Problems With Skype On True 4mb

tweezer

Hi All,

I'm experienceing problems with inbound voice on Skype. I use a True 4Mb ADSL connection through a Netgear DG834G router.

When using Skype, the people I talk to can hear me no problem. However, incoming voices are garbled, patchy and echoey... you can't understand anything the person at the other end is saying. Again, they can hear me no problem.

Are there any issues with True that someone else has experienced here?

Or, is it the router settings? I have tried to adjust the MTU packet size settings in the router, but it doesn't really help. Can anyone reccommend some router settings to check or adjust that might help?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

--M.

Thanks for the replies.

I finally figured out that this router - Netgear DG834G v4 - has problems with the latest firmware update which I applied recently. I downgraded the firmware to version 5.01.09 and now iSkype works just fine.

Cheers,

--M.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies.

I finally figured out that this router - Netgear DG834G v4 - has problems with the latest firmware update which I applied recently. I downgraded the firmware to version 5.01.09 and now iSkype works just fine.

Cheers,

--M.

Ive been having the same problems with SKYPE recently, but with TTT Maxinet 3MB. It seems I can be heard clearly, but the sound that I hear is scratchy, and very, very broken. Not sure if this is symptomatic of the problems TTT have been having recently or if there is any solution?

I am having the exact same problem. I was using my neighbors wireless TOT connection and was able to use Skype beautifully. Then, I had TTT installed and the people I talk to can hear and see me fine but I cannot hear or see them.

Are there any settings in the router or on the computer to help with this? I wouldn't think so since it has always worked fine with TOT. For people who have TTT, is this a new problem that has just come about or have you never been able to use Skype with TTT?

I am having the exact same problem. I was using my neighbors wireless TOT connection and was able to use Skype beautifully. Then, I had TTT installed and the people I talk to can hear and see me fine but I cannot hear or see them.

Are there any settings in the router or on the computer to help with this? I wouldn't think so since it has always worked fine with TOT. For people who have TTT, is this a new problem that has just come about or have you never been able to use Skype with TTT?

What TTT package is it you have? Some certain packages from TTT don't allow VOIP (e.g Indy packages)

Hey Luke,

If you want to use Skype with Maxnet Indy, you'll have to forget about seeing their smiling faces. Turn your web cam off and you can have a decent voice only conversation, but the minute you turn on your web cam and try for a video conversation, the whole thing goes to hel_l. Your upload speeds are not effected so they can still see and hear you, but as soon as you start up your web cam your download speeds are immediately severely throttled. Premier doesn't have this problem, but considering what is happening to Maxnet at the moment, all bets are off.

Higgy

those fake rumours about indy and voip seems to live long... there's no problem using voip or torrent with indy, just the bandwith is limited but it's not an issue especially with skype.

Hi All,

I'm experienceing problems with inbound voice on Skype. I use a True 4Mb ADSL connection through a Netgear DG834G router.

When using Skype, the people I talk to can hear me no problem. However, incoming voices are garbled, patchy and echoey... you can't understand anything the person at the other end is saying. Again, they can hear me no problem.

Or, is it the router settings? I have tried to adjust the MTU packet size settings in the router, but it doesn't really help. Can anyone reccommend some router settings to check or adjust that might help?

Cheers,

--M.

I adventured the same problem though I am with Maxnet/TT&T. Six weeks ago, Skype worked, FTP worked. Today FTP to my German server works slow, Skype is scrambled. The reason: Maxnet sold more and more internet accounts, thus the bandwidth of the international lines, which they have to lease, are not sufficient anymore, and are congested most of the time. They have to buy more bandwidth, but for those companies profits are more important than customer satisfaction.

You can check your international bandwith by using http://www.speedtest.net/index.php . There you can choose the server closest to your SKYPE-Parner and find out. You also find statistics about your provider. In my case Maxnet offers 3m down and 0.5m up, which is sufficient, but only up to Bangkok, Macao and Hongkong when using Skype.

I remember a situation in Macao, where the company named CTM, which has the monopoly for all fixed telephone lines and the internet, provided a "first class" connectivity within Macao and the neighbouring Hongkong. But CTM did not invest in the lease of more international bandwidth. One day, the big companies in Macao stood up, complained, and threatened the local government to move to Hongkong, if there is no improvement of the international bandwidth provided.

The government then forced CTM to increase the bandwidth considerably. The 6 million dollar investment reduced their corporate gains from 55 million dollars to 49 million dollars in that year.

Top countries download/upload: Thailand Nr.67/55. That speaks for itself.

So what can I do? I (well, not me, but the owner of the house I'm renting) just signed the 1 year contract with TTT, we paid 3,200 baht to install it but I cannot use Skype and my downloads are very slow! I have to have Skype, it is a must. Will an upgrade to Premium fix my problem (is increasing my bandwidth from 3 to 4 or 5 what Premium means?)

Do I forget TTT and install TOT? I was using my neighbors TOT wireless before I got my own TTT and it downloaded and Skyped beautifully. I don't know why the owner put in TTT, she said TOT was crap but the facts seem to prove the reverse.

