Where To Live In Thailand?

Frezie

I have been living in BKK for most of the past 5 years, the first 2 working full time for a UK based company and the last 3 part time / semi retired. The chances are that I will be fully retired in the next few months so I'm looking to move out of Bangkok, partly as my income will decrease and I'll need to reduce costs and partly, much as I enjoy BKK, it would be nice to live somewhere quieter.

Although I have a number of Thai friends my Thai is very poor (which I intend to address) so I would need there to be at least a small expat community.

I would like to get some suggestions or ideas from any of you guys who know the country better than I do. I am completely open minded - the north, central, south or the islands - prepared to have a look at anything if it sounds right.

Hopefully this topic should avoid some of the vitriol we seem to get on most threads......

Any suggestions welcome

I have been living in BKK for most of the past 5 years, the first 2 working full time for a UK based company and the last 3 part time / semi retired. The chances are that I will be fully retired in the next few months so I'm looking to move out of Bangkok, partly as my income will decrease and I'll need to reduce costs and partly, much as I enjoy BKK, it would be nice to live somewhere quieter.

Although I have a number of Thai friends my Thai is very poor (which I intend to address) so I would need there to be at least a small expat community.

I would like to get some suggestions or ideas from any of you guys who know the country better than I do. I am completely open minded - the north, central, south or the islands - prepared to have a look at anything if it sounds right.

Hopefully this topic should avoid some of the vitriol we seem to get on most threads......

Any suggestions welcome

You could rephrase the question to get the best answer for yourself...

Do you have a problem with all things Thai? if yes, where do you live?

Then run as fast as possible in the opposition direction...there problem solved!

[

Then run as fast as possible in the opposition direction...there problem solved!

Still trying to figure out your point. :)

The OP had not indicated that he has a problem with "all things Thai", and has asked a simple question about places to live. Not exactly damning of Thais is it? There are plenty of people on this board living in different locations, and I am guessing that he is asking for their experience or opinions.

you want to live:

- somewhere nice

- somewhere quiet

- with decreased costs

- in a small expat community

I'd say: stay away from the hot spots such as Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Krabi etc. and come up North Chiang Rai, Mae Sai area where it is nice, quiet and can easily live on decreased costs in a small expat community. However, also ask yourself what you want: you need the beach? you like the country side? you want to livein hte hills or mountains? you want to be near a lake or river?

Plus rainseason is now in Northern part until August (not too bad though I like it actually), but other parts of Thailand it starts later (October/November in Samui for instance). If it is just for a couple of months (as you write) I would carefully pick the spot, all I can say, I love it here in CR and it would fit nicely with the things you pointed out.

Yeah, you're going to need to throw out some criteria for us, as mentioned above, before you can get constructive answers. Preferred weather, topography, size of town, amenities, real necessities for yourself, monthly budget would help (if you want to be that candid), etc.

Edited by calibanjr.

Somewhere like here in Nakhonsawan can be too quiet for many people in respect of few Farang and no real English speaking places to eat or drink. I like it, but then again, I am generally content with what Nakhonsawan has to offer. Very friendly. Locals always make me feel welcome. No police hassles at all so far, in fact the opposite. But you can be isolated somewhere like this.

Sounds like you could do with moving to somewhere like Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai, as tiptip says.

I have friends who lived there and also visit there. Brothers g/f comes from Chiang Rai. Seems there is plenty to do and if you want to talk to English speaking people and go to 'Farang' type venues. Plenty to keep you occupied too. Slightly cooler also.

That would be my choice if ever I decided to move on.

Somewhere like here in Nakhonsawan can be too quiet for many people in respect of few Farang and no real English speaking places to eat or drink. I like it, but then again, I am generally content with what Nakhonsawan has to offer. Very friendly. Locals always make me feel welcome. No police hassles at all so far, in fact the opposite. But you can be isolated somewhere like this.

