Kawasaki Boss Vs Honda Phantom

msg362

I know both a 'mini choppers' but they are both comfortable to ride and great for me at 184 cm. I had a Phantom for over 5 years, travelling regularly to Mae Hong Son/ Pai in the early years. Reliable and just about enough power. I decided to change it recently but did not like the 'fireblade edition', heard stories about poorer quality etc., so I bought a Kawa Boss. I live in Sankamphaeng and regularly use it to travel to 20 Km into and around CM. A list of my experiences over the first 1500 km. I'd like to hear others views/ opinions.

1 The Boss is cheaper: 79500 including front and rear crash bars from the big Kawa dealer on the south side of the moat in CM. The Phantom was 90,000 without bars. A saving of aroung 15,000.

2 The boss engine was tight for the first 1000Km, important to run it in gently. But there is a 3 year warranty on the engine and gearbox. ( I had trouble in the last 2 years on the Phantom getting into neutral from 2nd, had to change down to 1st before neutral). Now at 1500 km it's running like a sewing machine ( yes I know, it's not much bigger than a sewing machine engine!! Ha Ha). Gear change fine.

3 I prefer the 5 speed box on the Boss to the 6 on the Phantom, 1st seems higher than the Phantom which means moving off requires slower/fewer changes.

4 Boss has a rear drum brake, took a bit of getting used to, but now I like it for gentle braking. Not sure what will happen if I really have to stop!

5 Getting 35-36 Km/litre, over 300 Km between fills on the main tank. ( Cruising at 80-90 kph)

6 The riding position on the Boss is more 'armchair like' than the Phantom

7 I like the trip speedo handlebar mounted, don't like the direction indicator mounted on the tank, difficult to see, easy to forget.

8 Boss is quieter than my ( old) Phantom

9 Seems to have about the same power ( if that's the right word!). Don't know the bhp for the Boss, I can't find a reference anywhere, if someone knows, please tell me. The Phantom has 17BHP I think.

10 The quality/ finish of the boss is fine, far better than the Tiger I looked at, which had a host of defects.

11 Maybe the resale value is not as good as the Phantom, but I'm going to keep this for a number of years so I'm not fussed. ( Until a 250 chopper comes out)

I've fitted side bags and a top box and it's just great for commuting, a little shopping and getting around Chiang Mai. No it's not fast, but it does what it claims to do very well.

Any thoughts?

I was a big fan of the Phantom, but like you I have changed. The Boss is far more comfortable if you are over 5' 8". The postion of the speedo is much better and the trip meter is very handy. Also the Boss has a bigger gas tank 500 kms per tank Phantom only about 400. Also the Kawasaki has a reserve tap. The indicator light was a problem but I mounted a nice LED light by the speedo so I can see when it's on. I had a phantom for many years but the boss has to many advantages to be ignored. I got tired of the uncomfortable riding position, the noise and the horrible transmition, so 'clicky' and 'clunky' I'm much happier to enjoy 'unlimited freedom' Ha Ha.

I

Moving this thread to Bikes forum.

A fellow member with a Suzuki Raider 150 bought a used Boss and soon sold it back; no real complaints. I still have never ridden a Boss, but for 3 days this month, I had to ride a Phantom 200. Ten-liter tank is plenty large, but I never feel right on a mini-chopper.

msg362, if you're worried about the stopping power of the rear drums; don't be. I'll bet that you could find out just how much bite they have----get up to say 60 kph, pull in the clutch and stomp on the rear brake alone. If you don't feel the rear end locking up and trying to step out on ya, then the brakes are too weak. However, I'd be willing to bet that you crapping your pants as you try to get the bike back in a straight line is more likely.

I'd be more worried about the front brakes. With as heavy as a bike as the Boss is, those will be much more overwhelmed in a panic stop than the rear brakes.

Enjoy your bike (even though it's not a Honda :)). Seems to get fabulous milage, in fact in line with what the smaller CBR 150s get. If you want more power you could always rig up a garden hose to your intake tract and blow on it for a supercharger effect (it's a joke!).

I love my boss its a nice bike i cant comment on the phantom i have never ridden one.

I would love it if i could get a lil bit more power out of it just 10-20 kmph on the top. Then it would be perfect.

I wonder if the tiger 250 is 10-20 kmph faster.

I love my boss its a nice bike i cant comment on the phantom i have never ridden one.

I would love it if i could get a lil bit more power out of it just 10-20 kmph on the top. Then it would be perfect.

My fat ass was on the Boxer 250 for quite a distance, and it was able to easily maintain 130kph+.

Top speed of Phantom 200? I could not get the bf's Phantom above 115 kph on a stretch where my CBR150 hits 130 - the bigger bike runs out of top end power. I was afraid I'd overrun the rev limit. Like Honda 100 Dreams, and Tiger Boxer 231RS, there are no tachometers.

