Thaksin Nearly Arrested

webfact

Mr Thaksin´s phone-in postponed to next Monday

BANGKOK, 6 July 2009 (NNT) – Fugitive ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has postponed phoning-in to the "Khon Rak Udon" radio station to 13 July, citing some technical problems.

Mr Thaksin was earlier scheduled to make a phone-in talk via the 97.5 FM radio station in the northeastern province of Udon Thani today. However, the station later informed that the phone-in had to be postponed to next Monday due to technical difficulties.

The station said Mr Thaksin's phone-in would focus on guidelines on solutions to the economic and social problems. The phone-in will also be made to counter Prime Minister Abhisit’s weekly TV program on NBT.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 6 July 2009

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that the Malaysian news reports deposed Prime Minister Thaksin as a holder of Hong Kong, UK and German passports. (No mention of Nicaragua.) Nothing precludes the UK or Germany or even Hong Kong from revoking the passports, and yet he still has them. What does that tell me? That China and some important EU players do not share the current opinion of some members of the Thai government and certainly are not heeding the important advisers found here in TV. Perhaps, the Thai government really hasn't pressed the issue despite public statements to the contrary because it knows bringing him back now will create civil unrest. The current PM may either be very wise if that is his policy or he is being thwarted by Thaksin allies in the government and public service.

As a sidenote, take a close look at the current situation in Honduras. The ruler is removed from office and world governments unite against Honduras. Considering the fact that the Supreme court ruled against the Honduran leader and ordered his removal, and that there was consensus between the leader's own party and the opposition after his failed attempt to impose a referendum allowing him to run again, everyone is still condemning Honduras. Now look at the Thaksin case. He was overthrown by a military coup. No legal niceties, just a brash coup d'etat. The charges came later. Can world governments really cooperate on sending Thaksin back to Thailand if they are digging their heels in over Honduras?

Fugitive Thaksin reportedly visits Malaysia : Thai interior ministry

Fugitive and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has reportedly visited Malaysia before leaving for Fiji, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said Monday.

Thaworn said he understood Thaksin went to Malaysia on Saturday and left on Sunday.

However, his reasons for going to Malaysia are not known, and, Thaworn said, the report was unconfirmed. Police are verifying it.

Thaksin left Malaysia before Thai police could take action, Thaworn said. It remained the responsibility of the police, attorneygeneral and the Foreign Ministry to get Thaksin back to serve the convictions against him, he said.

The deputy interior minister said the government was not worried by reports Thaksin was in Thailand's neighbourhood.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 6 July 2009

Quoting Geriatrickid,

"Interesting that the Malaysian news reports deposed Prime Minister Thaksin as a holder of Hong Kong, UK and German passports."

He never had a UK passport, you may recall that his UK visa was revoked last autumn while he was out of the country. Similarly, he wangled a German visa (not a passport) last winter, much to the annoyance of the German government.

I don't know about a Hong Kong one, but I doubt it.

Interesting that the Malaysian news reports deposed Prime Minister Thaksin as a holder of Hong Kong, UK and German passports. (No mention of Nicaragua.) Nothing precludes the UK or Germany or even Hong Kong from revoking the passports, and yet he still has them. What does that tell me? That China and some important EU players do not share the current opinion of some members of the Thai government and certainly are not heeding the important advisers found here in TV. Perhaps, the Thai government really hasn't pressed the issue despite public statements to the contrary because it knows bringing him back now will create civil unrest. The current PM may either be very wise if that is his policy or he is being thwarted by Thaksin allies in the government and public service.

Re-read those Malaysian articles. You've gotten it all wrong about the passports.

I am taking that with a grain of salt.

I am sure the Malaysian police would be smart enough to alarm the airport police to look out for Thaksin, but didn't? How could this be possible. KL airport is at least 1 hour drive from the Shangri-la (Jalan sultant Ismail) without traffic, and the Malaysian police should have enough time. KL airport is always very empty even during peak hours. Anyone can identify Thaksin across the bare immigration hall. There is no where to hide, or crowd to cover him.

