Advice In Looking For A Condo To Rent

My significant other (SO) and I will begin looking for a condo to rent very soon; my retirement visa should be coming through in mid-August.

I'm quite sure we want to rent in the Thong Lor/Phrom Pong area or perhaps Soi Aree, but that's not the issue.

My SO is Thai, so the language barrier is not an issue (I hope).

We are planning to use one of the agencies.

What do we need to know in general before we go out hunting?

What questions should we ask?

Your suggestions (other than location) are welcome. We will be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom, 50,000-70,000 (THB), low or mid-rise.

Thanks for your ideas!

Age of the condo interior, and especially the high energy consuming electrical equipment like air-con units and refrigerator.

Find out the unit charges for water and electricity. Standard for water is Bt15-16 per unit, while electricity paid directly to the government dept varies from Bt4 to 4.5 depending on price of fuel.

Will you be subscribing for phone and internet line, and cable TV directly, and paying for them yourself?

Will the monthly maintenance fee of the condo be included into your rent, ie. the landlord will pay for it?

Is the layout of your condo unit to your satisfaction? Quality of natural light and ventilation adequate? Or do you have to use the air-con and turn on lights to occupy major space like bedrooms, dining and living areas during daylight? Height of ceiling and presence of ceiling fans will allow avoiding use of air-con units during the rainy and cool seasons.

Quality of sound proofing, and any excessive noise from neighbours or adjacent buildings.

Quality of locks and security.

Level of pollution should you prefer keeping windows and doors opened most of the time.

Location of condo from medical facilities that you may need.

Location of condo from an adequate choice of eating places, to reduce time wasted to get a good meal.

Edited by trogers

Remember the agent is only interested in him or herself.

While the agent surely works on commission it is also a referral business and free of charge for the buyer/renter. If the agent only thinks about himself they won't get any referrals..

Your comment is a grave generalization and is not what I have found.