Do You Send Your Children To School Here, In Thailand?

sbk

Where do your kids go to school?   

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was a discussion in ladies about having kids and for those of us who don't have them, why.

I have to be honest, one of the big reasons was because the schools on Koh Phangan are pretty terrible, I don't believe in sending my kids away to boarding school (frankly, if someone else is going to be raising my kid, whats the point?) and my husband and I were both unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to move back to the US so they could get a higher quality education (rather that than move to Bangkok, frankly).

So, it got me thinking and I wonder, for those of you who do have kids, where do your kids go to school?

If international schools, what can be done to improve the standards of intl schools here? If govt, what can be done to improve the standards there?

Given unlimited funds and choices, where would you prefer to send your child to school (dream big :) )

We have 2 teenage daughters in International School in CM. The school seems to have a high turnover in teachers, some teachers have questionable training for their positions, seem to have a excess of half days during the year, seems more concerned with income than education. I could go on but this will give a feel for what I perceive. As both girls plan on going to university, we will probably move to US in a year to let them finish high school there, thus reducing tuition costs and give them the opportunity to apply for and receive a scholarship.

I guess many either have companies paying for the education and they use the top international schools or people paying themselves find they cannot afford the top line fees which seem to have little bearing to the service or quality.

It is something I have been thinking about but since 2006 when she found out she was pregnant, and part of the decision was thinking about Bt1m a year for education. Where that will be remains to be seen. I don't see much value in the top or bottom end and think that I'm going to have to be really careful to bring my child up to manage on a world level and be on par with other Oxbridge undergraduate applicants. I don't think that is easily achieved in Thailand.

ask yourself a question.

where do rich thai kids get educated?

then ask

why?

It's an issue my brother went through after living in Tokyo for 22 years. It just doesn't seem feesable to fork out the million baht a year for an international education if you children decide to be a hair-dresser/greengrocer/nurse etc. I'm in the same boat as the OP and haven't seen much on offer generally speaking which is why I would probably put my child in Assumption and do a lot of homeschooling.

I could only vote once but have 2 children in two different categories (youngest in international school here, eldest in boarding school at home). The eldest was in his last 3 years of high school when we came here and didn't want to swap systems so close to graduation. The cost of having him schooled at home and travel here 4x per year for holidays is the same as the tuition costs at Patana.

My daughter goes to a private Thai school, seemed to be a more affordable alternative to an international that costs more than my annual salary! Not perfect, but some of these Inter. schools turn out some real rough looking kids.

I could only vote once but have 2 children in two different categories (youngest in international school here, eldest in boarding school at home). The eldest was in his last 3 years of high school when we came here and didn't want to swap systems so close to graduation. The cost of having him schooled at home and travel here 4x per year for holidays is the same as the tuition costs at Patana.

I think that the education at Patana is second to none - that's actually the main reason that I have struggled so hard to stay in Thailand. Second to none in price as well, though, and significantly above what my company reimburses. And then having to pay the tax on the school fees...

I think it mght be a good idea when they are older to switch to a UK boarding school (or maybe New Zealand or Australia) where they will be a little bit more exposed to the outside world, but that's a few years away over the horizon yet...

SC

There are several false assumptions evident here.

I currently have one child at International School here and have one now at University in UK who studied here before.

I pay for their education myself and whilst I no longer work in the Education sector, I did for 30 years. I consider myself sufficiently experienced to voice an opinion having worked in UK government schools, European private schools where I also recruited teachers, M.E. training institutions where again I also recruited teachers and am a product of the UK secondary level education system and Irish and UK Third Level Educational facilities up to M.Sc. level.

There is no doubt that the Thai Educational system is inferior in quality to UK, US, Europe.

It is, however, wrong to assume that International Schools here (essentially private schools) deliver a lower level education than e.g. UK schools.

Many Thai kids are schooled abroad but not in YOUR kids school. Rather the well-heeled Thai kids go to private schools in UK - one level up from the state system.

