Bank Offering Car Loan To Foreigners

hondo

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :) . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Anyone know what is the annual road tax for the very small Honda Jazz?

Any clues?

Any help deeply appreciated

Hondo

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :) . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Any clues?

Hondo

Usually is difficult to get a loan for foreigners unless you have a pemanent visa and work permit. I would be careful anyway to take a loan in your name and let the car with the girlfriend. Even if the finance in in your name, someone could drive and have a accident and you are responsabile. Yes insurance pay for repairs, but the car still a "Accident Car" wich will lose on value and later will be difficult to sale. I recommend to buy a cheaper car, wich you could afford to buy cash, register in your name and DON'T let any GF or Family menber to use it, as they ususally never take care of it. Second opinion, if you really want buy a new car, put the finance in your girlfriends name. So she is responsabile if anything happen, but of course the car will belong to here if you finished the payments.

This one is easy

Just get a loan in your country or wherever your based, send the money to your girlfriend, let her choose her own car, put it in her name and just get her to agree you can use it anytime you're in Thailand.

Sorted,

:)

farang can not borrow money to buy a car. Period.

In any case, first you need a bank account. Good luck with that !

I have bought three cars and all on finance in Thailand. you need to have worked for a certain amount of time in the same company, you need minimum 20% down payment and you need a Thai National as Garantee. its not too hard, I would know as I have done it three times.

got 2 cars on my name the same way as @onnut. Can't remember how much % for down payment. But not less than 20%.

I have the non-b and work permit. I am afraid it will be impossible to get the finance on tourist visa.

Farang can borrow to buy a car....but generally needs a WP, a credit history and be in good standing with their bank, and for first time purchase a Thai national Co-singatory is required..

Tourist visa. No work permit.

have financed 2 cars in my name same year. Yaris was less than 100k down. Vigi 4x4 auto 4 door was 25% down. Several threads on this already.

Just see a dealer pick yor car and they start working with finance. You will need a thai to guarantee, and if he/she has income and pay tax its more easy with low down.

When some posters say its impossible, they r far out and have no knowledge about LOS. :)

As I recall road tax for Jazz is 700 baht, cause small engine. Insurance like 20k baht.

I have bought three cars and all on finance in Thailand. you need to have worked for a certain amount of time in the same company, you need minimum 20% down payment and you need a Thai National as Garantee. its not too hard, I would know as I have done it three times.

I only needed a Thai co-singnatory on the first one, on the second, asked this exact question, and was told....."you no problem now, no need Thai to sign", but yes down payments anything from 20% to 30% (my last car, as it was a 4X4)

• Like 1

It would seem gerry77 wouldnt have a clue. This is the second post this morning that he has posted that is complete utter rubbish. :)

I got the road tax for my jazz a few weeks ago, 1800B just over that...

You can loan money to buy a car, it is called finance... Easy to get if you have a job here...

If you put down more than 30% you will not need any Thai so guarantee you... (Now, that depends on the shop you go to)...

Also you need a proper visa...

DO NEVER PUT THE CAR IN YOUR GF's NAME... That is just asking for trouble...

There can be less down payment, they start at 0% but then you do need a Thai guarantor...

Edited by snowflake

Actually you can buy a car without a Thai national co-signing.........but you need to put 50% down. At least that is what I had to do. (I have a WP)

Sorry, just re-read snowflakes post, he (or she) is correct.

Edited by CDNinKS

It would seem gerry77 wouldnt have a clue. This is the second post this morning that he has posted that is complete utter rubbish. :)

Maybe starts the Mekong or Chang a little too early in the morning.?? :D

As a rough guide, my truck costs about

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

I haven't gone into finance as it is a more complicated calculation and these are very rough figures but they prove a point. If the OP wants a car, he could hire one for about 10-15k a month and not have any ownership or finance hassles. It depends on how much he wants to give his GF a car to drive around in, how much he trusts her etc.

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

I haven't gone into finance as it is a more complicated calculation and these are very rough figures but they prove a point. If the OP wants a car, he could hire one for about 10-15k a month and not have any ownership or finance hassles. It depends on how much he wants to give his GF a car to drive around in, how much he trusts her etc.

