Anyone Riding Down To The Malaysian Motogp 2009?

jeeez... Tony mentions one road and then someone else mentions a completely different road and says 'lucky if ya ride this at 180'.

I've ridden the 2 on a Tiger250 and Tony is sure right when he sez sometimes having extra speed is better.

You can either go in the scooter lane at 90-100 or out in the clear right lane at a faster speed also being able to see further down the road.

I do not condone speeding but i will ride at the speed of the road eg: keeping up with other vehicles and overtaking the slower ones, same as i would back in the UK.

I had thought that anyone with one braincell would understand that my example was to make clear that driving against traffic flow is a common practice on EVERY ROAD in Thailand and especially on roads where the u-turns are thin spread like on the road Tony mentions.

I guess in the 15 years I'm here I have travelled almost the entire country and I can't count on 2 hands how many times that I have met a truck or other vehicle in the opposite direction right after a curve.

If you are there on your bike at 180 an hour then the chances are small that you can avoid a collision.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to say have a good, safe, ride down guys; haven't found a bike here yet (still!) so I'll be taking the Air Asia option.

First time to Sepang for me, after yesterday's racing/Stoner's comeback, it'll be a great weekend.

Yeah! What a race at Estoril! Jorge was flying and so good to see Stoner back in form and back on the podium as well! Loved Lorenzo's "moon walk" thing at the end too- Classic!

And now suddenly Rossi's seeming insurmountable points lead has been cut down to a mere 18 making the title competition interesting again!

The race at Sepang will be awesome! Can't wait!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Several posts have been removed.

Thai Visa would appreciate it if any ill will between members or other online arguments are kept off this forum.

Please keep it civil.

How come I only find these threads after the 'good stuff' is deleted? :)

yeah, sh-t. I must comit more time to TV around midnight :D:D:D

Hi All!

Sorry for not posting lately- super busy!

We are definitely still 100% on for MotoGP!

Jim and I went and got our green books translated for the border crossing (cost 25 Baht! :) ) and I still need to get an international driving permit which I'll do this week, though I've heard that Malaysia will accept a Thai Drivers License as well. (Anyone know if that's actually true?)

Regarding the route- Jim's driven to Malaysia before and recommends we push as far as we can on day one to allow ourselves extra time on day two for the border crossing and the Malaysian highways where apparently the speed limits are actually enforced evil.gif

So- to that end, I think we should aim for Hat Yai / Songkhla on day one-

BKKSongkhlaHatYaiMap.jpg

Naturally we should all be flexible and if anyone is fading or the weather gets nasty we can always stop earlier.

You're welcome to meet us anywhere along the route ScubaNinja. I think Jim suggested the Surat Thani airport as an easy rendezvous spot, but if you know of a better place that's cool too.

If we make an early (~6am) departure out of Bangkok I expect we'll reach Surat Thani by ~11am+/-. We'll keep you posted on our progress as we go and rendezvous with you along the way, ok?

Cool tank protector btw! cool.gif

Ride On!

Tony

Hey Everyone,

Have a great time (safe trip as well of course!)

Got our hands full with the benefit... Post loads of photos when ur back!

And YES! The ninja lass on the poster does make one want a sandw.....

Can you find a few for the benefit please.... u know,,,,, event staff! (lol)

Don't forget that the Kuala Lumpur International Bike Rally and Indie Music Fest is taking place the same weekend as MotoGP!

kuala-lumpur_bike_rally2009.jpg

BIKES & MUSIC

• Motorcycle Show

• Bike Competition

• Bike & Bikers Contest

• Poker Run

• Live Music

• Cultural Dance

• Indie Music Fest

• Concert

• Charity Bike Wash

• Motorparts Auctions

• Camp Site

• Bike Vendor

• Calendar Girls

• Motor Club Vendor

• Party-Food & Beverages

• Burn Out Pit

• Much More...

Wow! Gonna be a BUSY weekend! :)

Ride On!

Tony

Hi All!

Sorry for not posting lately- super busy!

We are definitely still 100% on for MotoGP!

Jim and I went and got our green books translated for the border crossing (cost 25 Baht! :) ) and I still need to get an international driving permit which I'll do this week, though I've heard that Malaysia will accept a Thai Drivers License as well. (Anyone know if that's actually true?)

