Thai Culture: New Baby

kokesaat

The first time I heard of a pregnant Thai woman going to a fortune teller to pick a birth date for her new baby, I thought it was a one of those country bumpkin sorts of things. But in the past year, I’ve heard of two more……and the most recent mom-to-be is a college grad (master’s in chemistry). Her husband is an engineer. She knows the baby’s natural due date is in August. After a diligent search for a respected fortune teller, she’s off to seek his advice on the best possible birth date/time. She then intends to have the baby born on that day by caesarian section. Apparently the doctor will oblige her wish with a delivery on the chosen date and perhaps even a chosen time.

In South Korea, where elective cesarean birth is an option, parents who believe that the birth date will determine the child's destiny may choose to have their birth on a propitious day. In Thailand, some parents believe that their sexual life may be affected by vaginal birth and, therefore, choose an elective cesarean (Kohri N. Caeserean as a choice. 2000. Available online at http://home.catv.ne.jp/dd/naoshi-y/english/mainengl.html)

Among other factors, such as fear of labor pain and incontinence, the desire for sterilization and an auspicious time of birth were cited as reasons for cesarean sections (Pateeyasavee A.. Just as nature intended. Bangkok Post, 25 Aug 1997, p.1.)

I’d be interested in anyone with personal experiences concerning the choosing of an auspicious date/fortune teller for the birth of their child. Was a fortune teller/monk involved? Were any particular days off-limits (Buddhist holidays, certain numbered days, etc)? If the doctor were willing to perform the c-section at the prescribed time/date, were there extra fees involved?

The first time I heard of a pregnant Thai woman going to a fortune teller to pick a birth date for her new baby, I thought it was a one of those country bumpkin sorts of things. But in the past year, I’ve heard of two more……and the most recent mom-to-be is a college grad (master’s in chemistry). Her husband is an engineer. She knows the baby’s natural due date is in August. After a diligent search for a respected fortune teller, she’s off to seek his advice on the best possible birth date/time. She then intends to have the baby born on that day by caesarian section. Apparently the doctor will oblige her wish with a delivery on the chosen date and perhaps even a chosen time.

In South Korea, where elective cesarean birth is an option, parents who believe that the birth date will determine the child's destiny may choose to have their birth on a propitious day. In Thailand, some parents believe that their sexual life may be affected by vaginal birth and, therefore, choose an elective cesarean (Kohri N. Caeserean as a choice. 2000. Available online at http://home.catv.ne.jp/dd/naoshi-y/english/mainengl.html)

Among other factors, such as fear of labor pain and incontinence, the desire for sterilization and an auspicious time of birth were cited as reasons for cesarean sections (Pateeyasavee A.. Just as nature intended. Bangkok Post, 25 Aug 1997, p.1.)

I’d be interested in anyone with personal experiences concerning the choosing of an auspicious date/fortune teller for the birth of their child. Was a fortune teller/monk involved? Were any particular days off-limits (Buddhist holidays, certain numbered days, etc)? If the doctor were willing to perform the c-section at the prescribed time/date, were there extra fees involved?

Mrs didnt go to a fortune teller but did get some books on the subject to help her decide which name (s) were the best for the particular day of the week.

You believe this stuff (fortune tellers, etc.) ?? I wouldn't spend 5 minutes at it, but "up to you".

Our son wqs due on a Sunday which according to the wife is very bad luck but he was 2 days late so she was hapy enough. She's started all the same rubbish with our son but I knocked that on the head straight away, if she wants to belive it then that's up to her but she's not gonna have him worrying about bad spirits and all that crap.

Brigante7.

Our son wqs due on a Sunday which according to the wife is very bad luck but he was 2 days late so she was hapy enough. She's started all the same rubbish with our son but I knocked that on the head straight away, if she wants to belive it then that's up to her but she's not gonna have him worrying about bad spirits and all that crap.

Brigante7.

The birth is just a start. Refrain from washing and eating chicken when the child has chickenpox, smearing tumeric on mosquito bites instead of using repellant ... anybody can add to the list?

Brigante7.

The birth is just a start. Refrain from washing and eating chicken when the child has chickenpox, smearing tumeric on mosquito bites instead of using repellant ... anybody can add to the list?

No superstitious stuff with my wife but then again she is a city girl.

Some of the "old wife's tales" that come out of the villages are amazing!

I think the western blokes have to assert some of their know how here and bannish these country bumpkins notions to history where they belong. I wouldn't entertain any of that nonsense.

for moi, i figured that it would be easier in the long run to give the mrs a bit of slack when it came to choosing the Thai name.

What's that old saying, "Man who fights with Thai wife over child's name will find it harder to play with the cat in the future."

or was it, "Man who fights with woman all day gets no peace at night"

or "Man and mouse alike, both end up in pus..."

or "Man who takes tail near graveyard is <deleted>**ing near dead"

Pick whatever saying is most appropriate and makes you feel better with your decision.

For us a C-Section was medically necessary. When mother in law heard about that she went to see a monk to know what would be the best day in the timeframe given by the doctor (without asking us). We picked the day and time which were convenient for us and the doctor and did not follow her advice (and she didn't seem to mind). Before that when we moved in our condo she told us what would be the best date, so we moved there for a night at the date she gave us, then back to our old place as the new condo was not ready yet.

I know of an hospital which will ask extra money if you ask for a precise time for the C-Section for astronomical reason.