Buying Iphone From Hong Kong

karenmw460

I am thinking of buying an iphone 3gS 16 gb next time I got to Hong Kong. They are advertised as being open for any carrier and price HK$4488.

I just wondered if anyone can tell me if I would run into any problems using the HK iphone here in Thailand with my current AIS post paid account? Also can I use all features of the iphone wiht AIS, or do I need ot have True package for this?

Sorry, these are probably pretty basic questions, but I really don't know much about this.

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the reply. Sorry, I should have asked this in my last post. It actually says on the HK Apple website "can be activated with any wireless carrier." Would that include AIS (are they a "wireless carrier")?

Thanks again.

edited to add. The price I quoted is wrong. Don't want to mislead anyone. I just looked again and that is the price for the 3G. The 3gs price is not listed yet.

No no problems using it with AIS. As long as the phone is indeed unlocked to any carrier it will be usable here no worries. All features from ais and the iphone available.
Edited by karenmw460

Bought a Iphone back in the USA 2 years ago. Moved to Thailand last year.

Took it then to the Apple IPhone store in Airport Plaza and they unlocked it for me

for B500 with new sim card. It retained all my phone list and emails. I now

take it to the 123call store to get it filled up with prepay now and then.

So, if anyone buys one locked it can be unlocked.

Great phone!

You will not be able to buy from the apple store online in hong kong without a fixed hong kong address for delivery.

They are not for sale in Apple Resellers in hong kong.

Other option is just go to Mongkok Phone centre and pick one up there but you will pay more.

Yes, I am planning to buy from the apple store in hong kong and have delivered to my friend who lives there.

I would by here from True, but I want to use my AIS sim as I have had the same number for about 12 years.

You will not be able to buy from the apple store online in hong kong without a fixed hong kong address for delivery.

Other option is just go to Mongkok Phone centre and pick one up there but you will pay more.

Yes, I am planning to buy from the apple store in hong kong and have delivered to my friend who lives there.

I would by here from True, but I want to use my AIS sim as I have had the same number for about 12 years.

I have heard that true iphones are 100% unlocked from the factory itself. So even with a software update it remains unlock. In addition to this i also heard that warranty is only covered in the country of purchase. For example if you buy an iphone from hong kong, if anything happens to it, ( breakage, problems, etc) it will need to be sent back to HK for repairs. I myself are waiting for True to come out with their iphones, I have heard 3GS has heating problems, if this was the case id rather buy here and return handset if it was faulty.

You have "heard" incorrectly.... All IPhones can be unlocked...

If you actually read, in that message i did not write that iphones can not be unlocked. Actually i KNOW that True iphones are factory unlocked.

I bought an unlocked iPhone from an Apple store in HKG and use it here with an AIS SIM card and it activatedf and remains unlocked without a problem. But the warranty is only valid in Hong Kong.