The Biggest Lemon I Have Ever Seen !

soidog2

I bought this tree a few years ago in the PakCheong area, I was just told it makes big lemons.

They weren’t kidding. Anybody familiar with this tree, please give me a name so I can research it properly.

Thanks !

First picture, ripe fruit with a typical Thai lime by its side for size comparison.

Second picture, a green fruit on the tree.

Third picture, a smooth fruit hanging down on the tree.

Fourth picture , cut fruit, nice taste, not bitter at all, just like a real lemon.

post-14625-1244976210_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1244976297_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1244976365_thumb.jpg

post-14625-1244976422_thumb.jpg

I bought this tree a few years ago in the PakCheong area, I was just told it makes big lemons.

They weren't kidding. Anybody familiar with this tree, please give me a name so I can research it properly.

Thanks !

First picture, ripe fruit with a typical Thai lime by its side for size comparison.

Fourth picture , cut fruit, nice taste, not bitter at all, just like a real lemon.

It looks great. I have a lemon tree with fruit that is about as large as the lemon in your picture but it does not have any fruit inside but is all skin and the white styrofoam membrane that usually covers the fruit.

etrog? the yemenite variety? etrog (citron) one of the 4 varieties used in succot services (jewish agriultural/and pilgrimage holiday) so people here actually specialize in them, trying to get the perfect non blemished ones. they get sold during holiday season for 100"s of shekels!!!!!!!!! also appears in the mishne torah as one of the 'good' fruits.

we dont do much with them actually other then decorative purposes although some people make a sort of jam from the skins...

the pic looks like one anyway.

citron medica the botanical name: i found good sites in hebrew but of course they wont help u unless u can read hebrew, to do a good match, take a good close up of the leaves and branch, flower, and the fruit.

the yemenite species looks very different from the regular one, there is also a morroccan species and a long fingered species. yours looks yemenite. but im not a tree expert.

bina

israel

In Thai it is called a magroot (มะกรูด). kaffir lime, Citrus hystrix

For Kaffir Lime the leaves

post-28064-1245061779_thumb.jpg

don't match ...

(hourglass-shaped leaves with a pungent strong aroma)

and the fruit isn't much larger then the ordinary lime - only sort of bumpy, prickly'ish...

post-28064-1245061796_thumb.jpg

looks like it ais a "Ponderosa Lemon Tree" not native to Thailand, a hybrid of lemon and lime...first probably

The leaves are long, evergreen, glossy, and citron-like, being ovate elliptic in shape and lemon scented.

They weren’t kidding. Anybody familiar with this tree, please give me a name so I can research it properly.

Thanks !

We have a tree with fruit like that. If the fruit is not very sour, but tastes a bit like an orange, it may be a native orange tree - they look more like large unripe lemons and have a thick skin. Good for drinks and quite prolific.

• 1 month later...

They weren't kidding. Anybody familiar with this tree, please give me a name so I can research it properly.

Thanks !

My trees just keep dying and I keep replacing them.

They look like the same variety as these. almost the size of 1/2 of a basketball. Each lemon made 1.25 liters( a big plastic coke bottle )of the most awesome lemon aid I had since I was in the U.S. The lemons were the same yellow color on the inside as the U.S. varieties. Unfortunately the Mothers of the daughter gave us the demon dog from hel_l to be a watch dog that was more interested on chewing up the Thai kids on bikes so We gave her back to the owner & now she & her family are done with us. I am going to miss those killer lemons!

Sorry bout that double posting of same photo!

Beardog

post-32440-1249910305_thumb.jpg

post-32440-1249910472_thumb.jpg

post-32440-1249910807_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beardog

I have had this fruit in the back of my mind since reading about it.....back in Fiji we had something like it and I couldn't for the life of me remember the name.

As so often happens, I was lying in bed last night, not thinking of this, when the name popped into my head.

Shaddock.

Just doing a google now, it seems that your giant fruit is alot greener than a shaddock.

They look like the same variety as these. almost the size of 1/2 of a basketball. Each lemon made 1.25 liters( a big plastic coke bottle )of the most awesome lemon aid I had since I was in the U.S. The lemons were the same yellow color on the inside as the U.S. varieties. Unfortunately the Mothers of the daughter gave us the demon dog from hel_l to be a watch dog that was more interested on chewing up the Thai kids on bikes so We gave her back to the owner & now she & her family are done with us. I am going to miss those killer lemons!

Sorry bout that double posting of same photo!

Beardog

They are definitely part of the "Ponderosa" lemon family.

The other day, from one lemon I made 1/2 of gallon of the most delicious lemonade; even my 8 year old daughter liked it !

I am trying to understand your post, are you saying because you returned the biting dog; you were banished from the lemon tree?

Best regards

PS, Harcourt ; Shaddock = Pomelo

Thanks Soidog2 now I know the ponderosa lemon variety is the trees I would love to have a couple of. Now the only question will Pattaya style weather be suitable for growing them. I know for Oranges or tangerines its a bust.

Thanks Soidog2 now I know the ponderosa lemon variety is the trees I would love to have a couple of. Now the only question will Pattaya style weather be suitable for growing them. I know for Oranges or tangerines its a bust.

We have an old tree bigger than the one in the pics that produces fruit very much like the pics, except they are green oranges ! They have a delicate flavour and are juicy, but not as tasty as an orange.

• 3 months later...

What Soundman said. My Thai wife said!

So both are wrong. :D

Not sure, what is it then?

If you feel up to convincing my Thai wife and the rest of the people in her village in Buriram, go ahead. Magroot is a native plant in Thailand they use all the time. :)

Edited by mailman

The locals call it a magroot (มะกรูด). The translation comes form Thai2English website, which could well be wrong. :)

So both are wrong. :D

Not sure, what is it then?

If you feel up to convincing my Thai wife and the rest of the people in her village in Buriram, go ahead. Magroot is a native plant in Thailand they use all the time. :)

Don't know what kind of lemon this is

but it is definitively not Magroot ( soundman, nothing wrong with the translation :D ).

As Samuian wrote already:

"don't match ...

(hourglass-shaped leaves with a pungent strong aroma)

and the fruit isn't much larger then the ordinary lime - only sort of bumpy, prickly'ish..."

Mailman, do not confuse quantity with quallity...

We have just bought some lime trees which we were told are European stock. Seedless and larger fruit than the Thai limes. The fruit we see are like the 3rd photo in the OPs post. To be honest it looks like the photos show fruit from different tree types. The trees apparently were introduced under some Royal family project, we bought the trees in response to the ridiculous price of limes this year. The missus threatened to stop my Tom Yam Gai.

Edited by Mosha

Quantity and quality, what do you mean Chonburiram?

After reviewing the pictures again, it looks like there are two kinds of plants being shown.

In Soidog2's original post, it looks like the

1st picture is magroot (ma-kroot) kaffir lime

2nd and 3rd pictures look like manau (translates to lime - Thai lime)

4th picture, not sure

Soidog2's picture of the tree further down looks like manau (Thai lime)

Beardog's 3 pictures look like manau - Thai lime

So what do you call them in Thai? :)

Hi folks

I believe it has been correctly identified as a ponderosa lemon limonmedica (or a very similar citron cross)

In Thai this is known as มะนาวควาย Manao khwai in the south, ส้มมะงั่ว Som ma ngua in the central region and manao yao in the north although it probably has more than one name in each region.

cheers for now J