Car Rent, new one for 10'k with correct rully rental insurance, comercial type? where is it? look like somebody gets cars for free to rent them for 10 grand a mount.

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

Car Rent, new one for 10'k with correct rully rental insurance, comercial type? where is it? look like somebody gets cars for free to rent them for 10 grand a mount.

BKK Post, 9-15 k month. Avis, Hertz, Budget, TVR.

Vios, City.

I am an American and I have had a bank account in Thailand since the first time I went in Jan. 2007. I had no trouble getting the account in my name and my girlfriends. We married in May 2007 and they changed her last name on the account prettty easy too. They also have several banks in Thailand that are also in other countries so you should be able to find a bank that is in Thailand and your home country too so it may be possible to get the loabn that way I would think. Haven't tried that as I usually try to pay cash when I buy. Looking at cars now too but will probably buy used so I can pay cash. Hope this helps!

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :D . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Any clues?

Hondo

Dear Hondo,

Please send me your address so I can come to you and hit your over the head!!! :)

If you buy a car in Thailand, do it under your own steam... do not leave it with your girlfriend, do not put it in her's or someone else's name, etc. etc. not matter how much you "LOVE" each other... now.

It just sends the wrong message and will make it more difficult and more expensive for the next guy she has sex with if she thinks it is that easy to get a car from a man.

If you are looking to make payments it means you cannot afford to 'waste' money in this way... SO DON'T!!!

Smartest thing you have done is join ThaiVisa...NOW READ A COUPLE OF THOUSAND BAD RELATIONSHIP STORIES BEFORE YOU SPEND A SINGLE SATANG!!!

If you really really really need to buy a car and want to establish credit and get a loan...put the amount you want to borrow in a Bangkok bank like Citibank or HSBC or Bank of America savings account... then arrange a 'passbook loan' using your savings as a collateral guarantee. You may need to speak with a few bank officers a that branch before they will do it...but once it is done...getting credit cards and other loans down the road are much easier with them.

Good Luck

Hi there,

Any clues?

Hondo

Did you now that when you finance the purchase of a new vehicle, the entire amount repayable including interest, is subect to a 7% VAT charge! And that includes the 7% Vat already charged on the vehicle! My wife purchased a new Mitsu pick-up and it was not until later I realised this charge was built in. It was financed through GE Capital (now Ayudhya Capital Auto Lease). So BEWARE!!!

Hi there,

Any clues?

Hondo

Did you now that when you finance the purchase of a new vehicle, the entire amount repayable including interest, is subect to a 7% VAT charge! And that includes the 7% Vat already charged on the vehicle! My wife purchased a new Mitsu pick-up and it was not until later I realised this charge was built in. It was financed through GE Capital (now Ayudhya Capital Auto Lease). So BEWARE!!!

The 7% VAT on new vehicle purchase is deducted by the financecompany, and you have to pay 7% VAT on the monthly installments instead. So you only pay 7% VAT one time, not double.

Hi there,

I understand getting a car loan from local finance company is very difficult, at best. I don't work in Thailand but I go through it often enough to consider buying a car and keeping it with my girlfriend :D . Is there any bank in Thailand that offers loans to foreigner to buy a car? I want to be named owner of the car.

Any clues?

Hondo

Dear Hondo,

Please send me your address so I can come to you and hit your over the head!!! :D

If you buy a car in Thailand, do it under your own steam... do not leave it with your girlfriend, do not put it in her's or someone else's name, etc. etc. not matter how much you "LOVE" each other... now.

It just sends the wrong message and will make it more difficult and more expensive for the next guy she has sex with if she thinks it is that easy to get a car from a man.

If you are looking to make payments it means you cannot afford to 'waste' money in this way... SO DON'T!!!

Smartest thing you have done is join ThaiVisa...NOW READ A COUPLE OF THOUSAND BAD RELATIONSHIP STORIES BEFORE YOU SPEND A SINGLE SATANG!!!

If you really really really need to buy a car and want to establish credit and get a loan...put the amount you want to borrow in a Bangkok bank like Citibank or HSBC or Bank of America savings account... then arrange a 'passbook loan' using your savings as a collateral guarantee. You may need to speak with a few bank officers a that branch before they will do it...but once it is done...getting credit cards and other loans down the road are much easier with them.

