What Was Thailand Like During The Sixties And Seventies?

garro

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I missed a thread of how thailand used to be :D I have shed loads of Black and white photo,s from my time in thailand in the early 60,s, nightmare bridges in the north eastern provinces, 100dollars US for a taxi from Don Muang to Phuket for 4 of us and the driver stayed with us for a week,the Usaaf taking over Korat airbase, and waking up to find the departingNew Zealand forces had stencilled Dayglo orange Kiwis on all vehicles and planes, the opening of Barbos Bar the first bar in pattaya with a concrete floor and refridgeration,the lasting friendships that were made and still contiue today, watching an aussie sapper divining for water for a new well in the village , being shown the carnal delights of village life , without having to pay for a sick buffalo :D aftermy 3 years was up being tattooed by the puyai baan and given a 50sahlung gold chain to remind me of myfriends in the village,here are a few photo,s :)

1/pattaya beach, 2/Aussie water diviner, 3/No toilets but a 9 hole golf course 4/Another Knackered Bridge 5/ A drive along pattaya beach

Fantastic stuff.

Chiang Mai was very, very sleepy.  You could stay in a guesthouse for 50 baht easily. Almost all the forests up there were pristine still.  

There were very few western movies played anywhere, western tv was non-existant, there were no ATM's yet nor internet. It was fun being one of the few frangs about, but some of the modern conveniences are now truly appreciated

Edited by bonobo

I came across a great link a while back. It's a blog done by a guy who lived in Patong in the late 70's and 80's. He tells stories of all the going's ons, and with pictures. He still updates it. Be sure to check out the archives in the right hand column. Warning, it's very addicting.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?blog=22

SB

Thanks very much for posting the URL for the blog. Addicting indeed. Though I didn't spend any time in Patong until 1985 I know several the folks mentioned in the blog and of course heard stories about the many characters who'd left for parts unknown before I arrived.

-redwood

Chaing Mia was very, very sleepy.  You could stay in a guesthouse for 50 baht easily. ALmost all the forests up there were pristine still.

There were very few western movies played anywhere, western tv was non-existant, there were no ATM's yet nor internet. 

I don't believe the bit about the internet. How could they possibly buy stuff and communicate with one another?

Ah yes – the Napoleon Bar. Certainly brings back memories of when I first came here in 1971. Great place for lunch – Sandwiches on French Bread, pleasant waitresses and the scion of the Patpong clan at his usual table just inside the door well sozzled by 12.00 mid-day, every day. Never went to the Jazz Jam sessions but I believe Clarinet was the British Dispensary's Doctor Paddy Dixon, certainly not HM!

The Bars and Nightclubs on Petchburi Road were almost exclusively the preserve of US Servicemen – Patpong was more the place where Expats gathered.

A picture of Pattaya Beach Road in a Link provided earlier shows "the Big Tree" – smack in the middle of the road at the junction there, the original Dolf Riks restaurant was on the corner. They eventually had to cut the tree down because drunken clots were always driving into it.

The beers available were almost exclusively Singha and Amarit – although outside Bangkok and other main cities it was hard to find anything but Singha ……. which I guess is why I have been drinking that for nearly 40 years

The Bar on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 19 was The Joker Club. Downstairs was a Gogo place run by Mukta, with the dancers in what today would be considered VERY unsexy costumes – something like a Bikini your Mum would wear – and ankle length high heeled boots. Dancing was rather like Texas Line Dancing, rather than what we would call "Gogo" but something of an innovation then. Upstairs was a very popular Country and Western bar with a resident Band playing Merle Haggard, Johnnie Cash etc. etc.. All Americans except the Philipino Lead Guitar.

Ah – and yes, The Balcony Bar on New Road near the Oriental Hotel, with Tony Aguillo on piano and vocals.

Patrick

Yes, all good memories.

Paddy Dixon is alive and well in Bangkok and well into his 80's.

The British Dispensary was the must pace to go in those days if you had a bad itch in the nether regions,so we all got to meet him from time to time. :D

Although long offficially retired, Paddy still takes care of my friend's health who just celebrated his 40th year in Thailand.

Do you remember all the "Rosemary" bars spread along Sukhumvit? Mainly GI hangouts.

Soi Cowboy came into existence in the mid seventies - thanks to the genial but alcoholic, and sadly long deceased "Cowboy" and Trink's tireless promotion in the Bangkok World.

