Iphone From Canada

i am getting an iphone (3g quadband) here in canada and am wondering if i will be able to use it in phuket. If i cant i will buy something locally. Im planning on being there for more than 3 months.

Ideally i need somehting with gps (driving maps) and internet access to check email etc..

What companies should i consider? Is data expensive? Will i be able to tether it to my laptop when away to phi phi or other islands?

Thanks a bunch

You will need to have a IPhone that is unlocked from a specific carrier....

Go to where you bought the IP{hone and ask them if they will unlock the phone so you can use a carrier while on vacation.

(They may not do this siting their contract terms)

If not go underground... There are many way you can unlock you phone... surf your local Craigslist for "IPhone Unlock" to find dealers who will unlock it for a small fee or if you are computer savy you can do it yourself with Pwntool & UltraSn0w...

Once in Thailand go to either DTac or AIS (There are others but these are the biggest)... they will sell you a sim and get you set up with data (There are plans for 20hr ~ 100baht)... They do not have 3g in Thailand only the slower Edge...

Also if you are going to be out of the big cities - look for a carrier that has service in the area that you will live...

Here is a resource (Which I have not tried yet)... That may be of help for Tethering

http://www.benm.at/2009/06/13/helpbenmat/

Edited by sfokevin

i am getting an iphone (3g quadband) here in canada and am wondering if i will be able to use it in phuket. If i cant i will buy something locally. Im planning on being there for more than 3 months.

Ideally i need somehting with gps (driving maps) and internet access to check email etc..

What companies should i consider? Is data expensive? Will i be able to tether it to my laptop when away to phi phi or other islands?

Thanks a bunch

GPS on phi phi!?

... do check if the hardwares meant to operate for long in this intense heat and humidity?

make sure to get tax rebate if buy in Thailand, cos you'll pay tax going back to Canada with it.

theres internet cafes on phi phi and u dont have to worry about loosing your phone?

Thanks for your help.

I should be able to get it unlocked without problems. It sounds like i should have no problems using data and gps (maps) as well.

Cheers

Please when you get here and set it all up give us a post I and many others Im sure would be very interested to see the outcome :)

Thanks for your help.

I should be able to get it unlocked without problems. It sounds like i should have no problems using data and gps (maps) as well.

Cheers

Please when you get here and set it all up give us a post I and many others Im sure would be very interested to see the outcome :)

Do you mean to say that there is something wrong with my plan? am i being too ambitious? do you know some obvious details that im missing out on? any help would be greatly appreciated...

thanks