Thailand Airfare War Hots Up

george

I personally believe that Thai Air management over the last 10 years or so has been shockingly awful...

what management? from 2001 to 2006 they changed CEO like 3 times in a year .... Thai airways in the last 10 years hasn't had a manager staying more than 4 months ......... anyway , managers that are assigned to Thai Airways by their government friends , just put as much public money in their pockets as they can and just wait for the next manager to come in in the next few months ........ exactly like the Thai politicians in government

like a plane without pilot !!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

885 users reading this thread!

We all like a bargain quicksilva. But it seems that some are using the regular search procedure. I found fares by clicking on the special fares logo and got this page

http://www.thaiair.com/promotion-areaTH/Pr...d/index_en.html

Yes , buts thats Domestic only. They need to go International to make a real difference.

It's a good example of 'web power' though, and Thais' site is abysmal. Whenever I'm on it I wonder how much money they lose due to its lack of functionality and their 'master plan' of making it cheaper to buy through agents then their own site... cause nine times out of ten people will go to another site (i.e. AirAsia) and book that instead.

forgive my ignorance

but just how does ThaiAir stay in business?

i may be wrong but i would guess public money ..... when a new CEO arrives , he counts how much his predecessor has plundered , then asks the double to the government so he can do better .....

just my thought but i'm pretty sure i'm not that far

885 users reading this thread!

We all like a bargain quicksilva. But it seems that some are using the regular search procedure. I found fares by clicking on the special fares logo and got this page

http://www.thaiair.com/promotion-areaTH/Pr...d/index_en.html

First you read the promotion !

Than ask Thai if your prefered travell date got an free seat !

prices are without surcharge,

Samui expensive as before,

and on your date, no seat available !

eye catching promotions as usual !

Thanks Thai !

Singapore Airline is the best..

Cheap from Bkk-Sg-Bkk. its around $215

But if u take from Sg-Bkk-Sg. its around $485.

Since i am a frequent visitor of thailand.. i always use the method above..

But before hand,i will take the cheapest one-way airfare to Bkk first...

1248 user...people...thai air will never compete with air asia i am constantly looking and checking and in over a year they have never come close to them at all even with promotions...

i fly up to 20 times a year and always get the cheapest ever possible

RELAX FARANG RELAX

just as the promotional discounts in hotels for THAI ONLY, these rates will not be for you farang

THAI RAK THAI .... so it is for THAI PEOPLE ONLY

I dont see why you feel so happy this rate to apply only to Thai people, your national air carrier (Thai Airways) is close to bankruptcy and you would like special offers to apply to Thai people only while they are trying to save their company and thousands of people's job...

Thailand airfare war hots up

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Just a day after Thai Airways International (THAI) entered the discount airfare market with its “Fly THAI, get more” promotional fares designed to “put AirAsia's offering to shame,” local carrier Bangkok Airways (BA) has fired back with its own “Flyer Pass” range of discounted air fares.

The THAI campaign sees the airline cutting it’s fares by 20 percent below seasonal standard fares, with up to one-third of all seats on all THAI flights being sold at the promotional rate.

Pandit Chanapai, executive vice-president for THAI's commercial department said on Tuesday the airline hoped the campaign will help it fight back against the low-cost carriers and increase its flight load to 70 percent.

"We are telling the public there is another good option for buying air tickets and that we are ready to compete squarely with other airlines".

In direct response, privately owned BA responded on Wednesday with a series of “Flyer Pass’s, priced between Bt9,000 and Bt29,000 (about $US264 to $US851) for a booklet of four flight tickets valid for one year.

The Flexi Pass-Fun package, priced at Bt9,000, is valid for all domestic routes flown by BA, while the mid priced Flyer Pass-Fusion covers domestic routes as well as flights from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh, or Phnom Penh.

The Flexi Pass-Fancy, priced at Bt19,500, can be used for domestic and international routes, including Bangkok to Siem Reap or Luang Prabang, or from Samui to Singapore, while the most expensive package, the Flyer Pass-Freedom, priced at Bt29,000, can be used on the Bangkok to Hiroshima or the Bangkok to Maldives sectors.

BAs senior sales director, Chonlada Chevathakorn, said the airline had prepared a total of 20,000 tickets across the four packages and expected them to be sold out within four months.