International Schools here, for the most part, provide a better quality product than the state schools at 'home'. My kids study in classes of 10-14 kids well below the 25-35 you tend to get in a lot of state schools. Most, not all, reputable International Schools recruit properly qualified teaching staff which explains the high fees (which incidentally I pay). Here, my daughter's education costs approx. 500,000 Baht (tuition only); my son's University education in UK (for which he/I get no support) costs around 12,500 Pounds (tuition and accommodation).

Having spent 30 years in education in UK, Europe and M.E. in a variety of teaching establishments/systems, I believe that quality schools such as Patana in Bangkok or Regents in Pattaya look after your children better than in most 'home' situations and because your children grow up in a school with a large international flavour they are well prepared to meet the challenges ahead when everyone's world will be more cosmopolitan than ours is.

Edited by Dennis M

There was a discussion in ladies about having kids and for those of us who don't have them, why.

I have to be honest, one of the big reasons was because the schools on Koh Phangan are pretty terrible, I don't believe in sending my kids away to boarding school (frankly, if someone else is going to be raising my kid, whats the point?) and my husband and I were both unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to move back to the US so they could get a higher quality education (rather that than move to Bangkok, frankly).

So, it got me thinking and I wonder, for those of you who do have kids, where do your kids go to school?

If international schools, what can be done to improve the standards of intl schools here? If govt, what can be done to improve the standards there?

Given unlimited funds and choices, where would you prefer to send your child to school (dream big :) )

Hey dude. Kids in a school on Koh Panghan? Just go to the school, sit in a classrooom for 1 minute and you'll know the quality you're paying for. (If you got the money you didn't spent for the full, half, or middle..or whatever moon party...

Both my girls go to an English Program in a Thai private school (Catholic, but that was part of the thought process).. My reasoning was this: If I am here short term and my kids would go back to the west with me, then, no question it would have to be an International. If I am staying and expect them to go to Uni here (and a good one), then I want a Thai education, but the best there is (or tha I can afford). This helped on two fronts - Thai private schools are much cheaper than Int., so much greater choice and I could see (as someone said above) where the wealthy Thais snd their kids.

I don't know how universal it is, but in my girls' school there are several type (programmes) internally. There is the basic, which the majority of kids are in; there's the more expensive 'plan' where kids get smaller classes and the curriculum is extended; and there is the EP program (in a school of 4,000 only 100 kids in my girls' school) with dual teachers (native English and Thai), classes of 15/16, extended curriculum, lessons in English, extra lessons, and so on. And as this is Thailand, the kids can be identified by the colour of their hair ribbons as to which 'plan' they are in.

I find the teachers very kind and caring: I am hopless with their hair, so oe of the teachers does their hair in the morning before class. As they had a western education up until now (private UK system since 2) they can be fussy about the food here, a teacher always takes care of them and even buys them staff sandwiches if they do not like what is on offer at the Thai canteen. Tehy have had book bought for them by the teachers and uniform parts/embroidering when we wasn't sure what was required. For a 1,000 baht a month a teacher picks them up an brings them home each day - to the door. I am very pleased with it.

My daughter 7 years old went to school (20,000B a term) in CNX for Anuban 3 and Por 1. Given choice of Por 2 and back to the UK...she said : Back to the UK. Why? Well all I did was sit down, stand up, sing songs, write. No games, no play. .....And I never found out where my friends lived. Just came to school and went home in a minibus......Staff student ratio in CNX 35:1...Here in the UK 10:1..truly.............................

Over the years I've seen posts about those lucky ones who have found something which works for them, the quality niche supplier perhaps ? But in every case where a top line school is not being used, there is the money element or "the best I can afford" scenario.

I'm most familiar with the UK system and I know that some schools are bad and others good and popular but that is talking about a free system. If you have money, then you can buy better education. In Thailand, it is all pay and whereas in the UK, where your child could perhaps come through a poor school with flying colours, there is no possibility of that in Thailand.

