PM Plans to Upgrade and Rename Hua Hin Airport

4 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo courtesy: Wikimedia

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has set his sights on revitalizing Hua Hin airport with a series of upgrades and a proposed name change to "Petchcharat Hua Hin". The PM, in collaboration with Transport Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit, recently visited the airport to assess the potential for expansion and improvement.

The main focus of the proposed upgrades is to enhance the airport's capacity to cater to more flights, both domestic and international.

During the visit, the Prime Minister outlined plans to introduce new routes, such as Hat Yai-Hua Hin and Malaysia-Hua Hin, to bolster tourism in the seaside resort town. Additionally, there is a possibility of adding a route to a north-eastern province, further increasing connectivity to the area.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Thai PBS

The Prime Minister expressed his optimism about the airport's potential to attract more tourists if the existing runway is extended and facilities are modernized.

He instructed the transport permanent secretary to conduct a feasibility study to determine if the runway extension and other necessary upgrades can be completed within two years.

In a bid to give the airport a fresh identity that reflects the region's charm, the Prime Minister suggested renaming it "Petch Hua Hin". This move is seen as a symbolic step towards rebranding the airport and promoting Hua Hin as a key destination for travelers.

The proposed upgrades and renaming of Hua Hin airport are part of a broader strategy to boost tourism in the area. By improving air connectivity and modernizing infrastructure, the government aims to attract more visitors to the picturesque resort town, further bolstering its reputation as a premier destination in Thailand.

image.jpeg

Pictures courtesy: Facebook Hua Hin Today

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-14

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

He's always good for a joke 😂😂😂

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a Hua Hin resident I would welcome more flights into this airport especially if it started a regular flight to the south of Thailand (Phuket, Krabi). My wife pointed out that it is likely it would mainly be used by residents as a tourist visiting Hua Hin and then Phuket is likely to want to fly back to Bangkok after their holiday and not return to Hua Hin.

One negative point is that I’ve heard all this before and instead of more flights we’ve lost the only international flight to Kuala Lumpur and so currently the only place it flies is Chiang Mai.

• Agree 1

Immediate reaction after seeing the headline was that now they want to do the same smart  "name upgrade" thingy as they did for Bang Sue station, but seems not. So far anyway. 

Posted (edited)

Great idea, it's the only place in Thailand where the pilots can actually see the runway threw the air pollution.

A bit of a tourist killer when they look out the window and cannot see anything but pollution and when they get off the plane they start choking.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In a bid to give the airport a fresh identity that reflects the region's charm, the Prime Minister suggested renaming it "Petch Hua Hin".

I offer Hua Hin Tenbu Airport.

"Tenbu" was an apostle of the Buddha, closer to humans than to Buddha. There's nothing more human in all their goodness and flaws than foreign tourists. 

• Haha 1

PM "I have another idea" with another unnecessary one! Too close to Bangkok to fly and too few passengers in and around Hua for connections to Malaysia and other destinations.:cheesy:

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Have this not been said before?

November 2019 - Plans for new Hua Hin airport terminal, extend the runway, more flights, triple the air passengers

https://thailand-construction.com/plans-for-new-hua-hin-airport-terminal-extend-the-runway-more-flights-triple-the-air-passengers/

April 2023 - Increase in international flights expected for Hua Hin this year.

https://www.whatsoninhuahin.com/increase-in-international-fights-expected-for-hua-hin-airport-this-year/

August 2023 - Hua Hin airport expansion expected to boost tourism.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/hua-hin-airport-expansion-expected-to-boost-tourism-89138.php

Yes, and now it's been said again....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

As we used to say back in the day -

All talk and no trouser

"All talk no trousers" ain't heard that in years, made me laugh 😆 

Rename it Airport Zero. Very close to the number of flights this hapless airport handles. It may be the least utilized airport in SE Asia. 

More flights would be a good thing. How about 20-30 flights a day? 

I object to the use of the word 'bolster' in this report. On AN we are completely conditioned to the word 'boost'. 😋

As to a name change.....Hua Hin is an Amphoe of the Province of Prachuap Khirikhan whereas Phetch(aburi) is a Province of which the nearest Amphoe is Cha Am. For the suggested name change to be accurate and meaningful it could be 'Hua Hin Cha Am airport.

Someone I know wanted to fly there in the evening and was told the airport was closed at 6pm. 😁

What I expect to happen is that they will spend millions on the new name made of stainless steel letter and then someone will tell them it should be taken down and renamed in honor of you know who.