.

Now Phuket is littered with half built houses and condos that the big expat investors can't sell or finish building.

Thailand is a beautiful place still with many gems Issarn, Krabi, Satun, Phangan, Phang nga.

Unfortunatley Phuket is not one anymore and a product of greedy Farangs that have brought their shame here.

Oh and by the way due to global warming, the box jellyfish is a real threat.

Good luck Phuket

It's certainly got its faults - what place hasn't? For all its imperfections, there's still no place I'd rather be...

Can I suggest that you look through the archives of this subforum, tuffymorgan? You will see that there are plenty of people who agree with you, but the subject of Phuket bashing comes up with such monotonous regularity that I wonder the point people are trying to make. Sure, comments like 'if you don't like it, go home' are an easy retort, but if you are seriously so concerned, why not try to do something more about it than merely bemoan it? Examples: get a lobby group together, write letters to the Governor, compile a list of businesses that do the 'right thing' and get a sticky of 'farang friendly' businesses going on this subforum... Do something positive.

It's certainly got its faults - what place hasn't? For all its imperfections, there's still no place I'd rather be...

Can I suggest that you look through the archives of this subforum, tuffymorgan? You will see that there are plenty of people who agree with you, but the subject of Phuket bashing comes up with such monotonous regularity that I wonder the point people are trying to make. Sure, comments like 'if you don't like it, go home' are an easy retort, but if you are seriously so concerned, why not try to do something more about it than merely bemoan it? Examples: get a lobby group together, write letters to the Governor, compile a list of businesses that do the 'right thing' and get a sticky of 'farang friendly' businesses going on this subforum... Do something positive.

I think most places have a golden period when there is some balance between numbers of people and development.

Then, greed coupled with irrational exuberance kicks in......real estate developers start swarming over the place like hounds.......then the place, or at least what you liked about it, dies.

Examples of certifiably dead (once very nice resort towns):

Pattaya-Jomtien (dead), Miami Beach (dead), Waikiki (dead), Koh Samui (dead),

Should Phuket be included in the list?

It seems to be part of human nature/psyche to think all growth is good and that no limits should be imposed.

An observation after being in Phuket refitting out a house with artwork and furniture is that most of the Galleries and Art shops in Patong are staffed by Indian or Nepalise. I asked the Owner of a group of galleries why they didn't have Thai's working in the shop and her response was that Thai's don't want to work - I guess she meant for the money she was willing to pay. Noticed in OTOP as well that more and more traders were Indian.

I dislike running the Indian tailor gauntlet along beach road or Bangla, but sometimes I have to because of the difficulty parking close to where I want to go.

But I would prefer to deal with a Thai in Thailand, or and Indian when in India. Maybe its just me.

On the subject of art, I went around to most of the galleries and shops and the majority must be produced by the same artist "factory" as the same paintings and artists were everywhere and the prices were outrageous. Gallery Owners are quick to say that a painting is an original, and worth 55,000 baht, but then you see the exact same painting and artist signature down the road. That same painting was 120,000 baht in the Artists Studio on beachroad. Beware that shop...oh and the salesgirl was a Philippina.

Quality was terrible. Really, really bad artwork generally with a few good originals from known Bangkok artists.

I'll stick to Chiang Mai and Bangkok galleries and Vietnam and the stuff in Phuket was simply terrible, overpriced and repetitive junk. probably same in Samui and Pattaya, so this wasn't a dig on Phuket...just an observation.

Thais are not much supermarket people like back in europe. If they can buy it fresh almost every corner or in a restaurant? Okay, some buy ingredient and prepaire themselves, but it's different culture.

Hehehehe Datsun.

You are welcome to have a look at the supermarkets here in Thailand any day. Start with Tesco, Big C and Carrefour. This Sunday its going to be absolutely crowded of thais, since its first Sunday after payday.

Absolutely crowded. Upcountry and in BKK. Supermarket people. :D

Bit like my Mrs....she goes everyday to the supermarket, what for you may ask....veggies, fruit, fish, meat, cleaning products...NO...for the free air con :):D:D ......next time have a look at how many Thais are in the supermarkets with their grandparents and kids....but no basket or trolley :D

Bit like my Mrs....she goes everyday to the supermarket, what for you may ask....veggies, fruit, fish, meat, cleaning products...NO...for the free air con :):D:D ......next time have a look at how many Thais are in the supermarkets with their grandparents and kids....but no basket or trolley :D

Well, 7-12 people in each pickup, only a few of them need a trolley and que at the cashier :D And the supermarkets are doing great, even upcountry :D

What are we doing comparing numbers of Thai who are shopping in Tesco Lotus? Is that what this thread has degenerated to? I thought it was an objective comment forum about life (principally as an expat) in Phuket.

What a shame, enjoy your grieving. Some of us still have a really great life here.

What are we doing comparing numbers of Thai who are shopping in Tesco Lotus? Is that what this thread has degenerated to? I thought it was an objective comment forum about life (principally as an expat) in Phuket.

What a shame, enjoy your grieving. Some of us still have a really great life here.

I am not ashamed of discussing thai peoples (or my own) supermarket habits, and I love my life in Phuket :)

Since Phuket has the most supermarkets in Thailand compared to registered residents, its a essential part of life here.

Just too expensive in Phuket compared with Pattaya. And I'm not talking about the supermarkets.

A baht bus in Pattaya is 10 Baht, try to find a taxi in Phuket for under 100 Baht.

And 90% of the bars are just tourist traps. In Pattaya a beer is 40-70 Baht .