Personally, I think it is a tough call. If you don't have the money for a good school, which would get your child to successfully apply for a proper UK university with relative ease, then do you give up your life in Thailand for the sake of your child's education or continue and live with the knowledge that your persistance of living in Thailand is potentially depriving your child of a decent education ? I think you've a responsibility to the kids which overrides your desires.

I posted earlier today that there is no way I would ever send my kid to a 'Thai' kind of school. Top tier international, yes. Thai-run prathom or matayom school with classes of 45 dumbed-down students being taught nearly nothing by poorly-trained Thai teachers - no way.

I homeschool my children in Isaan, not many other options out here for farang kids whose Thai is not great. I know it's considered kind of odd in some places but it is becoming pretty common in at least some parts of the US and the resources available are incredible (kind of overwhelming actually) so it is pretty do-able. My oldest is 11 and I can see some subjects could get pretty tricky but so far I have found good help. I am also going to try an on-line composition course starting this fall for him. I even found a school that tries to schedule classes during off hours so that it is more accesible for people living outside US time zones.

My dream would be to have some other English speaking kids is the area so that my kids would have more of a social life.

It's not a perfect scenario but a compromise for those parents who are not prepared to give up their life on Koh Phangan and would like a better education for their kids.......

If the likes of Panya dee, learning centre and Bluewater wanted they could quite easily organise part time boarding at their schools with pick ups on Monday morning at the ferry terminals and drop off again on Friday afternoon. Part time boarding is fairly popular worldwide and far cheaper than full time boarding.

For all I know, the schools might already have the facility in place.

regards Bojo

I posted earlier today that there is no way I would ever send my kid to a 'Thai' kind of school. Top tier international, yes. Thai-run prathom or matayom school with classes of 45 dumbed-down students being taught nearly nothing by poorly-trained Thai teachers - no way.

Blondie;

How about early childhood in a Thai school?

Say from age 5-9 and then back home to Australia for his continued education.

Do you think this would disadvantage him?

I am thinking he would adjust fairly quickly. What is your thoughts?

I wouldn't send my kid to that kind of school either but I do send her to a private school with 20 to 25 kids per classroom.

BTW, how many languages do you speak? She speaks four at the moment which isn't so bad at age 9.

And for all the parents: don't leave your child's education completely up to the school. Spend more time with them.

But yes, I have serious questions with the training of Thai teachers.

Blondie;

How about early childhood in a Thai school?

Say from age 5-9 and then back home to Australia for his continued education.

Do you think this would disadvantage him?

I am thinking he would adjust fairly quickly. What is your thoughts?

Kindergarten only - probably no harm. 3 years of govt. prathom might do him irreparable harm. But I'm no expert on primary school.

ivowatson: I became fluent in a second language at age 56 - but that's not relevant; nor my mixed-race granddaughter being bilingual by age 9.

PB, there is a whole wealth of middle ground between top-tier-international (Prem?) and the local Temple school. There are Thai private schools, bilingual (and even trilingual) schools, religious schools and other Internationals. As above my kids go to an English Program in a top-tier Thai private school - it was certainly not money that made my decision for me (they went to private school in the UK since they were 2 y/o at a cost greater than Prem charges). Indeed, many people complain about the run-as-a-business-rather-than-a-school and conveyor belt attitudes and service that seems to come with the Internationals.

Wolf, I read your posts. I'm glad to hear there may be at least one half-decent Thai school in northern Thailand. Since we're talking Chiang Mai: I'm familiar with CMI, Prem, Grace, Nakornping, APIS and Lanna - all private, for profit, well accredited by Western standards. I know of no mid-tier intl. schools or worse.

I stand by my personal opinion.

PB, there is a whole wealth of middle ground between top-tier-international (Prem?) and the local Temple school. There are Thai private schools, bilingual (and even trilingual) schools, religious schools and other Internationals. As above my kids go to an English Program in a top-tier Thai private school - it was certainly not money that made my decision for me (they went to private school in the UK since they were 2 y/o at a cost greater than Prem charges). Indeed, many people complain about the run-as-a-business-rather-than-a-school and conveyor belt attitudes and service that seems to come with the Internationals.