Good Luck

Now that is a good post! :):D

RAZZ

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

Vios, City.

Allways this rumours. 9 to 15'k. I waiting the first car rental company who rent their cars for free. Budget takes 32'000 Baht for a Jazz. Vios is not even on their homepage.

Avis takes 21.000 for 15 days or 27'000 for 27 days for a Vios automatic. If want to know a monthly price i get the follow text on my screen:

Sorry, reservations for more than 28 days are not available on the offer you have selected. Please try an alternative Special Offer. We apologise for this inconvenience. (GB-GB-E0038)

Herz is absolutely useless. I think only peaple with a special university degree can handle their homepage. Sure some company have some special promotions, but noone gives a new car for a third of their price what is written on their homepage.

Just paid the road tax for a 1 year old Jazz - 3800b. Paid through the finance company Tisco. Rather expensive I thought for a small car. Alot dearer than the poster who said he paid 1800b.

regards Bojo

Just paid the road tax for a 1 year old Jazz - 3800b. Paid through the finance company Tisco. Rather expensive I thought for a small car. Alot dearer than the poster who said he paid 1800b.

regards Bojo

You where charged for much more than the road tax :)

Depreciation - 100k

Insurance - 30k

Tax - 10k

Servicing - 10k

Maintenance - 20k

Total 170k

Vios, City.

Allways this rumours. 9 to 15'k. I waiting the first car rental company who rent their cars for free. Budget takes 32'000 Baht for a Jazz. Vios is not even on their homepage.

Avis takes 21.000 for 15 days or 27'000 for 27 days for a Vios automatic. If want to know a monthly price i get the follow text on my screen:

Sorry, reservations for more than 28 days are not available on the offer you have selected. Please try an alternative Special Offer. We apologise for this inconvenience. (GB-GB-E0038)

Herz is absolutely useless. I think only peaple with a special university degree can handle their homepage. Sure some company have some special promotions, but noone gives a new car for a third of their price what is written on their homepage.

I dont spread rumours Stingray.

Call Budget at 02 203 9262 and refer to their ad in BKK Post July 3rd, and you ll get a New Honda City V at 500 a day for a long time rent.

Avis at 02 251 1131-2. Vios at 300 day for long time.

Or any of the other I mentioned.

I'll have to jump on the "gerry77 is wrong" bandwagon and say the Proton dealer in Phuket told me I would need to put 40% down and have Thai guarantor. I have Non-B and WP for only 90 days now. Seems it depends on which dealer you go to. Yeah yeah, I know, why would anyone want a Proton? I'm poor.

"Yeah yeah, I know, why would anyone want a Proton? I'm poor."

No it's because for the money you are getting a bloody good car................ Proton's have a good name in the UK for budget but well built cars.

Regarding Budged and Avis:

It's always all marketing to catch customers. Must tell the whole story. You can't rent for this price, it for let's say only one or two month. So i called up, to know. Avis didn't pick up their phone. Budged answered me. Yes 500 Baht per day, but minimum rental time is one year ore more. this is a 180'k per year. You have to pay some deposit as well, to make sure you keep the contract, don't got the answer, about how much deposit money, yet. They say, they will call me back. They give only "private insurance", no commercial (no rental car insurance). This is what the lady on the phone told me. Personally I don't know how they gonna handle this in a serous accident, because any of this "free first year insurance" is for private use only, not for rental purposes. This is always written on the insurace policy. In this case, they don't really make any profit, but they can use customers to pay their cars, as the private insurance is for free anyway in the first year. Big companies like them lease their cars as well, the monthly payments are between 9'000 and 12'000 Baht for 3 to 4 years, after a down payment of let's say 20%. So after 4 years the car is payd off during the rentals and the value of the vehicle is their profit.

But for 180'k you can try to make a down payment on a new car easly, and pay in rates every month, so in the end of the years it's yours and if you sell you get at least the half price back or even more. So at least some money would come back. Just need tto have the balls to register NOT in your gf's name.