The Cheapest Places To Live In The World. $500 A Month

churchill

BELIZE!

The costs of living are similar to those of Costa Rica. For a large house in Cayo district, a one-hour drive west from Belize City, you may pay $300 (€210) a month and if you share with two other friends than it is only $100 (€70)!!!

Now THAT is paradise :)

What about Zimbabwe ??.....USD 500/month live like a millionaire.. :)

After reading the article...my opinion...Dippy Hippie sh*t......todays exchange rate THB 17500/month....think not, for retires not married to a local, what about the THB 800k you need in the bank every year, the cost of visa runs etc etc....??

Edited by Soutpeel

Most of these articles are for sale and written for the benefit of the writer. The facts supplied are VERY thin.

I can live for a dollar a day in the US. Unfortunately I would get very tired of living in a tent, eating fish, bird eggs and insects. Then there is the coming winter. Living and camping out are two very different things.

"Firstly: if you find some places cheap to travel to, then most probably you will also find it cheap to live."

He's never heard of Ryanair, Laker or Air Asia.

They all fly (or flew) cheaply to London but it certainly ain't cheap to live there.

What about Zimbabwe ??.....USD 500/month live like a millionaire.. :D

But a loaf of bread costs USD300? Back to the drawing board... :)

:D .....well based on logic of this article then....dont eat bread then...sorted.. :D

What about Zimbabwe ??.....USD 500/month live like a millionaire.. :D

But a loaf of bread costs USD300? Back to the drawing board... :)

:D .....well based on logic of this article then....dont eat bread then...sorted.. :D

Yes, just eat cake instead :D

It looks like the author get bored at his editorial department and had an idea about how to get a paid trip to tropical places by his employer or similar.

Every backpacker can write that better.

That guy has no idea what he is talking about...

My in-laws live in the barrio in Cebu Philippines in a block walled corrugated steel roofed house and it cost's them around 20000 php ($425) to get by.

That's with no cable, internet, or even a car. They own their house so no rent or mortgage.

I do agree with one thing: I'd like some of whatever that guy who wrote the article is smoking. It must be some good sh1t.

There is no way a Westerner would live on less than $500 a month, unless they had no choice.

A year or two past, we had the thread "Live like a baron/count/prince in Chiang Mai for US$500/month." The citation says you can rent a small flat in Chiang Mai for $30 a month. Rubbish. As in, living on a rubbish dump.

Costa Rica is the safest place to live in Central America, but not for $500/month. Belize is not safe. Etc.

The citation says you can rent a small flat in Chiang Mai for $30 a month. Rubbish. As in, living on a rubbish dump.

Apparently, and according to this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Dirty-Thailand-t277544.html , the falang in Thailand are unhygienic people. So I guess it is doable. :)

I do, however, think it is possible to live comfortably in Thailand for less than $500 a month. I know falang in Thailand who are doing it. Now keep in mind Bangkok (and Phuket) are more expensive than other areas. But even in Bangkok, I could survive quite happily on $500 a month. I think anyone really could if they do not spend their money on 1) "pokey, pokey" 2) going to bars.

I have lived in Thailand full time for several months on occassions. I calculated what I was spending and it was about $200 a month. This is for eating, shopping for clothes, transportation, and one or two nights out on the town (with TV folk). I didn't have to pay for rent, as I am Thai and can own property. But then again, I also know of comfortable apartments in nonfashionable parts of town (like Thonburi instead of Silom or Monument Square) that rent for $100 a month. I think the biggest expense that most people on this forum have is alcohol. I rarely rarely drink. If you do not drink and avoid Nana, Soi Cowboy, Patpong, etc., $500 a month is enough to live comfortably on.

Costa Rica is the safest place to live in Central America, but not for $500/month. Belize is not safe. Etc.

You'll have to define safe. I did a quick search of murders by country (nationmaster.com) This isn't gun violence per se just the total % per 1000 people that get murdered.

#1 Colombia .617847 per 1000 people

#2 South Africa #3 Jamaica #4 Venezuela

#5 Russia .201534

#14 Thailand .0838593

#19 Costa Rica .061006

#24 USA .042802

#30 Finland .028336

The site listed 62 rankings and Belize wasn't one of them. If I kept looking around I'd find a rank.

I've lived in Colombia and have seen the results of violence. My sister in law ( officer in Colombian Navy)was in the capitol building when it was attacked in Bogota. I've seen bodies on the streets, in cars. Life is cheap in Colombia.

Some other ranks

#33 Portugal #34 Malaysia #40 France #42 Iceland #43 Australia .015032 #44 Canada .014906

#46 UK #47 Italy

I like Belize, never found a reason to even feel uncomfortable in any situation.

Doin' it. In Thailand, and for less.

- concrete shophouse

- making thai food at home

- two cats eating fussy name brand food

- one eagle eating fresh fish and chicken

- utilities

- ADSL and landline

- lots of midnight 7-11 munchie runs

- no worries about money

-incidentals: toothpaste, laundry soap, ant chalk, fertilizer for my fancy-pants orchids

400-500 USD a month on a resort island in the south. And that would be if I paid it all myself... i split with my Thai BF. So 250ish depending on who goes to 7-11 for the snack run.

This of course does not include the unforeseeable such as a major medical issue or whatnot. But it's the basic everyday wants and needs without skimping or worry.

EDIT: and does not include girlie clothes shopping in KL and Penang for the visa runs. I just remembered those. But all expenses come to about 200-300.00 US every three months. But according to my quick math it still averages out to under 500.00 USD a month.

Edited by Minke

Okay, criticizing grammar doesn't effectively attack the thesis of an article, but still, couldn't the writer take the time to have someone edit the article to an acceptable grammatical level? You guys can continue to refute the veracity of the article, which is shooting fish in a .......

If you know where to look and who to ask, you can live very cheaply! I'm living in the heart of Jomtien, in a new and air-con large studio with free wifi, free secure car-park, H/C shower etc - and I pay 4,000 baht per month...

I've just been offered the complete 4th floor (60 sq meters) of a band new shophouse with great seaviews. just 2,500 baht per month rental....

If I find accomodation any cheaper, then the owner will be paying me!!

Simon