According to Chonlada, “in general Bangkok Airways does not give discounted fares to passengers during the high season for traveling, but we are doing so this year, to stimulate passenger numbers.

“The average air fare under the promotion is discounted by 20 per cent from normal prices," she said.

According to THAI, its entry into the discount airline market has been brought about by airlines continuing to undercut each other in a desperate bid to cope with a market marred by global recession and pandemic A(H1N1), which has seen the airlines’ passenger numbers from east Asian countries such as China, Japan and Korea tank by up to 20 percent.

The new THAI promotional fares will see an all-inclusive round-trip start at Bt2,810 for domestic routes, while regional flights start at Bt4,300.

Whereas the THAI promotional tickets must be purchased by July 31, and travel made before September 30, BAs Flyer Pass’s are valid for travel between August 1 this year and July 31, 2010.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-07-16

Don't think british Airways too happy to be linked to Bangkok Airways !! PG is the code for them, not to be confused with a nice cup of english rosie lee

I believe the earlier poster here was being sarcastic...

Just so people don't read that and misunderstand, the Thai Air fares are available to anyone, provided they are departing from BKK or Chiang Mai, and are able to purchase the tickets thru a Thai Air ticket office or sales agent. So basically, that means you'd need to be inside Thailand already, whether Thai or farang. But if you're here, the tickets are available for sale -- not that their prices are such great bargains...in any case... :)

RELAX FARANG RELAX

just as the promotional discounts in hotels for THAI ONLY, these rates will not be for you farang

THAI RAK THAI .... so it is for THAI PEOPLE ONLY

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Just a day after Thai Airways International (THAI) entered the discount airfare market with its "Fly THAI, get more" promotional fares designed to "put AirAsia's offering to shame," local carrier Bangkok Airways (BA) has fired back with its own "Flyer Pass" range of discounted air fares.

The THAI campaign sees the airline cutting it's fares by 20 percent below seasonal standard fares, with up to one-third of all seats on all THAI flights being sold at the promotional rate.

Pandit Chanapai, executive vice-president for THAI's commercial department said on Tuesday the airline hoped the campaign will help it fight back against the low-cost carriers and increase its flight load to 70 percent.

"We are telling the public there is another good option for buying air tickets and that we are ready to compete squarely with other airlines".

In direct response, privately owned BA responded on Wednesday with a series of "Flyer Pass's, priced between Bt9,000 and Bt29,000 (about $US264 to $US851) for a booklet of four flight tickets valid for one year.

The Flexi Pass-Fun package, priced at Bt9,000, is valid for all domestic routes flown by BA, while the mid priced Flyer Pass-Fusion covers domestic routes as well as flights from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh, or Phnom Penh.

The Flexi Pass-Fancy, priced at Bt19,500, can be used for domestic and international routes, including Bangkok to Siem Reap or Luang Prabang, or from Samui to Singapore, while the most expensive package, the Flyer Pass-Freedom, priced at Bt29,000, can be used on the Bangkok to Hiroshima or the Bangkok to Maldives sectors.

BAs senior sales director, Chonlada Chevathakorn, said the airline had prepared a total of 20,000 tickets across the four packages and expected them to be sold out within four months.

According to Chonlada, "in general Bangkok Airways does not give discounted fares to passengers during the high season for traveling, but we are doing so this year, to stimulate passenger numbers.

"The average air fare under the promotion is discounted by 20 per cent from normal prices," she said.

According to THAI, its entry into the discount airline market has been brought about by airlines continuing to undercut each other in a desperate bid to cope with a market marred by global recession and pandemic A(H1N1), which has seen the airlines' passenger numbers from east Asian countries such as China, Japan and Korea tank by up to 20 percent.

The new THAI promotional fares will see an all-inclusive round-trip start at Bt2,810 for domestic routes, while regional flights start at Bt4,300.

Whereas the THAI promotional tickets must be purchased by July 31, and travel made before September 30, BAs Flyer Pass's are valid for travel between August 1 this year and July 31, 2010.

thaivisa-news.png

Don't think british Airways too happy to be linked to Bangkok Airways !! PG is the code for them, not to be confused with a nice cup of english rosie lee

What a joke!

