Buying A Car In Bangkok In September Or October

phetaroi

1. Does Toyota have the largest numbers of dealerships nationwide?

2. What is the current tax on a new car?

3. Any advice on buying? I would be paying cash.

4. Related advice?

1. That is correct. Important for ease of servicing.

2. I assume just VAT/sales tax like other purchases...10%. Also annual Land Dept. registration based on vehicle classification and engine displacement I believe. This runs about B 5-10k per year depending on the above.

3. Not usually too much discount from listed prices...except for close-out or last years models. Maybe get a few accessories thrown in (floor mats, window tinting, etc.). Some deals like extended warranty service and maybe even 1st year insurance from some manufacturers. Register it in your own name.

4. Go with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan (in that order). Agree that there are good deals to be had on late-model used cars...let someone else take the first years 10-15% depreciation and pick-up a basically new car for allot less. Check out model reviews and other info in Cars sub-forum. In fact, this entire thread should probably be moved there.

Enjoy your new car.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

1. Does Toyota have the largest numbers of dealerships nationwide?

2. What is the current tax on a new car?

3. Any advice on buying? I would be paying cash.

4. Related advice?

1. That is correct. Important for ease of servicing.

2. I assume just VAT/sales tax like other purchases...10%. Also annual Land Dept. registration based on vehicle classification and engine displacement I believe. This runs about B 5-10k per year depending on the above.

Thanks for all the info! Yes, the reason I was asking about which company had the largest number of dealers was related to ease of servicing.

I was under the impression that there was a huge tax on new cars...something like 200%. Or is that a thing of the past?

You need your name in a house register in order to register ownership of the car in your name.

Can you explain what a "house register" is? I assume that with a retirement visa and living in a rented condo or apartment will qualify me?

Thanks!

You need your name in a house register in order to register ownership of the car in your name.

Can you explain what a "house register" is? I assume that with a retirement visa and living in a rented condo or apartment will qualify me?

Thanks!

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about...probably told this by his GF/wife as she knows that's not possible so that the cars are registered in HER name :)

This is an old scam Thai girls tell their ting-tong farang buffaloes or he be referring to the fact you will need a document from immigration in Bangkok stating your residence address (where you rent or own a condo/house) when you go to register the vehicle with the land transport department and when you get your Thai drivers license. However, this document is not necessary when you go to buy a car from the dealer (new or used)...you can get it after.

As to your question about the 200% taxes...that's for imported cars...and the tax ranges up to 300% depending on class and engine size! However, cars assembled from imported kits or manufactured in Thailand (most Toyotas, Hondas, some GM, Fords, Mercs, and BMWs too) face much lower taxes.

Thanks!

Its called the Tabien Baan. The famous yellow book.

FWIW, a foreigner can own a car in Thailand. The registration is little different. Check out the Motor sub forum.

I spent 2,000 baht getting a letter of residence from my embassy and 250 baht translating it into Thai, based on advice from a lawyer. Neither the Toyota dealer in Bang Na Bangkok yesterday nor the one in Ubon today were interested in seeing this. They will sell me a car in my name on the basis of my passport and visa (non-immigrant O but i'm sure any longer term visa will do).

Hey ho :) - maybe I should apply for a Thai driving licence just to get value out of the damned letter!

Buy 2nd hand. New cars ain't worth it. Done it twice and they are still going strong. My 2 cents worth.

I would say the opposite...2nd hand prices are ridiculously high.....if you can afford new, go for it...3year/100,000Km warranty and not loose much of the value when you do sell..........you wont get anything decent under 350,000 Baht.