I Skype to the Houston area: ping 5520 D/L .61 and U/L .01 Mbs. Completely unusable.

Hi All,

Cheers,

--M.

I adventured the same problem though I am with Maxnet/TT&T. Six weeks ago, Skype worked, FTP worked. Today FTP to my German server works slow, Skype is scrambled. The reason: Maxnet sold more and more internet accounts, thus the bandwidth of the international lines, which they have to lease, are not sufficient anymore, and are congested most of the time. They have to buy more bandwidth, but for those companies profits are more important than customer satisfaction.

You can check your international bandwith by using http://www.speedtest.net/index.php . There you can choose the server closest to your SKYPE-Parner and find out. You also find statistics about your provider. In my case Maxnet offers 3m down and 0.5m up, which is sufficient, but only up to Bangkok, Macao and Hongkong when using Skype.

I remember a situation in Macao, where the company named CTM, which has the monopoly for all fixed telephone lines and the internet, provided a "first class" connectivity within Macao and the neighbouring Hongkong. But CTM did not invest in the lease of more international bandwidth. One day, the big companies in Macao stood up, complained, and threatened the local government to move to Hongkong, if there is no improvement of the international bandwidth provided.

The government then forced CTM to increase the bandwidth considerably. The 6 million dollar investment reduced their corporate gains from 55 million dollars to 49 million dollars in that year.

I've just spoken to TT&T customer support people at 1630 today. This is what I was told:

'We have plobrem with International Bandwidth, but we buy more already. Plobrem not yet fix for more one week, so internet slowly until end this mun. Maybe next mun can work again ok'

Doesn't sound very promising!

I told them that I want a refund since I didn't believe that they have given me the service that I paid for this month, and was told to go to my local TT&T shop. File a complaint and then ask for money back! Will see how that goes. It's not the 590 baht that matters, but if everyone who has been affected by this problem follows this procedure for a refund, perhaps it will prompt pro-active solutions from TT&T in the future. Surely if no one paid TT&T this month, that would be much more costly to them than actually buying more bandwidth to fix the problem.

Regarding SKYPE and TT&T Indy package; I have used this for the past 2 years, and have had no SKYPE problems (or other problems) until 2 weeks ago.

If anyone else tries for the refund, let me know how you get on!

Cheers

FF

Edited by FarangFlyer

Hi All,

Cheers,

--M.

I've just spoken to TT&T customer support people at 1630 today. This is what I was told:

'We have plobrem with International Bandwidth, but we buy more already. Plobrem not yet fix for more one week, so internet slowly until end this mun. Maybe next mun can work again ok'

Doesn't sound very promising!

I told them that I want a refund since I didn't believe that they have given me the service that I paid for this month, and was told to go to my local TT&T shop. File a complaint and then ask for money back! Will see how that goes. It's not the 590 baht that matters, but if everyone who has been affected by this problem follows this procedure for a refund, perhaps it will prompt pro-active solutions from TT&T in the future. Surely if no one paid TT&T this month, that would be much more costly to them than actually buying more bandwidth to fix the problem.

Regarding SKYPE and TT&T Indy package; I have used this for the past 2 years, and have had no SKYPE problems (or other problems) until 2 weeks ago.

If anyone else tries for the refund, let me know how you get on!

Cheers

FF

I cannot ask for a refund because my contract runs out this month. What do you recommend? Just wait until they buy more bandwidth? In my area Madnet/TT&T (Test Trouble &Trash) have the monopoly. It is just a pain in the butt!

I have not been able to use Skype with TTT/Maxnet Indy 3 MB for the 12 months I have had them as the ISP.

You can make a TEST CALL within Skype and check the quality.

If that one sounds ok then it might be the calling party which has problems or -

Without being biased I am tempted to remark True might be the culprit...

I use Skype at home at a True ADSL 2 MB Internet Connection - NO PROBLEM

In my Office I have "only" a 256 KB ADSL Line from CS Loxinfo (fixed IP = not shared) - NO PROBLEM

It may be a Router setting, some of my Friends had Problems with their Netgear Routers.

• 2 months later...
You can make a TEST CALL within Skype and check the quality.

If that one sounds ok then it might be the calling party which has problems or -

Without being biased I am tempted to remark True might be the culprit...

I use Skype at home at a True ADSL 2 MB Internet Connection - NO PROBLEM

In my Office I have "only" a 256 KB ADSL Line from CS Loxinfo (fixed IP = not shared) - NO PROBLEM

It may be a Router setting, some of my Friends had Problems with their Netgear Routers.

Hi eeryone, ok newbie to this thread... Having the same issues with Max Net as well ( have the Indy Package )... Router I was told could be reconfigured (not sure how to do that) as well as told the same as above - package is popular - and they can not handle so many users.. Latest we were just told is that we can not use web cam from 1:00pm - 12:00am (local Thai time).. If anyone has a solution to this - much appreciated (if posted already - sorry did not see it)..

Cheers!