Wolf, you sound like you are very happy with your childs school.

Can I ask what Thai Int. school you send your child to?

And if it's not too personal can I also ask how much you pay in fees?

My family and I are moving to Thailand soon and we have a three year old son. I am trying to gauge what educational needs my son will require in the future.

Thanks in advance.

our kids (100% thai BTW) go to school in Surat. Very good school, cheap and easy(ish) to get back to KPN for weekends and holidays. the younger one lives with a teacher from her school.

Both my kids are young and both went to an International school but I moved my son recently to a bi-lingual owned by the same 'company', the main reason being the lack of Thai language education.

I want both my kids ( half-thai ) of equal ability in both thai and english...all the R's and I dont think the 'inter' school could offer that, I see friends teenage kids who go to internationals and are visibly mixed race and unable to read or write thai!

Most of the kids at these 'inter' schools stay until dads contract ends and its back home or on to the next one so there is no emphasis on a good local language programme. I intend for my daughter to join my son at the new school and will cross the hurdle of secondary and Uni when that comes.

Oh, by the way my son seems to be benefiting already and he's teaching me to read and write thai!!

Both my girls go to an English Program in a Thai private school (Catholic, but that was part of the thought process).. My reasoning was this: If I am here short term and my kids would go back to the west with me, then, no question it would have to be an International. If I am staying and expect them to go to Uni here (and a good one), then I want a Thai education, but the best there is (or tha I can afford). This helped on two fronts - Thai private schools are much cheaper than Int., so much greater choice and I could see (as someone said above) where the wealthy Thais snd their kids.

I don't know how universal it is, but in my girls' school there are several type (programmes) internally. There is the basic, which the majority of kids are in; there's the more expensive 'plan' where kids get smaller classes and the curriculum is extended; and there is the EP program (in a school of 4,000 only 100 kids in my girls' school) with dual teachers (native English and Thai), classes of 15/16, extended curriculum, lessons in English, extra lessons, and so on. And as this is Thailand, the kids can be identified by the colour of their hair ribbons as to which 'plan' they are in.

I find the teachers very kind and caring: I am hopless with their hair, so oe of the teachers does their hair in the morning before class. As they had a western education up until now (private UK system since 2) they can be fussy about the food here, a teacher always takes care of them and even buys them staff sandwiches if they do not like what is on offer at the Thai canteen. Tehy have had book bought for them by the teachers and uniform parts/embroidering when we wasn't sure what was required. For a 1,000 baht a month a teacher picks them up an brings them home each day - to the door. I am very pleased with it.

What school they are going to? Thank you for short message.

:)

Wolf, you sound like you are very happy with your childs school.

Can I ask what Thai Int. school you send your child to?

And if it's not too personal can I also ask how much you pay in fees?

My family and I are moving to Thailand soon and we have a three year old son. I am trying to gauge what educational needs my son will require in the future.

Thanks in advance.

I'll send you a PM.

What school they are going to? Thank you for short message.

:)

I'll send you a PM.

There are a select few good Thai schools in Thailand, especially demonstration "Saatit" schools operated by Faculties of Education, and private schools like Varee, Montfort, and Sacred Heart in Chiang Mai, in programs with class sizes under 30, real tests and the chance to fail, etc. It is not the fault of dedicated Thai teachers. With few exceptions, general education here is abysmal, however.

...my husband and I were both unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary ....

You sound a very nice and thoughtful person generally... But it's a little sad that you haven't yet realised that life is not about what you get and what you receive. It's about about what you give..."

As for the school question... International without a doubt if you can afford it and are prepared to make the sacrifices as you put it. Life is about celebrating diversity and cherishing our differences. In Thailand that's unlikely to come thru the education system unless your children are really mixing with children who are different. Most Thai schools teach only "Thai" or "not Thai" life is much richer than that.