How about the "Thai Heaven" dance hall on Petchburi. Now that was fun :)

Also, I forgot, HM The King occasionally fronted up to play clarinet with a Jazz group in one of the cafes in Pat Pong, on Sunday nights, IIRC.

You're not kidding are you? That must have been an amazing thing to see. This thread I like. And some of the links to those pics, great stuff.

Good idea Garro.

This website has a 'history' section relating to bar areas with a few photographs. I found Klong Toey an interesting case. It will also tell you how the current farang areas like Pat Pong originated.

http://www.bangkokeyes.com/

Thanks citizen. I'm a bit of a numpty when doing online stuff and I never see the whole website when I visit one as I don't spend much time online, but that's changing.

Cheers.

P.S. I think it is probably okay to post this link to a non-rival site, but if the moderators disagree please remove.

Great thread, thanks. Change kind of creeps up on you and you hardly notice it is happening. Kinda like growing old. It is one reason why I take as many photos as I do. You can see the changes in your local neighbourhood even after a few years.

Thanks alot everyone who has posted some pics, it sure does look alot more peaceful back then.When ever i go to bkk i often see a old bloke from canada.Who was there is the 60 70 and 80 .He said

Thais seemed alot more chilled back then, and as someone else said ,you would not get introuble for a joint .And infact some bars had a bowl with weed in what you could use i remember him saying .

As the other posted said, Thanks alot for posting that blog, it is a very good read.It sure does look lovely back then .And thanks for posting the link to the other old 13 page thread wish i could of been there.One more thing i remember him saying that the Thais back then was smaller than they are now , and he thought that was down to weston style food and they seem taller to.

Edited by deon

The Joker had to have had the narrowest stairway ever, to get there. Later the downstairs was made into a restaurant 'Cock and Bull' if memory serves correctly. The band was great and the hostess were in a league of their own throwing darts. There was a American 'Joe" down soi 19, before getting to Honey hotel, had a small bar/cafe. anyone know what happened to him?

I was in the Air Force at U-Tapao during 66-67. Beer (large) in a bar was 15 baht while 10 for a small one. In a store outside, you could get it (large beer) for 13 baht. Most of the bar action was around the bases of the US military. Pattaya had two bars while I was here in 66-67 and both were off limits to US personnel due to medical regulations. Most of the bars had the girls living in the bar in the back. Bars (some anyway) were run on diesel generators which only rain at night. Food as above was very cheap. 3 baht for a bowl of noodles. 5 baht for cowpot. To get along, you had to learn some small amount of Thai. Baht bus from UT to Sattahip was 1 baht. 5 or 10 baht to Pattaya. The bar area during my stay at UT was in Kilosib and Kilosib-song. The only thing I could recognize in Kilosib last year was the Swan Lake Hotel. It was over 1/2 kilometer from the highway in '66' but now right beside the highway. Must have moved the road. The bar I drank in was the future site of the base hospital if the US military had not been directed to leave later. I know this as I was in civil engineers and saw the future base layout in the engineering department.

Was it nice? A lot nicer then. Very few were money hungry. Women were a lot more jealous and you could get hurt if you butterflied. But a lot of fun.

The Joker had to have had the narrowest stairway ever, to get there. Later the downstairs was made into a restaurant 'Cock and Bull' if memory serves correctly. The band was great and the hostess were in a league of their own throwing darts. There was a American 'Joe" down soi 19, before getting to Honey hotel, had a small bar/cafe. anyone know what happened to him?

The Cock & Bull was on the corner of Sukhumvit 19 and Sukhumvit, where Robinsons is now. Great spare ribs. In 1974 the Honey was 250 Baht night if my memory is correct. Federal hotel was the sister hotel. The roses bars were across the road, now at Nana plaza). DOM (Dirty old man) in Soi cowboy for Sunday lunch and show. No skytrain but plenty of traffic.

Tuning on the radio to watch TV with English sound. Washingston square for the movies with the English soundtrack room upstairs (now the Mamba). With waiter service. As if we didn't drink enough. Prince of Wales and I even think Bourbon Street was there then. Some of it gets a bit cloudy. Must have been the water.

I was there during one of the curfews and if you were in a bar when it started you had to stay the night. Boo Hoo.

Fond memories being young and reckless.

:D

I would just like to say to all, thanks for this thread. One of the best ever.

I have been here since 1998 and my friend, in Burriram, since 1987.

He told me of Pattaya at that time. I wish I could have seen Thailand in a less westernised era. :)