Chiang Mai Mayor Stops Working

sriracha john

Chiang Mai Mayor stops working

Chiang Mai, 24 June 2009 (NNT) - Chiang Mai Municipality Mayor has stopped working after the Governor of Chiang Mai suggested that she follow the Administrative Court's verdict.

Chiang Mai Municipality Mayor, Deuntemduang Na Chiang Mai, has announced that she would step down from her role as a mayor of Chiang Mai Municipality.

She said that after the Administrative Court had judged that she was not qualified for the position, the Governor of Chiang Mai had sent her a letter suggesting that she follow the interpretation of the Office of the Council of State.

She insisted that she had worked honestly, while her voting campaign was also legal. During her time as mayor, she had developed many projects which would benefit the public. She promised to compete for the position of mayor again.

After the press conference, people presented her with bouquets. She then paid respect to the spirit house before leaving without giving any further interviews to the press.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-06-24

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiang Mai Municipality Mayor, Deuntemduang Na Chiang Mai, has announced that she would step down from her role as a mayor of Chiang Mai Municipality.

She said that after the Administrative Court had judged that she was not qualified for the position

good grief... this is your mayor?:D:) I had no idea.... she's quite a looker... :D

Deuntemduang_Na_Chiang_Mai.jpg

anyway, does anyone know why "she was not qualified for the position" ?

If anything, as young and intelligent, she sounds "over-qualified" :):D ...

snipped from the article about the CM Ex-pats club speech by her:

Dr. Duentemduang began by saying that she considered the occasion to be "a rare opportunity to talk to global friends". She gave a brief background of her life to date, including her age, (36), the fact that she had been Chiang Mai born and educated, and that she had continued her education in the United States, gaining a Master's degree and Ph.D in Economics.

Edited by sriracha john

She was not a resident of Chiang Mai at the time of the elections, or not long enough, something like that.

ahh ok... thank you for that...

sorta sounds funky... what with her being, "na Chiang Mai", and all...

and born and raised....

but oh well... who will replace her? Some grumpy, frumpy, corrupt, older than dirt, fatter than sin, floppy and demented guy?

Edited by sriracha john

but oh well... who will replace her? Some grumpy, frumpy, corrupt, older than dirt, fatter than sin, floppy and demented guy?

well probably the person which made her to leave trough a VERY dirty smear campaign ( video of her private life) - defaming her in a way as it was done in her case shows the "class" of her competitor.

I'd prefer an even younger gay guy

I think we all know that already. :)

It's a shame that the ex-mayor is leaving as she certainly seems to have Chiang Mai at the top of her list of priorities and furthering herself as less of one. Unfortunately it is nigh on impossible to filter all the gossip and rumour but it does appear that she made a genuine mistake that has been corrected and will now allow her to run for office again, best of luck to her.

JxP

By the Election rules that the candidates for Mayor of Chiang Mai, muse resident in the city at least 1 year before the election date. Right now, she had lived in the municipal area for over than 2 years. Hopefully she is back. She is strong, clever, honest and had done so good for the city at the last 2 years.

Because she is pretty and has good 'English' press, you all think she is something special.

What has she done? Does anyone know anything about her?

If you knew, you would not support her, in my opinion.

Don't forget she is a Thai Politician, in every sense...

Edited by Ajarn

Because she is pretty and has good 'English' press, you all think she is something special.

My wife, who is friends with her family, says she has been an exceedingly poor mayor. She (my wife) also recants her protestations it was not the mayor in those videos. Not that that should matter, but of course it does very much. She's finished I imagine. Too bad.

My wife, who is friends with her family, says she has been an exceedingly poor mayor. She (my wife) also recants her protestations it was not the mayor in those videos. Not that that should matter, but of course it does very much. She's finished I imagine. Too bad.

Yes, please elaborate ...

Every Thai I know in Chiang Mai dislikes her. I don't know why.

What exactly was she doing before she became mayor??

No one seems to know.

Army, wasn't it?

edit: Just checked. Held rank of captain in Thai Army when elected CM mayor at the age of 34. Bachelor and Masters degrees from CMU and a PhD from UC Irvine. So, no real life experience to speak of. Not that any of the other candidates ever do either...

Edited by lannarebirth

According to Thai Wikipedia (in my own, probably imperfect, translation):

She has taught law and social science at Chulachomklao Officer's Academy, has worked as a teacher and tutor for master's degree students at another army school ( โรงเรียนเสนาธิการทหารบก ), been an aide of the spokesman for the Armed Forces, and vice spokesman for the Democrat party.