Regarding the route- Jim's driven to Malaysia before and recommends we push as far as we can on day one to allow ourselves extra time on day two for the border crossing and the Malaysian highways where apparently the speed limits are actually enforced evil.gif

So- to that end, I think we should aim for Hat Yai / Songkhla on day one-

Naturally we should all be flexible and if anyone is fading or the weather gets nasty we can always stop earlier.

You're welcome to meet us anywhere along the route ScubaNinja. I think Jim suggested the Surat Thani airport as an easy rendezvous spot, but if you know of a better place that's cool too.

If we make an early (~6am) departure out of Bangkok I expect we'll reach Surat Thani by ~11am+/-. We'll keep you posted on our progress as we go and rendezvous with you along the way, ok?

Cool tank protector btw! cool.gif

Ride On!

Tony

Sounds good. Update me as you make your way down and depending on where everyone is, I will meet you in Surithani, or more likely at the 4-44 junction since then I don't have to backtrack so much.

Where did you get the translation done? I haven't done this yet. What did they tell you? You translate the license plate too? Do we need the plate translated in English on a sticker on the front as well?

Where did you get the translation done? I haven't done this yet. What did they tell you? You translate the license plate too? Do we need the plate translated in English on a sticker on the front as well?

Hi ScubaNINJA! :)

Get your green book translated at your DMV (same office that handles license plates, etc.) My understanding is that bikes do not require a sticker with the plate translated into English, but cars do.

Ride On!

Tony

Departure Thursday morning 0600 ride Bangkok-Hat Yai.

Friday Hat Yai-KL! :)

Jim came over to get his Givi panniers fitted for the trip and left with an Arrow exhaust instead! 18.gif

1018JimsArrowSm.jpg

Seems there was some hardware missing for the panniers so Jim will try and get that taken care of before we leave on Thursday, but either way, he will certainly SOUND a hel_l of a lot better with his new Arrow exhaust 14.gif

1018JimsArrow1Sm.jpg

RIDE ON!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

^

Here's the first leg from Bangkok to Surat Thani Airport:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....876709&z=7

Assuming we just gas and go all the way to the Surat Thani airport I believe we can cover that distance in about 5-6 hours. Assuming again that we make an on time 0600 departure from Bangkok that will put at the airport sometime between 1100-1200.

There is the possibility of delay due to the Asean meetings in Hua Hin / Cha Am this weekend. Security is tight and I'm told there are a lot of police and military checkpoints in the area. We'll see how that goes!

If we're significantly delayed I will of course call/SMS.

From the Surat Thani Airport it's another ~300km to Hat Yai:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...ie=UTF8&z=8

I've never been to Hat Yai and am hoping one of you might know a good place to stay. Otherwise we'll just wing it. I've got my GPS which can find us a hotel if we can't eyeball one.

Ride On!

Tony

My GPs says 4 hours from my house to the Surrithani Airport, which, based on my experience driving in that direction, probably means 2 3/4 hours.

Dropped the book off today for the translation. Pick it up Wednesday. 25 baht. Also got my re-enty stamp fro the non-I B., which is a much less laborious a process than the book translation, and done in a few minutes, yet cost 1000 baht! Shocked What a <deleted> rip off. Immigration is a cash cow for these people. Angry

See you Thursday!

Edited by Scubabuddha

I'm sure you guys have thought of this, but it will be faster if you take the Pranburi by-pass and not go thru Cha-am / Hua Hin.

Have a safe ride down - look for me on Saturday, I'll be at the track wearing a Ducati Thailand Desomcedici Day t-shirt.

I'm sure you guys have thought of this, but it will be faster if you take the Pranburi by-pass and not go thru Cha-am / Hua Hin.

Have a safe ride down - look for me on Saturday, I'll be at the track wearing a Ducati Thailand Desomcedici Day t-shirt.

Cheers Netfan,

We will most definitely take the bypass! No interest in dealing with the Asean mayhem in Cha Am and Hua Hin!

Hope to see you on Saturday at Sepang. Are you going to hit the KL Bike Rally? Sounds like a good one!

Riding down?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hope to see you on Saturday at Sepang. Are you going to hit the KL Bike Rally? Sounds like a good one!

Riding down?

Happy Trails!

Tony

I'm flying down - work on Monday morning :)

Where is the bike rally? A couple of years ago they had a bike show near the towers.

Gus

Edited by Netfan

I'm flying down - work on Monday morning :)

Where is the bike rally? A couple of years ago they had a bike show near the towers.