Sounds like you could do with moving to somewhere like Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai, as tiptip says.

I have friends who lived there and also visit there. Brothers g/f comes from Chiang Rai. Seems there is plenty to do and if you want to talk to English speaking people and go to 'Farang' type venues. Plenty to keep you occupied too. Slightly cooler also.

That would be my choice if ever I decided to move on.

I don't know CM that much but I know it is a bit more expensive than CR plus there are more expats living in CM as well. The easiest way to acces a community btw is just to check the forums of each particular area on Thaivisa. I often check the Chiang Rai forum on here if I need to know some updates of my area here!

I am just like you G54. I live 17km away from CR in the countryside with a lake not too far from me and a few foreigners nearby and love it. It is very quiet here (good way to start learning the language a bit more too!)

Just a question for the OP:

Do you see yourself as a “city”, “suburb”, or “rural” person mostly?

For me, I’m definitely always identified myself as a “city person”, and wouldn’t live anywhere else other than Bkk. I love living in Bkk with all the amenities, even if I have to wear a gasmask everyday, and I know my life will be shorten by 5 years….so be it. The tradeoff is well worth it for me.

But of course I can live without women falling off my arms,, but can’t live without shopping malls!!…the more the merrier. :)

So you need to look a bit deeper within yourself and know/tell us some of your favorite activities you can see yourself doing everyday. Those should help you/us narrowing your field range a bit more.

It is quite simple really.

1. You'll have to pick one of the common tourist destinations because of the language problem. A Tha village or city is not appropriate if you can't speak the language. Tourist destinations all have an English speaking infrastructure to accommodate the tourists.

2. You'll have to decide on what you like to do for entertainment: swimming, hiking, sports, dining, bars etc.

3. You'll have to decide on how much you want to spend on accommodation: buying or renting, hotel room or apartment.

Until we know that we can't answer any questions without having to write a book.

There are always trade-offs when making these kinds of decisions.

I want Villa Market, St. Etoile bakery. BBQ Sandwhich King, Tacos & Salsa, the Marriot Steak House, the Grand Hyatt Erawan Buffet, movies, good gyms, international food, good medical care available, HomePro, easy access to the airport, and good internet.

I don't want traffic, noise, high home prices, traffic (did I write that already?), pollution, traffic.

So I can move to a smaller place for the lack of pollution and traffic and better homeprices, but then I mihgt lack the creature comforts I want. Or I can live in BKK and be able to buy most things I like, but put up with the hassles.

All of us have to weigh what we want and what is the best match for each of us. I would listen to what each of the posters are suggesting, then go and visit potential places, living there for while if possible before making your final decision.

I never bought a house without living in it first. Even then there is no guarantee.

Go to where you 'think' it best suits you for say 6 months, then decide.

I know Pattaya like the back of my hand, and can hibernate there if I so wished.

Give us an idea of budgets also.

Bubba

This place runs on hi-test vitriol, only

I think a couple of the larger urban centers in the North East might be a good choice. With cheap rents and if can eat fairly locally it can be very inexpensive to get by. Most have an expat community, but unfortunately a lot of it revolves around drinking and the bar culture so be prepared to tried and find something else to do with your time. No matter where you live, what to do with your time is going to be the issue.

TH

I never bought a house without living in it first. Even then there is no guarantee.

Go to where you 'think' it best suits you for say 6 months, then decide.

I know Pattaya like the back of my hand, and can hibernate there if I so wished.

Give us an idea of budgets also.

Bubba

This place runs on hi-test vitriol, only

How do you do that?

Do you ask the seller to take it off the market so you can live in it rent free for a year or so untill you decide to buy it or not? :)

[

The OP had not indicated that he has a problem with "all things Thai", and has asked a simple question about places to live. Not exactly damning of Thais is it? There are plenty of people on this board living in different locations, and I am guessing that he is asking for their experience or opinions.

