13 Coins Restaurant

65Craig

Does anyone know what happened to the 13 Coins Restaurant? This used to be my wife's favorite restaurant and we thought the place was just going to be closed for remodeling, but they never re-opened at the old location (it's been at least 10 months). Also, the old phone numbers ring, but nobody picks up. Anyway, did they open in another location? Close their doors for good? If anyone knows the scoop, it would be greatly appreciated.

I can't tell you what's happened to it but judging from the one and only time I visited, I am not surprised to hear it's no longer running. If I remember rightly it was either a branch or a franchise location for a chain.

I went there around 1991 or so and ordered spaghetti. They brought me a plate of noodles and a bottle of catsup. I never went back.

Wow. How ever did it survive a further 16 years to give me one of the worst meals I ever had in town when decent places go to the wall all the time?

Dont know what location are you asking about. They have about ten. The one on Rachada in BKK has a hotel too. The western food sucks, but the thai and seafood is not that bad. Also, been to the one on Ramkhamhang. Check their website and ask your wife to call another branch

Also one with Hotel at Bang Yai, Restaurant food can be superb sometimes, very inexpensive, one thing always appear to be good is there Pizza, 165baht for a large Pizza tastes and beats the other chains.

I have been a few times, they have 2 Restaurants one appears to be mostly used for Parties, what I found is if there are a handful of people then the food is very good, if there are a lot of people or the other restaurant is also in use then the food can be very poor.

I think we are referring to the one in Chiang Mai on the canal road just around the corner on the north side of Huay Kaew Road. I haven't been there for about as long as UG. Food was never anything special.

Same one, and I concur!

If you noticed the question, it was actually my wife's favorite place not mine. She is Thai and yes ordered Thai food (usually really delicious seafood dishes). Anyway, it always baffles me when Farang go to a Thai owned and operated place, and then proceed to order Italian Food and expect it to be great. With that said, on the occasion I felt like something different, I would order Beef Ribs and they were comparable to Dukes in taste, at only half the price. In all the times I went there with the wife and her friends (many a birthday party there), I never left hungry, never left disappointed, and never felt a big hit to the wallet. A great all around deal if you ask me.... But as the saying goes: Each to their own.

Anyway, my wife was just curious why it closed (or possibly moved to another location), because it was usually full when we went there (95% Thai). I know there are 24 or so locations in Bangkok, so obviously they are doing something right.

I went there around 1991 or so and ordered spaghetti. They brought me a plate of noodles and a bottle of catsup. I never went back.

Thats funny...reminds me of a cafe in malaysia about 20 years ago. they had tomato soup on the menu. When it arrived it was a soup bowl of hot water with a tomato cut into quarters !!!!

It's one of the closest restaurants to our house, and we've always wondered if it was the same as the one within a mile of our place in the Seattle area (logo and signage are the exact same) but we've never ventured in, although I've considered it as a possibility each year for the Doll's birthday...