Comparison

normy

Someone on this site mentioned Penang is cheaper to live? I checked the rentals, seemed more expensive. How would you compare them? Thanks, Normy

I'm a little confused, you'd consider living in Penang because it's cheap? I've heard heard Calcutta is pretty cheap too, but like Penang not exactly ideal for expats.

Someone on this site mentioned Penang is cheaper to live? I checked the rentals, seemed more expensive. How would you compare them? Thanks, Normy

I'm a little confused, you'd consider living in Penang because it's cheap? I've heard heard Calcutta is pretty cheap too, but like Penang not exactly ideal for expats.

i understand you can save a bundle of money if you move to central africa, build your own tin hut and live on bananas and occasionally chase down wild game on foot and beat to death with a big stick.

Gatorhead, Mr. Tigerbeer is Malaysian and a very nice person, but I think that it is fair to say, that if one takes drugs, they should steer clear of places with such strong laws. :)

UG, thanks for re-iterating that out super loud.

As a Malaysian, I can vouch that after what Mr "Get A Head"333 mentioned, we definitely would be more than happy to kick such people out. Cause they might bring their filthy drug taking habits into the country. Perfectly right for drug dealers and shooters with excess drugs to be hanged. Same same Singapore. So Mr. Get A Head333, keep steer clear of the skies of Singapore as well. And before you say anything about Singapore not being draconian, do a bit more reading on the topic.

I can just imagine a long winded and rude reply from Mr. get a head and won't bother replying!.

Well I didn't realise Tiger beer was Malaysian, the poster not the drink :D

I like Malaysia, I reckon as a holiday destination it beats Thailand except on the nightlife aspect.

Would I want to live there... Penang no, but some of the big cities like Kota kinabalu and Kuching maybe.

Not really interested in taking drugs, don't drink as much as I did when I was young, married with kids so not interested in the nighlife, maybe i'm just getting old :)

Somewhere like Kinabalu where you've got the mountains, rain forest and the beaches. As well as great chinese, Indian and Malaysian food would suit me just fine, but I'm married to a Chiang Mai girl and we ain't going anywhere :D

Would I want to live there... Penang no, but some of the big cities like Kota kinabalu and Kuching maybe.

In direct comparison with Chiang Mai, the only plus I could think of are Penang's beaches and Royal Stout :D

There are far better places in Malaysia if you wanted to settle there, but Penang is perhaps a bit harsh, what with its Chinese populace. Saying that, they're certainly one up from the general tosser contingent where I come from :)

My home is in Chiang Mai but I've been spending a lot of time in KL working and am considering Malaysia as next move. There are a lot of things about Malaysia that are really attractive, not the least of which are the farang friendly residency and property ownership laws. IMHO, the people are much friendlier here. If you like the outdoors, the environment is MUCH better hands down.

I don't know anything about Penang so I can't draw any direct comparisons.

I guess if you are a drug user and/or whoremonger you may prefer Thailand purely on those merits.