I totally agree..

I think the story might be a story.. :)

Also, why go to Fiji? I would hazard a guess that this info is wrong or he has lost the plot..

Beachcomber :D

Anyone see similarities between this and "Catch Me If You Can" (Hanks/Di Capprio) ? Could Thaksin be setting up for a sequel ? What about that guy who lived in an airport for years ? Quick, get me a screen play writer and an agent.

Ah, Thaksin the entertainer. Always thinking of the people.

He could have 50 passports but his name is still Taksin Shinawatra. Unless he's using passports under an assumed name how can he fly in and out without popping up on immigration's screen. Look at the poor buggers on US 'no fly' lists just because their name is similar to that of some obscure suspected terrorist. :)

Interesting that the Malaysian news reports deposed Prime Minister Thaksin as a holder of Hong Kong, UK and German passports. (No mention of Nicaragua.) r heels in over Honduras?

echoing the other posters ? where is the information that he holds these passports ?

I would think he is maybe enroute for Nicaragua now - he might have had his marching orders from the middle east.

..........edited....

Considering the fact that the Supreme court ruled against the Honduran leader and ordered his removal, and that there was consensus between the leader's own party and the . Now look at the Thaksin case. He was overthrown by a military coup. No legal niceties, just a brash coup d'etat. The charges came later. Can world governments really cooperate on sending Thaksin back to Thailand if they are digging their heels in over Honduras?

Well yes, ever heard of diplomatic channels, they might be the way things work below the "surface of what international press may report......I throw another pebble into the pool - Mugabe anyone?

Deputy PM: 'No go' for ousted ex-premier in Malaysia

CHON BURI, July 6 (TNA) -- Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Maj-Gen. Sanan Kajornprasart said Monday that convicted, ousted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra ought not travel to Malaysia as his presence, if true, could deteriorate to further violence in Thailand’s deep South.

Gen. Sanan told journalists that he did not believe the reports that Mr. Thaksin is now in Malaysia.

However, if true, Mr. Thaksin’s presence in Malaysia could worsen the ongoing violence in the insurgency-affected areas. The ex-premier may be enroute to Cambodia’s Koh Kong resort province.

Touching on the current move by the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) campaign to gather one million signatures to ask for a royal pardon for Mr. Thaksin permitting him to return to Thailand from self-imposed exile, Gen. Sanan said he opposed the move.

Mr. Thaksin should have served his jail sentence first before a royal pardon is sought, he said. The move would only perturb His Majesty the King.

UDD leader Veera Musikapong said earlier the group plans to collect one million signatures to submit its petition to His Majesty the King by August 1. If the UDD fails to gather one million names within one month, it will scrap its plan, Mr. Veera said.

Ousted from his power in a bloodless coup in September 2006, Mr. Thaksin was sentenced by a Thai court in absentia last October to two years in prison for abuse of power, for allowing his then wife to bid on a tract of government-owned Bangkok land at a government auction in 2003 while he was prime minister, an action the court deemed as being a conflict of interest and an abuse of power. (TNA)

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=10665

So, what passport and name was he travelling on then since you'd think they could have caught him before he boarded any plane at the airport.

Thaksin nearly arrested

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra narrowly escaped arrest in Kuala Lumpur, slipping out of his hotel ahead of police and flying to the Pacific island country of Fiji, Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Sennian said in Pattani province on Monday.

Mr Thaworn said the Malaysian government had cooperated with Thailand in planning to arrest the fugitive former prime minister on learning of he was staying at the Shangri-la Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

But Thaksin was vigilant enough to escape arrest and caught a plane to Fiji.

Continued on Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1...nearly-arrested

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/06/07

Why bring him back?

Almost a certainty of major civil unrest if he returns or is brought back.

Sure.

The corollary is "Why Thaksin is not keen to come back?"

