Health Insurance For Americans

farangguy

I've spent the last few months back home in the USA after spending almost a year in Thailand. I plan on going back in a few months for a very long stay but it's not definite yet.

My COBRA runs out August 1 so I have to do something.

I'm a Florida resident but need to also be covered in New York and Thailand.

Googling around it seems if you want to be covered in the USA (as opposed to Canada, Europe, Australia) as well as Thailand there's a big difference in price.

I want to be covered in case the really serious stuff happens such as cancer or a heart attack. And I'd like that coverage to be really good.

On the other hand I prefer a high deductible to reduce the premium. It'd be a plus if I could get a HSA compatable plan as that will save me money on taxes.

So do I get a policy that covers me everywhere? Or do I get two polices, one for Thaialnd and one for the USA?

Anyone have any specific recomendations? Will Florida Blue Cross cover me in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I've spent the last few months back home in the USA after spending almost a year in Thailand. I plan on going back in a few months for a very long stay but it's not definite yet.

Googling around it seems if you want to be covered in the USA (as opposed to Canada, Europe, Australia) as well as Thailand there's a big difference in price.

I want to be covered in case the really serious stuff happens such as cancer or a heart attack. And I'd like that coverage to be really good.

On the other hand I prefer a high deductible to reduce the premium. It'd be a plus if I could get a HSA compatable plan as that will save me money on taxes.

So do I get a policy that covers me everywhere? Or do I get two polices, one for Thaialnd and one for the USA?

Anyone have any specific recomendations? Will Florida Blue Cross cover me in Thailand?

There are Medical policies which cover you Worldwide - including America - but also policies which will exclude America due to the high costs there. High deductibles can be arrange in order to lower the premiums plus OPD.

As a Thai Visa Member you can use the Brokers services of Thai Visa so may we suggest you contact them with your requirements ?

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Michigan Blue Cross paid my hospital visit in Pattaya with no problem, you will have to ask your local office since not all blue cross coverage is the same !

You can google Bupa Thailand for their insurance info...

Nick in Michigan

• 6 months later...

I also have Blue Cross as a retiree. The Federal Employees Blue Cross program will cover me anywhere in the world, supposedly. The have some hospitals in Thailand which are part of their "preferred provider" network, but I'm not sure about the doctor charges. Those may have to be claimed after the fact.

Anyway, my main worry is what will happen in the case of an accident or emergency. Will the typical hospital just let me lay there and die while they wait for payment confirmation?

I have the number for the Blue Cross Overseas co-ordinator, but I'm not sure how good that service is. Anyone here with any direct experience?

I guess I'll buy some sort of Thai accident/emergency health insurance, just to be on the safe side. Just something to cover me in an emergency until any necessary payment arrangements can be made.

may i offer you my 2 cents worth, when your cobra runs out in florida, they have an insurance plan that you can buy into from your state. This plan is available for when your cobra runs out and if you are a resident of florida.. check with them to see if they cover you worldwide.

i had the same thing happen to me and i'm in wisconsin and lucky for me it is worldwide. I still bought a travel plan from thaivisa just to play it safe, it was only about $1 a day for 90 days so why not?

If you buy into your florida insurance it would cover you in usa, not sure about overseas.. so ask.

Edited by cariden

Blue Cross will work well though you may have to front some of the fees. They will be more than happy if you opt to have your medical services in Thailand as its much cheaper for them. (More important, you will be more than happy as you'll get much better medical care, full stop). I had major surgery at the government hospital in Ubon Ratchathani about eight years back. I had a UK-trained surgeon, a pristine facility, nurses, well, you know THAT score, and then a bill of maybe THB16,000 all in, and way better work than I've had done in either US or Hong Kong (private) hospitals. Reimbursement by Blue Cross came quicker than my minimum payment was due to the credit card I used to front the bill. Another option for excellent worldwide coverage is AIA out of Hong Kong, which has a Thai operation, and also offers a 'rider' to cover you during time actually spent in the US, as opposed to paying Blue Cross, which bases your premiums on the assumption that all your care will happen in the US (and which profits obscenely from your decision to have some of your needs taken care of in Thailand). I hope to hear how you get on. Good luck!