I Need Help With Names Please

westbounder

I have been looking for housing in Chiang Mai on the web:

What does the following mean or where is it? Moo Baan : Phrukphana

Also what is the best way for me to learn the names and places where all the nice or Western style housing Estates

or Sub Divisions are located around Chiang Mai?

I saw a nice housing complex last year on route 107. I was travelling north from the moat and it was several km. past the super highway on the left hand side. It was gated and had a store on the right hand side once you entered past the gate. After the store, it was full of beautiful homes and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of it.

Thank you

--MOO BAAN, means villlage.

Also what is the best way for me to learn the names and places where all the nice or Western style housing Estates

--just a little thaistudyings , usually villages and cities are mentioned as

myang , / meuang, smth like that .

I saw a nice housing complex last year on route 107. I was travelling north from the moat and it was several km. past the super highway on the left hand side. It was gated and had a store on the right hand side once you entered past the gate. After the store, it was full of beautiful homes and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of it.

--1st point, keep your mony in u'r pocket when u invest .

Thank you

There's a Chiang Mai housing magazine in the racks that you can find in most bookseller/ mag racks. I forget the name - though I used to take pictures for them. It's glossy, mostly in Thai, a full-sized mag, but with a small bit of English, and has maps of and adverts for all the major krongan baans. You can find out specials, see the big map they put over the city grid with where the developments are. It's called 'Chiang Mai Home' I believe.

Thai names can sound odd in English like Moo Baan, is that where the cows live and it amuses me how it is polite to end a sentence with Khrap.

How long have you been in Thailand--do you still find eating 'Khow pat' amusing?

Thai names can sound odd in English like Moo Baan, is that where the cows live and it amuses me how it is polite to end a sentence with Khrap.

How long have you been in Thailand--do you still find eating 'Khow pat' amusing?

LOL Kow pat mai khrap

LOL Kow pat mai khrap

I guess it has a lot to do with your intelligence level. Obviously some posters here were at the back of the queue when the smarts were being handed out.

Don't you suppose a lot of English words may sound a bit strange to a Thai person learning the English language?

Isn't it odd how words in one language may have similar sounds but completely different meanings in other languages.

Edited by Blinky Bill

When I was looking, I drove around every street in the area that I was interested in and took at look. Best way I found.

Regards Bojo

A sense of humour can be a very useful in Thailand.

Blinky has a sense of humour--just 'not as we know it, Jim!'

A sense of humour can be very useful anywhere in the world. Even at my advanced age and grumpy disposition, there is a sense of humour somewhere within me.

Garyh, while you're still making silly comments about the Thai language, have a look at the Dutch translation of "you can". Most appropriate IMO.

A sense of humour can be a very useful in Thailand.

Blinky has a sense of humour--just 'not as we know it, Jim!'

A sense of humour can be very useful anywhere in the world. Even at my advanced age and grumpy disposition, there is a sense of humour somewhere within me.

Garyh, while you're still making silly comments about the Thai language, have a look at the Dutch translation of "you can". Most appropriate IMO.

Well I will agree with you whole heartedly that you have a grumpy disposition. I am not the only person around that has had a laugh at Thai words as above and no doubt some of our word sound funny to them too. Can't a person have a bit of joke, not directed at any one without being accused of being stupid?

LOL Kow pat mai khrap

I guess it has a lot to do with your intelligence level. Obviously some posters here were at the back of the queue when the smarts were being handed out.

Don't you suppose a lot of English words may sound a bit strange to a Thai person learning the English language?

Isn't it odd how words in one language may have similar sounds but completely different meanings in other languages.

Despite going a bit overboard with the personal insults, your last sentence is certainly the case the world over.

My Thai students went into hysterics when I told them that a term of high respect for a non-English married woman is "madame." In Thai, it sounds like "Black Dog."

They also laughed at me when I told them I found a fan for only 300Baht. What they heard was "I found a girlfriend for only 300Baht."

So, it goes both ways, just about equally.

And then think about all the Thai words you massacre when you try to communicate to them. They sometimes think you are just as disgusting.

I asked a room full of students in Thai, "How many persons will be at the party?" Due to the closeness of a "K" vs. "GK" sound, they heard: "How many shit-heads will show up at the party?"

One of our Thai visa members related the story of when his wife walked across a narrow river on a slippery log, he warned: "Be careful or you will fall." Because of a slight difference in how long you hold an "A" sound, it came out, "Be careful or you will fart!" She laughed so hard, she nearly fell into the very river he was trying to keep her from falling into.

So just remember, your Thai hosts are probably laughing harder at your language than you're laughing at theirs. They're probably just a little more forgiving and good-natured about it than we sometimes are.