Holiday In New Zealand

DaDog

Newbie Here. I have been reading the TV posts and the New Zealand government sites and all I got out of it was blind from too much reading. I am trying to find out what is required of myself, U.S. passport holder, and my Thai GF, Thai passport holder, to make a 30 day trip to New Zealand.

Thanks for all advice in advance. This is a great forum and I appreciate the sharing here.

Newbie Here. I have been reading the TV posts and the New Zealand government sites and all I got out of it was blind from too much reading. I am trying to find out what is required of myself, U.S. passport holder, and my Thai GF, Thai passport holder, to make a 30 day trip to New Zealand.

Thanks for all advice in advance. This is a great forum and I appreciate the sharing here.

Hi,

For you, go here www.glossary.immigration.govt.nz/VisaFreeCountries.htm

For your GF, go here www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/visitors/quickcheck.htm

and then I assume to here www.immigration.govt.nz/branch/BangkokBranchHome/Checklists/

Good Luck...

Every year, in September, we are going for a week of ski around Queenstown.

We never had any problem.

For her (Thai citizen), visa in advance, upon showing airline ticket & hotel booking.

For myself (Belgian citizen), visa on arrival.

Thanks for that, LG. Where did you have to go to get her visa, the NZ embassy?

NZ Embassy would be correct

Street Address: M Thai Tower, 14th Floor, All Seasons Place, 87 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330

Postal Address: PO Box 2719, Bangkok 10500, Thailand

Telephone: +66 2 254 2530

Facsimile: +66 2 253 9045

Email: [email protected]

Office hours: Mon-Fri 0800-1200, 1300-1630 hrs

love Queenstown!! :)

Street Address: M Thai Tower, 14th Floor, All Seasons Place, 87 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330

Just a note about the NZ embassy. The times I've been there, there are only two staff: a Thai lady at the front desk who speaks very good English, and a Kiwi bloke who is a really nice guy. I had to get a police check certified by the Embassy, but it was a new form that really said nothing due to NZ's privacy laws. I told him that I had signed the waiver to let them put everything down. He went back to his office, the phone lit up for a good 10 minutes, then he came back and said he had spoken with a ministry back in NZ, and was now happy to certify the report. A ridiculously small amount of money, maybe 400 baht, and I was happily on my way.

So I'm sure you will be treated well :D

• 5 months later...

is it really so simple for a thai to get this nz tourist visa?

i am from queenstown actually.. and i am just about to go back to thailand next week and try to sort out the visa for my thai gf.

i am not a nz resident, i'm here on a work visa for 4+ years now.

it doesnt look so simple to me,, i am going to transfer money into her account and get heaps of documents from thai translted to english.. just whatever we can get..

she doesnt own any land, doesn have a job or school,. but we'll get some docs from police and what ever else we can.. but i have no idea what to do if she doesnt get this visa.. any experienced success stories with nz tourist visa for a thai girl??

Just a note about the NZ embassy. The times I've been there, there are only two staff: a Thai lady at the front desk who speaks very good English, and a Kiwi bloke who is a really nice guy. I had to get a police check certified by the Embassy, but it was a new form that really said nothing due to NZ's privacy laws. I told him that I had signed the waiver to let them put everything down. He went back to his office, the phone lit up for a good 10 minutes, then he came back and said he had spoken with a ministry back in NZ, and was now happy to certify the report. A ridiculously small amount of money, maybe 400 baht, and I was happily on my way.

So I'm sure you will be treated well :D

I wonder if he wants a job at the Australian Embassy even on a part time basis would be an improvement.

• 4 weeks later...
can i go for the partnership visa even tho i'm not a nz resident or citizen but i am a nz work visa holder for over 4 years

whats the tips on that?

i've got the visa forms here with me and it looks do-able

Australian citizenship has some benifit if you are to sponsor your gf. Not so sure that throwing a heap of money into her bank account will be that productive, as what is important is the recent banking history rather than the balance.

I have just left New Zealand 8 weeks ago to move here with my wife. I was a NZ Customs/Immigration Officer so I know a litle bit about this subject. My wife even before we were married never had any difficulties getting tourist visa's for NZ but there is no reason why she would. If you are a straight up honest to goodness visitor you will get your visa, yes there are formalities, proof of your financial status to show that sufficient funds can be provided for the stay, a letter of support from you stating what your circumstances are, employment etc, and from the lady, a police clearance certificate, and the normal personal information, what is the relationship, where will you be staying etc.

The NZ immigration system works well and is an efficient model in most cases. I can only advise that you be honest and upfront to them when applying. I have seen some Thai Citizens refused entry at the border because it was found out that they were not in NZ for the reasons they had previously stated. If you are a genuine visitor who intends to leave prior to their visa expiring and to follow the conditions on their visa then you will be fine. At the international port of entry you will be asked to provide return flight documents to the officer "which you must have", they can be accepted in electronic forms such as a laptop or iPhone but this is not advised as it is time consuming, paper documents of yourflight details are much better.

As for partnership appications on a work visa, sorry but I am fairly certain that you cannot. Depending on what year you entered NZ you will be eligible after a period of time to apply for residence and I think it is still 5 years to apply for citizenship if you want that. With either of those 2 yes you can defintely sponsor under partnership, you can quite easily chck these facts out on the NZ Department of Labour website. As for fees, current requirements and timelines I cannot advise, they are all subject to change and change they often do! so do get yourself to the NZ Embassy or visit their website to get the latest information and enjoy your trip.