In Need Of Some Advice On Uk Settlement

Hi folks

Hoping someone can help me out with this one. The Thai wife will be submitting her settlement visa application shortly and I'm in a bit of quandary over the financial side of things. I'm currently not working and studying for a qualification that I will obtain by September. I haven't been claiming Jobseeker's Allowance since beginning to study because I don't want the DSS breathing down my neck and telling me I have to take a job if one comes up, thereby interfering with my study schedule. I have some savings and am in the fortunate position of having parents that are happy to help me financially while I'm unemployed. We have been relying on these factors to convince VFS/the Embassy that my wife will be financially supported until such time that we are both employed, however, having seen the question on the visa application form asking "Does your sponsor receive any money from public funds?" (or sthg like that), I'm wondering if I might be wiser to get into the system, so that I can write "yes" to this and supply details of a fortnightly JSA payout. As my course is predominantly distance learning, I can study it in my spare time, so technically I would qualify for benefit but this could end up adding considerable time onto the finish date of the course depending on what happens with the Job Centre. Obviously, I'd sooner just crack on with the study but if signing on will improve our chances of getting the visa then I'll go ahead and do it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Lord Dude

Hi Mate

I was under the impression when I applied for the fiancee / settlement visa that you will not get the visa if you are claiming public funds. You have to be able to support you and your wife without claiming any public funds.

I might be wrong but with out a job I think it would be difficult to get the visa.

Paul

From Maintenance and accommodation

MAA2 Public funds

There is no objection to the British citizen/settled sponsor receiving any public funds to which he/she is entitled in his/her own right........

If the sponsor is in receipt of public funds, it does not mean that they will be unable to support the applicant, although clearly a person who is heavily dependent on the state because they don't have sufficient means of their own will find it difficult to support another person for any length of time.

The important factor to consider is whether there will be a need for the sponsor to claim additional public funds to support the applicant if leave to enter granted........

MAA8 maintenance & accommodation: spouse / civil partner / unmarried or same-sex partner

If members of the couple’s families in the UK offer to maintain the couple adequately until they can do so from their own resources, such an arrangement would not satisfy the Rules, which require the couple to maintain themselves. Nevertheless, it may be appropriate in certain circumstances to exercise discretion where it is clear that such an arrangement will be for a limited period and that the couple will be in a position to maintain themselves shortly after the applicant’s arrival in the UK.

Troll.... :)

Excuse me? And on what evidence do you base that ridiculous accusation?

To the guys who took the trouble to make sensible suggestions, thanks.

I'm aware that I have to show evidence of ability to support my wife and from advice already obtained, I'm hoping this won't be a problem because I have a reasonable amount of savings, no rent or mortgage to worry about and a firm offer of a job beginning in October. Right now I'm simply making use of the time I have before then to gain an extra qualification which will increase my earning capacity for the future. With the visa form asking for my national insurance number I just wondered if they would make checks and see that I'm not in the system currently, either through earnings or benefits and that might go against me in some way.

If anybody else has any constructive advice, it'd be appreciated.

If you can do without the benefit, then I would not claim purely to try and strengthen your application as it may well do the exact opposite. Ticking yes in this box is not going to be a plus point on your application and may be a negative point too far if your application is borderline pass/fail.

If you can do without the benefit, then I would not claim purely to try and strengthen your application as it may well do the exact opposite. Ticking yes in this box is not going to be a plus point on your application and may be a negative point too far if your application is borderline pass/fail.

Point taken, thanks mate and thanks 7by7 for your input too.