Using the "promotional fares" link Thai Air gives a price, in August of Baht 2420 HKT-BKK return , 1 person, taxes NOT included (I just couldn't get thru as usual - what a website.)

The same dates, same journey with AirAsia is Baht 1342 - for 2 people including taxes!

Thai Air doesn't have a clue on discounting.

How quickly this has become YET another lets bash Thai Airways thread.

We all know Thai still operate outdated products on its B747-400 long haul flights, more-so in economy as most of them are upgraded business/first class cabins. However on a lot of other services, e.g. almost all Australian flights, and all other 772ER and A345 and A346 services the hard product is very good.

Thai is only recently losing money, along with most airlines worldwide. Check the history. TG is a business, they can ask whatever price they want for a ticket, either pay it or don't, its up to you. If you think you can get a better deal elsewhere, or can't afford the prices Thai are asking, then by all means, please go elsewhere. But stop the moaning, whinging and complainaing here as if Thai Airways personally owes YOU something!

For those of us with a loyalty to the Star Alliance, Thai is a good option in terms of benefits particularly if you have gold membership. I will continue to divide my monthly travel between Australia and Asia between SQ and TG.

I have no gripe against Thai Air (and I've flown them both domestically and internationally)... except....

Every flight I've ever taken anywhere in Asia or between Asia and the U.S., when I sat down to compare in terms of price and value (price vs. quality), Thai Air has always come out behind some other carrier...whatever the route.

I don't know of any flight segment where Thai Air routinely offers the best flight experience for the best price available.... If they do, I've never encountered it...

Internationally, between Thailand and the U.S., EVA Air easily beats them hands down both on price and quality of flight experience.

Domestically, any place they fly to the same destination, Air Asia vastly outprices them, for not that much different of a flight experience.

About the only time Thai Air wins out...is when they're flying someplace that no one else serves...That's just the facts...

In direct response, privately owned BA responded on Wednesday with a series of "Flyer Pass's, priced between Bt9,000 and Bt29,000 (about $US264 to $US851) for a booklet of four flight tickets valid for one year.

Just visited Bangkok Airways website to check out the new promotion

http://bangkokair.com/flyerpass/index.php

I can't see any infoemation there that this fare includes 4 flights a year. Should I guess? There's minimum info and the information is very unclear.

Just a few questions that come to mind:

How many flights included?

How to book a certain flight?

Does it combine with flyer bonus / samui resident card?

When the flyer pass expire?

Does more expensive package cover destinations of the cheaper package?

etc

I wonder how many tickets they are going to sell this way?

Even if true about 4 flights I wonder how many people will need 4 tickects from Bangkok to Hiroshima or Maldives within 1 year for 29000 THB

Some of your questions are answered on the website. Take another look. Don't forget to get to Siam Paragon before the 26th of July in order to get another 20% discount. :)

Hi evilbaz - yes A330s operate to Perth, the good news is Thai has 2 new A330's with PTV's in economy already delivered and several more coming this year. These will operate on the Perth runs, they should have already started but there is a short delay awaiting ETOPS certification on the new aircraft as they have a different engine compared to the older A330's. These aircraft will also be scheduled on some Japan flights. The onboard product will be the same as the 772ER/A345/A346 and reconfigured 773's.

Tiger from Perth to Bangkok is cheap, but a big PITA (i have done it myself, and will avoid in the future)

I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at the price of flights I'm so loving this topic

You can get some real bargins with AirAsia now flying to Stansted just north of London, its worth noting that there are one or two optional extras that raise the price a little, such as baggage, a meal, a blanket, earphones etc. and you have to pay for a meal and even water which I think is awful, fair enough I would expect to pay on a budget flight if I wanted a beer or a coke but water c'mon!!

ALSO make sure you have some Malaysian Ringits with you to pay!!!

I recently booked a flight with Emirates flying from Birmingham UK to BKK via Dubai £399 which is just over 22000 Baht, Emirates are in my opinion one of the best if not the best carriers between Europe and Thailand and I will be flying on the new A380 superjumbo so I'm pretty impressed with that price =]

last time I flew with Thai airways it was very average, great to have a direct flight but the aircraft was pretty old and as someone else commented the website is pretty crap, I just tried to search for London -Bangkok mid August coming back Mid Sept and it quoted me £3650 for an economy fare!!!!! are they smoking crack?!! I thought British Airways were an over rated rip off!!!!

thaivisa-news.png

How many times have we heard this now? Airaisa is by far the cheapest but you have to fly via Kuala Lumpur.

