Holiday Money

pj123

I have family coming from the UK who have asked about holiday money for here and Cambodia. I have been following the thread about charges for ATM machines. Just double checking that for Thailand, the most economical way to withdraw money is over the counter at a bank using a UK debit card as there is no charge.

The most economical way is to bring travellers cheques, you pay a very small stamp fee, get a better rate, I personally thinks it's also less hassle.

Whilst you don't pay the 150 Baht at the counter, I think, most UK banks will charge you a fee and a conversion rate.

How about you take out the cash for them as and when (if you have a local account), keep a tally, and have them transfer the dosh to your farangland account (if you have one) at the end? Did this when the folks came over a while back and it worked well. Bit of a pisser if the plane goes down and they haven't transfered yet though :)

Thanks for the replies. I think a combination of Travellers Cheques and bank cards as a backup will work best.

Son't forget they will have to pay commission when they purchase the TC's and pay again when they change them in Thailand.

Brigante7.