I cannot imagine the landing at Savapum + the festive ambiance around the jail.

Excuse me - did you intend to write 'the festive ambience', or 'the festive ambulance'?

Or is that wishful thinking on my part........

Thailand: A day late and a dollar short.

I have a feeling that most countries aren't interested in getting in the middle of this mess. Anymore than most people are interested in getting in the middle of a divorce.

Why bring him back?

Sure.

The corollary is "Why Thaksin is not keen to come back?"

I cannot imagine the landing at Savapum + the festive ambiance around the jail.

Excuse me - did you intend to write 'the festive ambience', or 'the festive ambulance'?

Or is that wishful thinking on my part........

My English dictionary accepts ambiance but not ambience so I confirm this is ambiance. Well, if you prefer "cheerful atmosphere all around the prison", that's OK.

:-)

They'll create beer bars, souvenirs shops, "kao phat thaksin"... maybe even a gogo in the vicinity of the jail house.

I can't wait.

There is no where to hide, or crowd to cover him.

The smoking lounge .... :)

I don't believe there is one in KL Airport.

And it is true, every time it is very empty so not to spot someone like Thaksin does sounds a bit hm... dodgy

Thailand: A day late and a dollar short.

I have a feeling that most countries aren't interested in getting in the middle of this mess. Anymore than most people are interested in getting in the middle of a divorce.

Especially Malaysia, if he did ever get back into power.

darn, why didn't the keystone Malaysian cops call me before sending over their crack troops to arrest the guy. I could have used the one million baht bounty offered by.....? (I forgot who offered it).

Why bring him back?

Yes, absolutely right. It would be insane to arrest and return him.

I would tend to agree, but also acknowledge that his charisma is waning - even among many of his former supporters, or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part.

Guess he still had some good contact in Malaysian, that gave him a headup to FLEE the scene. Might be just as well they don't bring him back, it could be more trouble then it is worth, just think if he is jail and kill the problem it would cause the country, talking about Shirts in the street, I think there would REDBLOOD in the street if this were to happen. :D:):D

Fiji is great. I went there 25 years ago. Nice beaches and smaller islands in the surroundings. The native Fijians are more friendly and open hearted than the, by the Brittons, implanted Indian population though. I think he could spend some time there, if he can afford the nicer hotels.

on passports I am apparently wrong and was mixed up by the reports in the Thai newspapers that he had a German passport.

Deutsche Presse Agentur Published on May 23, 2009

"Mr Thaksin Shinawatra does not hold a German passport," spokesman Theodor Proffe said.

Several Thai newspapers yesterday published stories quoting Chalerm Yoobamrung as saying the ousted premier held six foreign passports, including ones from Germany and Cambodia.Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said yesterday that he believed Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen's statement that Cambodia had not issued a passport to Thaksin.

me very bad on Nicaragua, Asia Pacific News - mediacorp

16 April 2009 1437 hrs

MANAGUA: Nicaragua said it had given a diplomatic passport to Thailand's fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra,

i'll eat my crow now.

I can't believe the rubbish some newspapers write and the readers who believe everything the same papers write.... :)

"Thaksin slipped into Malaysia....."

and

"Thaksin escaped from Malaysia...."

And:

"According to Thaworn, Thaksin later left for Fiji."..yeah right....in an hot air balloon :D

It's like Cinderella....a fairy tale.

There's NO prove whatsoever; no photo's, no (copy) hotel bills, nobody from the hotel staff, confirming Thaksin was there, no flight number; there are no direct flights from Malaysia to Fiji's Nadi international airport (handling 96% of all international arrivals).

If he's in Fiji he had to go via Australia or New Zealand, Honolulu, Los Angeles/US, Vancouver/Canada, Narita/Japan or Korea first, coming from Malaysia.

All of them not very likely as the distances to reach Fiji are enormous; so called long haul flights.

My opinion? rubbish!

Propaganda from the Thai government and I will only believe it when I see evidence.

LaoPo