Internet Explorer Mystery

qualtrough

I am running a legit copy of XP Professional and have Internet Explorer v. 6 with SP2 installed. Unlike some other people I am working with, the Research Button on the Standard tool bar is missing. If I go to the Toolbar Customization window there is no option for adding the Research button.Reset does not restore it. I have checked Internet Advanced Options and can find nothing. It is not so much that I want to use this button, but I just want to know why I don't have it but someone else running the same OS and versions of XP and IE have it.

qualtrough - Many programs and utilities add their own "buttons" or "links" to IE, when installed, even without your approval. :o

Check Microsoft's knowledge base. If memory serves me, I vaguely recall Microsoft Office 2003 has (or did have) a "Research" button option.

Also, when "the other people" click their Research button, what happens. Does another program interact with IE?

cheers :D

Waldwolf,

Thanks for your reply. MS Office 2003 does feature a Research button that opens up a research panel when clicked. It appears on the Word Standard Tool bar and IE (except my copy!). I have another computer with another copy of XP Professional and MS Office 2003 and I just checked it and sure enough IE features a Research button. I looked in the Toolbar customization window and it shows the button there. However, when I do it with my copy the button is missing, it is not an option. I understand that other add-ons can place buttons there, etc., but this is an MS button. I guess the question is where did my button goe. I have IE v.6 SP2 which should have it. I suppose I could re-install.

.....I have IE v.6 SP2 which should have it. I suppose I could re-install.

Before considering any reinstall of XP, suggest you first attempt an IE "repair". To accomplish this, go into control panel, click on add/remove, locate and highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SPx and Internet Tools", then click the "Add/Remove" button. You should see in the next window, several options including one which says "Repair Internet Explorer". Run this option and then check to see if the "Missing button" reapears.

If the above does not work, then I suspect the problem is with MS Office 2003 itself, rather than IE. While not specific to Office 2003/IE, Microsoft does indicate in one of their older Knowledge Base articles, missing buttons in earlier Office Word products, can occur if, during the initial installation of Office, the "Custom Installation" option was selected rather than their "Recommended" installation option.

Before attempting any OS or IE reinstall, I would first consider unstalling/reinstalling Office 2003 itself, following the normal "Recommended" installation proceedures.

cheers

:o