Utorrent Freezes Up My Comp

raro

as the topic title says...after some time that could be anything from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, the comp jut freezes and needs a reboot. Been up and down the uTorrent FAQs and set the settings according to their recommendations but no avail.

The comp in question runs on XP SP2.

Try an older version. V. 1.6

Versions above 1.6. (might) reveal information to the ISP! Search this board for information on that.

It could be a firewall issue too. (problem with portforwarding)

hmmm....even if my ISP knew about me downloading...how would that freeze up the comp?

Disabled the firewall for testing and will report back.

Versions above 1.6. (might) reveal information to the ISP! Search this board for information on that.

hmmm....even if my ISP knew about me downloading...how would that freeze up the comp?

its the version which might freeze your PC! Regarding ISP was meant as an additional information.

I've faced freezing issues with versions starting with 1.8

its the version which might freeze your PC! Regarding ISP was meant as an additional information.

I've faced freezing issues with versions starting with 1.8

ok, got it now!

I use 1.8.2 and no problems with computer freezing up, maybe a download has been infected or something.

Also I think True are starting to block Torrent sites, as many others have problems when using True.

Also I think True are starting to block Torrent sites, as many others have problems when using True.

I don't (excuse the pun) believe this is true. I have experienced no evidence of traffic shaping, nor bandwidth limits whatsoever with True and this continues to be the case. You'll notice they're not even mentioned on the Bad ISPs list, unlike all the other Thai ISPs. I would agree there is definitely an issue with the main announce URL of a major public tracker, but this is generally considered a 'chump move' to the extent that it's completely ineffective.

as the topic title says...after some time that could be anything from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, the comp jut freezes and needs a reboot. Been up and down the uTorrent FAQs and set the settings according to their recommendations but no avail.

It seems that you are suffering from the 10 half open connection limits introduced in SP2.

Access the event viewer by Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer / System. Sort by Event and scroll down to 4226.

If you have many occurrences of this event you might either be infected with a worm, or you are using a program that opens a lot of connections (eg. utorrent)

If you see a lot of event id's 4226 then you need to increase the maximum half open connections limit (the number varies, but 100-250 should be fine. I use 250 because I am a very heavy torrent user.). There are several software that will do this for you easily and quickly. I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to "unofficial" software, so if you need it, PM me and I will reply with the link for the patcher.

It seems that you are suffering from the 10 half open connection limits introduced in SP2.

Access the event viewer by Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer / System. Sort by Event and scroll down to 4226.

If you have many occurrences of this event you might either be infected with a worm, or you are using a program that opens a lot of connections (eg. utorrent)

If you see a lot of event id's 4226 then you need to increase the maximum half open connections limit (the number varies, but 100-250 should be fine. I use 250 because I am a very heavy torrent user.). There are several software that will do this for you easily and quickly. I'm not sure if I am allowed to link to "unofficial" software, so if you need it, PM me and I will reply with the link for the patcher.

Thanks a lot for that! I have 6 of those events, all marked as "warning". The last event's time stamp coincides with the moment I restarted uTorrent.

PM is out :)

• 1 month later...

aaargghhh....the permanent crashes are back!

Haven't used utorrent for a while since my HDDs were full and I had to put in a new one. On that occasion I also completely disassembled the computer, cleaned the inside and put it together again.

Just checked for those 4226 events, but they are the same that I had before in June.

Tweaked also the half open connections as some friendly poster advised me by PM...any clues what else it could be?

this is a hardware problem, it has nothing to do with torrent settings.

update your motherboard bios, update all your drivers, check your memory with program tool like memtest86+ wich runs from a cd on the computer boot, watch your cpu and hardrive temperature and voltage coming from your power supply.

you gonna find the solution in one of those proposals.

This may or may not be usefully or relevant but it solved computer freezing and other problems for me.

My computer started to occasionally freeze and the only thing to get it going again was a soft reset, also occasionally it would for no reason re-Boot all by it's self. Also my main DVD writer/player would throw up errors then stopped working all together though the second CD Rom player still worked fine. Also on occasion I would get "Can't find Boot" on start-up and had to reset the boot sequence in BIOS.

I thought it was the kid playing her games. Some of these would reset the display and other settings which maybe didn't always revert back.

Did google for "Screen Freeze" and got lots of suggestions for a fix that covered just about everything you could think of, short answer was no answer just trial and error.

Decided to do clean install of Win XP pro. Just to make sure, I wiped the disk with "0" s not just a format and thought that would fix the freezing though the DVD would still need to be replaced.

Long story short the computer was less erratic but still was not right. I was all ready to replace the power supply, the mouse and keyboard and do various tests on the memory modules and graphics card. But all this had to wait till the next trip to town so decided to have a last go myself.

I took the whole computer apart. Unplugged all the wires and cables took out the memory modules and expansion cards. I sprayed all the connections with contact cleaner and brushed them with an old toothbrush. I also took out the CPU heat sink and fan, cleaned that all up and reset it with new thermal paste. Cleaned all the fans and vent holes in the case and sprayed all the connections at the back, especially the mouse and keyboard plugs and sockets and brushed them with the old toothbrush.

Solved the problem. So far all is working fine and the DVD is also working again. Been a week now so fingers crossed. Even let the kid back on to play her games though I try to remember to do a restore point first.

Hope this helps somebody. :)

Thanks Daffy, I did did not go that far with the cleaning, but also took the comp apart cleaned it from the dust and put it back together again.

Still don't really believe in a hardware problem as the freeze only happens when uTorrent is active. When it's not, the comp runs just fine...

Try upgrading to SP3 - not that I think it's the likely cause, but at least you'll be up-to-date.

Maybe the disk drive is on the way out? So try saving all your torrents to a different physical hard drive.

Or try Azureus. If the freeze happens with similar activity using a different P2P client, then it's probably not the client that is the problem.

Try resetting the modem during a freeze - does it start working normally again?

(Make sure you have encryption turned on for uploads in uTorrent. I don't remember where it is in the settings, but it's there, somewhere.)

The two main items which may be "stressed" by uTorrent are the hard disk (or disk controller) and NIC. I say stressed in the lightest sense of the word, but those are the two items which would likely cause hard locks as the newer releases of uTorrent are pretty light on CPU and memory usage. If you're using an onboard NIC try looking for new drivers. If you can't find any or have the newest available then it might be worth picking up a quality NIC, which will be fairly cheap, such as an Intel 100Mb or 1Gb NIC. You can find them new and used at any of the IT Malls. You should check for updated drivers for your disk controller and even motherboard BIOS before purchasing a NIC.