Proof Of Home Ownership

My fiance is waiting on a date for her settlement visa interview (getting married in LOS in April), and has just been told by the embassy that we need to provide proof that I own my home here in the UK. Already provided last year's Council Tax bill, and I have copies of the Land Registry certificates in my name. Does it matter whether I send the originals supplied by the solicitors, or the one I've just downloaded off the website, and would it be worth sending anything else, ie utility bills, etc? Many thanks for any advice.

My fiance is waiting on a date for her settlement visa interview (getting married in LOS in April), and has just been told by the embassy that we need to provide proof that I own my home here in the UK. Already provided last year's Council Tax bill, and I have copies of the Land Registry certificates in my name. Does it matter whether I send the originals supplied by the solicitors, or the one I've just downloaded off the website, and would it be worth sending anything else, ie utility bills, etc? Many thanks for any advice.

Not quite sure I am understanding all this right! Maybe not you, too!?

Basically the embassy wants to be sure, stress, sure, that you are entering into a genuine marriage....they, naturally, have some experience of the opposite....SO

I don't think...am I wrong? that she is waiting a 'settlement interview'..what you are waiting is an interview to provide ...her with a 2 year visa to stay in the UK..reason marriage..if you are marrying in LOS...you could ask for a fiancee visa for you to go back to UK to get married...Costs the same

As to documentation...The embassy wants to know:

a. You have a home/accommodation to provide for you both..you do not have to own your own home...but you must provide evidence that you have somewhere to be. Originals of documents are ALWAYS better than copies!

b.Other documentation: Anything you have that shows your work and income...ie. Pay Slips..P60s, 6 months Bank Statements helps

You can send Utility Bills/Council Tax bill, but they do not prove anything except that you pay the bills at an address

BUT when you get to the UK be sure to get the Utility Bills put in your joint names, open a bank account for her with your UK address..keep any correspondence from National Insurance/Employers/DSS/Banks addressed to her, you and/or both, for 2 years...because if the embassy gives her a 2 year visa and in 2 years time you want to get her Right To Remain stamp in her passport, in the UK, the same criteria about proving a genuine/live together marriage will apply...another good thing you can do is have a child, born in the UK, before the 2 years are up!!

what you are waiting is an interview to provide ...her with a 2 year visa to stay in the UK..reason marriage..if you are marrying in LOS...you could ask for a fiancee visa for you to go back to UK to get married...Costs the same

The initial visa costs the same, but with a fiancé visa you have to marry within 6 months of arrival in the UK and then apply for Further Leave to Remain, cost currently £155 by post or £250 in person. After 2 years you then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, cost currently £155 by post or £250 in person.

These fees are going up! The proposed new fees are £335 by post or £500 in person!

If you marry in Thailand you apply for a 2 year spouse visa and so cut out the FLR stage, and save quite a bit of extra cost!

As for documents, the embassy require either the originals or certified (by a solicitor or similar) copies.

Edited by GU22