Picking Up Extension Of Stay For Thai Wife

Hi ..

Im going to pick up my extension of stay for marrige in the bnext few days after having a 30 day consideration stamp..

the girl at works says that whatever time i get there whether its 8.30 or 10 i will still have to wait until 2pm which is when they hand them ouot...is that correct??Im goin to immigration in bangkok

cheers

You drop off your passport in the morning before noon and then they hand them out at 2PM.

If you want to hang around and wait it is probably best to go about 11:30 and drop off your passport, have a long lunch and come back at 2.

You drop off your passport in the morning before noon and then they hand them out at 2PM.

If you want to hang around and wait it is probably best to go about 11:30 and drop off your passport, have a long lunch and come back at 2.

Yes, this is what we were told yesterday when asking about this matter, but we were also told that somebody else can do the job on my behalf (i.e. wife). A risky thing for me because my wife would probably spend the waiting time in a shopping mall which could turn out to be costly (just joking).

My question: are there any reasonably good restaurants (Thai or western or ....anything) in this area within Tuk-Tuk reach where we could spend the waiting time? If possible a restaurant with outdoor area for smokers.

opalhort

Yes, this is what we were told yesterday when asking about this matter, but we were also told that somebody else can do the job on my behalf (i.e. wife). A risky thing for me because my wife would probably spend the waiting time in a shopping mall which could turn out to be costly (just joking).

Are you sure they said someone else can do it on your behalf, all my old stamps say that you must do it in person.

My friend and I wanted to travel to Phuket before my big move back to the west, but he has to take his passport to immigration for the stamp next week, it would be great if his wife could do it for him.

The other option is dropping of your passport before 15:00 (best 14:30) and pick it up at 16:00, this saves some time. Only 1.5 hours wait. As far as restaurants is concerned, there is a coffee shop/vegetarian place exactly opposite, they have an outside smoking area and good coffee, the food however is vegetarian and relatively greasy. So for coffee and cake that is an option.

Are you sure they said someone else can do it on your behalf, all my old stamps say that you must do it in person.

Yes, the stamp says 'in person' but my wife asked the girl at the counter where people deposit the PPs and she confirmed that anybody can collect the PP.

And looking at the people waiting there at least 50% were Thai, mostly women, so I guess it is correct.

The only problem I could see is if an application has been denied and urgent action by the applicant is needed.

opalhort

The other option is dropping of your passport before 15:00 (best 14:30) and pick it up at 16:00, this saves some time. Only 1.5 hours wait.

The afternoon drop-off is an option but for me the problem is that after 4-5PM the traffic from Suan Plu to my home is usually at a gridlock and it can take me around 2 hours to get home compared to 30-40min during the day!

As for the restaurant info, thanks. I've no problem with vegetarian food, so may give it a try. It certainly can't be worse than hanging around at IMM.

opalhort

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Today my wife went to Suan Plu, deposited the PP at 10:50 and got it back at 13:15 stamped as should be.

No questions asked why I did not come in person.

While waiting my wife asked some officer about what happens if an application is rejected while under consideration and we would find out only on the last day.

Reply:

Applications are usually approved within the first 2-3 weeks, if there is a problem IMM will contact you by phone (this is why they ask for a phone number when filing the application). If you did not hear from IMM during this period you can rest assured that the application has been approved and the final stamp is only a formality.

NOTE: I'm only talking about Suan Plu BKK!

opalhort