She holds the military rank of Captain.

Dr. Deuntemduang received her master and doctoral degree in Economics from the University of California, Irvine, USA. She started her career by having achieved the rank of captain in the Royal Thai Army, taught at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy, and she has been assistant spokesperson for the Royal Thai Army. She entered politics when she became the deputy spokesperson for the Democrat Party, and sat on a number of working committees for social development. She is now the first lady mayor in the history of Chiang Mai Municipality who is directly elected by those registered residents of Chiang Mai Municipality and has her term for 4 years

http://www.intgcm.thehostserver.com/diary2008_April_08th.htm

Dr. Deuntemduang received her master and doctoral degree in Economics from the University of California, Irvine, USA. She started her career by having achieved the rank of captain in the Royal Thai Army, taught at Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy, and she has been assistant spokesperson for the Royal Thai Army. She entered politics when she became the deputy spokesperson for the Democrat Party, and sat on a number of working committees for social development. She is now the first lady mayor in the history of Chiang Mai Municipality who is directly elected by those registered residents of Chiang Mai Municipality and has her term for 4 years

http://www.intgcm.thehostserver.com/diary2008_April_08th.htm

No sub leiutenants in the Thai army?

A rhetorical question is only effective if the answer is known to the audience.

I'll admit that I know little about her other than she seems to have made an effort to tidy up Chiang Mai, albeit cosmetically. and I also recall hearing good words about her from expats who attended a meeting where she presented.

The position of mayor will obviously be taken up by a politician that is a given! However this lady, by gender, appearance and age appears to be a breath of fresh air and possibly at the not-so-evil end of the political spectrum. All politicians are equally evil but some are less equally evil than others, no?

I have noticed that since a certain video allegedly featuring the lady in question became freely available I have heard some negative comments from potential voters but aside from that I tend to avoid politics in my conversations and would not assume to know what the general feeling of the electorate is.

Would you care to enlighten us, Ajarn?

JxP

This may be what Ajarn does not like

2002-2004 Ministry of Public Health: To Be Number One Project, Bangkok, Thailand

- Helped plan and implement initiatives to prevent and alleviate drug problem among Thai youths

Basically to have any power at the local level you need to have the local connections and knowledge of its cliques and all the stuff that goes with it. From what I have heard this is something she lacks. It needs someone who really strives to bring the heads of the cliques together and who can somehow rise over the small group mentality. Obviously she doesn't have what it takes.

I reckon anyone who has ever served and succeeded on the parish council of your typical English village would fit the bill quite well!!!

I wouldn't mind doing the job. However, because I am not Thai, I don't think that I am eligible for the position. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

This may be what Ajarn does not like

2002-2004 Ministry of Public Health: To Be Number One Project, Bangkok, Thailand

- Helped plan and implement initiatives to prevent and alleviate drug problem among Thai youths

Wow that sounds very bad !

I don't want to divide my attention. :)

divide your attention? well turn your attention to reading copy and pick up this weeks chiang mai mail read the restaurant review!!. It is the highest praise of any restaurant ever in that rag i have ever read almost a full page,,,

o.k. pick one of the following three ..it is not the duds , nor the lime tree ...it's____

UG you guessed it..!!

the mayor is a very educated , intellegent beautiful lady which happens to be democratic party spokes person in CM( is this correct?) ?

if so this is deep in the oppositions territory so maybe this has something to do with her having problems..

Edited by gatorhead333

Basically to have any power at the local level you need to have the local connections and knowledge of its cliques and all the stuff that goes with it. From what I have heard this is something she lacks. It needs someone who really strives to bring the heads of the cliques together and who can somehow rise over the small group mentality. Obviously she doesn't have what it takes.

I reckon anyone who has ever served and succeeded on the parish council of your typical English village would fit the bill quite well!!!

Just my 2 satangs, she has a Doctorate degree from a prestigious university in the USA, no small feat. She is a native of CM and is quite aware I'm sure

of the city and its potential and its problems. She is a threat to the old boy network here. She was challenged immediately after the election for the same offense. She was found not guilty ! Then the matter was taken to Bangkok where the first finding was overturned 2 years later, after how many changes in government in Bangkok ? It would appear some people are really paranoid of a lady who could make this city into a world class place.

Too bad for CM if we lose this leader. Chok Dee

afraid of someone who can change