Gus

Hi Gus,

The Kuala Lumpur Bike Rally and Music Festival will take place at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian Park-

kuala-lumpur_bike_rally2009.jpg

See you there!

Tony

I see both you guy's posting intensively today.Weren't you supposed to be on your way to KL from 6am this morning or do you have a network connection on the bike. :)

Good observation...things are on standby at the moment. Some work things came up. May happen tomorrow.

I see both you guy's posting intensively today.Weren't you supposed to be on your way to KL from 6am this morning or do you have a network connection on the bike. :D

Good observation...things are on standby at the moment. Some work things came up. May happen tomorrow.

ScubaNinja,

Tomorrow it is! Ithailian still can't get away from work and we can't wait any longer. I'll blast on down to Surat Thani tomorrow by myself, same rendezvous point, ok? Then on to Hat Yai. Have you been there before? I haven't. Perhaps it'll be a case of the blind leading the blind- that's the best way to travel anyway IMO :)

Ride safe and see you there!

Tony

Well that's it, I'm officially a soft cock... :D

Thunder and massive rain this morning and it didn't stop raining in Bangkok until an hour ago.

It's still raining in Chumphon and Prachuap Kirikhan. Too late in the day now anyway to make it to Hat Yai in one go. Was really looking forward to MotoGP, but mother nature has decided otherwise.

I'm headed to Chiang Mai for the Golden Triangle Riders party instead. :)

Ride On!

T

Well that's it, I'm officially a soft cock... :D

Thunder and massive rain this morning and it didn't stop raining in Bangkok until an hour ago.

It's still raining in Chumphon and Prachuap Kirikhan. Too late in the day now anyway to make it to Hat Yai in one go. Was really looking forward to MotoGP, but mother nature has decided otherwise.

I'm headed to Chiang Mai for the Golden Triangle Riders party instead. :)

Ride On!

T

I knew there was a reason... never heard of a little rain to put you off riding. :D Somehow I knew even with 15 ppl interested I might be doing this one alone.

Had a fantastic ride to Hat Zai, (I seem to have found a kezboard that has transposed the z and y. Strange. Oh well. Ill go just with it) Sunnz skies so far. Ive seen 3 other groups of riders todaz, two going the other direction, and one past me at 140+ while I was gassing up. Never saw them again. There are apearentlz several routes from Krabi to Trang, as I kept seeing signs sazing turn left when mz GPS told me to go straigt. Since mz GPS is often wrong, I took one of the rights and was rewarded with fantastic twistzs through rice paddzs completelz devoid of traffic. It was then that a groups went bz the other direction on what looked like vintage restored Harlezs. Verz cool. Stazing ath the Racha Hotel on recommendation of a BM here on TV. 480baht a night. Decent rooms, and a locked carport for the bike. Thez let me know ahead of time the hot water isnt working. Cold water is still kinda warm tho.

Pics and trip report to follow.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Awesome Scuba Ninja! :D

I'm very happy to hear you're powering on and am sorry again I wussed out.

I know- a real biker would never be put off by rain. I need to have my head examined :)

Must be Karma, because it was MAD traffic getting out of Bangkok with a fair bit of flooding and average speed was perhaps 45km/hr. Then shortly before Nakhon Sawan it started raining again. :D

At that rate I wouldn't have reached Chiang Mai until late late so I wussed out again and returned to Bangkok on empty roads and wouldn't you know it- the sun finally came out :D

Wishing you blue skies and smooth roads on your way to KL. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Ride On!

Tony

I knew there was a reason... never heard of a little rain to put you off riding. :) Somehow I knew even with 15 ppl interested I might be doing this one alone.

Kudo's to you Scubabuddha for taking the trip alone.I was also following this topic from the start as I would like to go there one time,cos I have a fiend working in the kawa team,but I'm not in for a race against the clock to get there and on my own I would also not do it.But same as you I knew from the time you started the topic that you would have to go on your own.I remember how some of the same interested posters let down RusticCharm last year.

Cheers,have a safe ride.

Wow! Some awesome races! A great 250cc birthday win for Hiroshi Aoyama after trading first with Simoncelli more times than I could count- What a battle- wow! And a surprise ending for 2nd with Barbera snagging the win in the video replay which showed a tie- I can't believe Simoncelli ended up 3rd based on lap time! Stoner was amazing in the rain delayed GP.

Hope you had a good one Scuba Ninja! Have a safe ride home.

Happy Trails,

Tony