People contact me want to saying they book my condos and will have a look at flights, you never hear from them again. So i tried to book a cheap from UK Thaiair over £1000 evaair £800. I came evaair a direct fight 2 years ago for £340. Next time I go to the UK it's airasia, anyone else have any suggestions, Denis.

This is want i have put on my add TRYING the rent my condos out.

Many people have asked about Flights, at the moment the cheapest way seems to be airasia there is a stop at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You then board the flight to Bangkok which you may have to book separately, but the total fare can be as low as £370 return from the U.K. Other airlines are evaair, emirates and jetair

I just flew British Airways LHR-BKK Return - out with only 2 days notice and the return easter next year (so super high season) and i got it for £340 inc taxes. You wont beat that on air asia !!!

Now, has anyone tried the new AA route to KL-London ? What seat space do you get and is there any entertainment. Knowing how small the seat space is on their short haul flights i'm loath to try longhaul unless there is realistic space for someone with long legs. Can anyone advise - i cant see details on their site.

I've just wasted an hour on the Kingfisher website. I tried flights from BKK to LHR via India, round trip and then one way, and all I got was a really awkward website and absolutely no results on any dates in any direction. Until they get their website into gear, forget them.

Watch Thai Air carefully. I looked on their sight and they had very low tickets prices but when it came time to book, then taxes and other fees jacked it up to double the price!

Air Asia has the best price as far as I can see.

BKK <> Chang Rai - RTN

Thai Airways "Happy all the way in Thailand, Super Save" - INCLUDING taxes: THB 3,790

Air Asia - INCLUDING taxes: THB 1,400

So, Thai Air plan on taking on the low cost airlines - FOR TWO MONTHS! And then what???? :)

And then you take the book from Prof. Doganis and you know what will happen to small players and to flag carriers. Thai will always be a flag carrier and will never be able to fight back Air Asia. Btw..Bangkok Air is a sub from Thai. So that means cannibalization effect for both airlines if they use the promotions on wing-to-wing flights. So who will be the long-term winner? I just replied the question above :D

Watch Thai Air carefully. I looked on their sight and they had very low tickets prices but when it came time to book, then taxes and other fees jacked it up to double the price!

Air Asia has the best price as far as I can see.

Not true.

I have just found a flight for a friend to fly to bkk next month on 6th with qatar airways.

Returning sept 29th.

Total including taxes GBP 319 ok he has 4 hours to wait in doha.

Edited by cyborg22

What a load of crap. THAI and BKK AIR are not even close to AirAsia in pricing or service.

I fly sometimes 2/3 times a year to the uk.

There was a time when i found emirates cheaper than most, In fact sometimes they can still be cheaper. The service from them cannot be rivaled by any airline.

You have to be prepared to shop around and bookmark the cheapest you find.

But Air Asia, Traveled with them once or twice. Not sure if i would again (take that anyway you like)

Edited by cyborg22

Air Asia is running a brand new A330 on the KUL-MEL-KUL route.

Thai is just not worth the extra money IMO.

For me, air travel is merely a product and who is going to pay triple for an identical (or at the very least comparable) product?

Only a total mug.

Edited by Oberkommando

Just visited Bangkok Airways website to check out the new promotion

http://bangkokair.com/flyerpass/index.php

I can't see any infoemation there that this fare includes 4 flights a year. Should I guess? There's minimum info and the information is very unclear.

Just a few questions that come to mind:

How many flights included?

How to book a certain flight?

Does it combine with flyer bonus / samui resident card?

When the flyer pass expire?

Does more expensive package cover destinations of the cheaper package?

etc

I wonder how many tickets they are going to sell this way?

Even if true about 4 flights I wonder how many people will need 4 tickects from Bangkok to Hiroshima or Maldives within 1 year for 29000 THB

You get 4 coupons under your name, with which you can book 4 flights at PG without, of course, other bonus under your name in the mentioned time frame. You would be a fool to you choose a cheaper destination with a more expansive flyer pass, but it would be possible.

PG seems hoping to sell more tickets this way on domestic routes.