:D i've just read my post and don't understand my own logic or point :D

dam_n wasn't even drunk and doesn't make sense..

Sorry OP!

I like the outskirts of BKk myself.. Close for everything mainstream but still far enough away from tourists and sexpats!

:D i've just read my post and don't understand my own logic or point :)

Sorry OP!

I like the outskirts of BKk myself.. Close for everything mainstream but still far enough away from tourists and sexpats!

Well, that's cleared that one up then. :D

"Try a lease option - most good Realtors understand them"

That's funny. You must be fairly new here.

OP, bonobo has it right. Try a couple of places for a few months and see how it goes.

Using some of the ideas from the other posters generate a list of what you'd like, and not like. Then try to match your list to specific locals.

Every place has something to offer to someone. I've lived in a number of places, and liked them all.

Do your research, visit and live in places you think you might like and you'll find a place that suits you.

Good luck.

Better to be poorer in an area you like than to be richer in an area which drives you mad and I assure you, some of the smaller places will drive you round the bend. In smaller places you need transport as well and I recently went through that total running and replacement costs for a mid sized car or truck can be Bt200,000 a year. I don't do motorbikes.

I need a fair sized place with lots of options available to me. I know that I also need a decent sized expat community as well. You can't always get that in small towns.

Any suggestions welcome

Chiang Mai is a great place to live. Wonderful people, food, climate is good (except MAR-APR), easy to get around and the costs is cheaper than Bangkok, Phuket and Hua Hin

Umm the op might be working, or off line or just not got round to answering the questions yet. Not everyone uses a computor every day.

I know the OP and he is out of the country for a couple of weeks, hence no reply.

Cheers, Rick

I know a new place in Thailand better than everywhere else. It's so secluded only 4 people know about it. It's cheaper than Chiang Mai and the beaches are better than Phuket. It has more nightlife than BKK but no pollution. There is no over development but Tesco and an international hospital are within walking distance. There are no foreign people living there but there is a great bakery and pizza joint in town. The women are the most beautiful in Thailand and none of them are bar girls or have violent Thai boyfriends. There are no soi dogs. PM me for more information. Have your credit card details ready.

frezie

If you can't take the time to respond to some reasonable questions, why should anyone bother with an answer?

Fair comment 'BEENTHEREDONETHAT' and apologies. I flew to UK for holiday the day after I posted and have only just got set up on the net.

I appreciate all the helpful comments and will be checking up on a more regular basis. Will also set up a few more criteria as suggested by many

A few more criteria as suggested.

I have always lived in the English countryside before moving to LOS and consider myself a country boy. Howeverver that's not so simple in a country where you speak very little of the language so, to be honest, I would probably be happier in an urbam environment with easy access to the countryside / mountains.

I shall never buy here. I still own my house in the UK and the rent from that more than covers my rent here - even in BKK although that's obviously been eroded by exchange rates. my income is in the region of 75,000 baht which makes for a reasonable lifestyle as my accomodation is covered and at my age, I'm not averse to eating into my liquid capital in the UK hopefully slowly.

Cooler than BKK would be nice - which would imply the north.

I've been to CM a few times and like it and it's definitely on my list. Only passed through CR but have already decided to check it out.

Never been further south than Samed but intend to check out the south.

Spent a few days in a small village in rural Nong Khai with a former gf and much as I enjoyed a few days - I definitely couldn't live there.

My social life as always revolved around pubs and bars. Not that I'm a p*sshead but I never drink at home so would need a few bars frequented by expats.

Hope that helps and I really appreciate the responses - please keep them coming guys

[

Absolutely correct. I didn't understand that post either so chose to ignore it. Seems to be part of the lunatic anti Thai fringe. While we all get irritated by a few things here - I absolutely love it

[

:D i've just read my post and don't understand my own logic or point :D

Sorry OP!

Apology accepted. If I stay in BKK (which is possible) I'd rather stay where I am. Nice apartment in Phra Kanong area