I have owned 2 Boss's and now a Phantom, as well as various other bikes in LOS up to 750cc even a JRD chopper (how embarassing). I think the Boss is the best of the lot in retrospect, the parts are cheaper, engines reliable and it feels lighter than the Phantom so handling around town is better. Economy was better also. On a long distance you can change the seat, pegs and bars on any bike to suit your riding position so it should not make a difference but with the current config my Phantom is an evil back breaker. Performance wise, you don't buy these bikes for performance but I think the Boss and the Phantom are evenly matched, just don't load it down with loads of crappy extras. Stopping problem is no problem for either bike. If you want more power strip it down and go on a diet, then up your life insurance. I have not ridden a Boxer buy might buy one next, when i get bored with the Phantom. For performance I'd buy a 2-stroke like an RX-Z or TZR as a backup for days when you fancy getting your knee down. 2nd bikes are cheap in LOS no harm in having more than one for different occasions.

I loved my Boss. I especially liked the fact that it was a little faster than my friend's Phantoms. Not that the Boss or the Phantom have power to spare but my Boss could easily keep up with the traffic on highways. It was always dependable and never let me down. I never owned a Phantom but riding one was not as comfortable for me as riding the Boss.

My fat ass was on the Boxer 250 for quite a distance, and it was able to easily maintain 130kph+.

Are those real KPH with sat nav or on the bike ?

I was a big fan of the Phantom, but like you I have changed. The Boss is far more comfortable if you are over 5' 8". The postion of the speedo is much better and the trip meter is very handy. Also the Boss has a bigger gas tank 500 kms per tank Phantom only about 400. Also the Kawasaki has a reserve tap. The indicator light was a problem but I mounted a nice LED light by the speedo so I can see when it's on. I had a phantom for many years but the boss has to many advantages to be ignored. I got tired of the uncomfortable riding position, the noise and the horrible transmition, so 'clicky' and 'clunky' I'm much happier to enjoy 'unlimited freedom' Ha Ha.

I

That's a great sales pitch; if my 56 kilo missus is able to get 500 kms range per tank, and I carry a plastic siphon hose and transfer 100 kms plus worth of fuel to my D-Tracker if needed, extending my max range of 220 kms on a tank.

Not many used Kawa Bosses on the market is there?

I

That's a great sales pitch; if my 56 kilo missus is able to get 500 kms range per tank, and I carry a plastic siphon hose and transfer 100 kms plus worth of fuel to my D-Tracker if needed, extending my max range of 220 kms on a tank.

Not many used Kawa Bosses on the market is there?

I see them from time to time for sale. Im quite happy with mine to be honest. But i might like a tiger boxer too.

That's from the guages on the bike. However, when ran against the GPS on my Ninja, it was ~2 KPH optimistic at 80KPH. So if the bike was reading 134 KPH, it would have been an actual 130.

That's from the guages on the bike. However, when ran against the GPS on my Ninja, it was ~2 KPH optimistic at 80KPH. So if the bike was reading 134 KPH, it would have been an actual 130.

Ok then that might be the speed increase i want. My boss does around 107 max on the GPS. Sometimes i like to go faster then that when im on one of the bigger roads and there is not much traffic. Its great for passing cars and so on.

Ok then that might be the speed increase i want. My boss does around 107 max on the GPS. Sometimes i like to go faster then that when im on one of the bigger roads and there is not much traffic. Its great for passing cars and so on.

Do look carefully at the Tiger 250. I almost bought one but was worried about the finish. Thehose for the back brake rubbed on the frame and no doubt one day would fail. Various other bits of welding were badly finished and the clutch was fierce. Would be an excellent bike if I could be sure of the reliablity and finish.

A few weeks ago I went to Changrai to look for a bike, lots of used Phantoms in a price range starting from 55000Thb till 65000Thb. Last week I decided to go back and buy the one I saw for 55000Thb. The price had changed for the same bike from 55000Thb to 65000Thb. A little pissed off I decided to go to the other shops I'd seen Phantoms and their prices had also gone up, finally near the airport I found a shop with one Phantom and one Kawasaki Boss (40.000 Thb). I loved the test ride with the Kawasaki Boss and bought it straight away, easy handling and enough power for the Highways.

Edited by Frenske

A few weeks ago I went to Changrai to look for a bike, lots of used Phantoms in a price range starting from 55000Thb till 65000Thb. Last week I decided to go back and buy the one I saw for 55000Thb. The price had changed for the same bike from 55000Thb to 65000Thb. A little pissed off I decided to go to the other shops I'd seen Phantoms and their prices had also gone up, finally near the airport I found a shop with one Phantom and one Kawasaki Boss (40.000 Thb). I loved the test ride with the Kawasaki Boss and bought it straight away, easy handling and enough power for the Highways.

They shoot themselves in the foot sometimes,why did they all put the prices up, maybe they see falang and up the price?

you got a good deal mate 40,000 seams a good price for the boss.

Firts time I went for a look, I was unshaved sweaty and maybe smelled abit, second time I came with the misses, clean shave, used axe and wore a shirt with necktie because I wanted to make some passport pictures. Probably they smelled money. The Boss was an unexpected good deal.

Should be able to pick one up cheaper, I sold both of my Boss's for less than 40k after I had finished with them and I still made a profit on them both. Anyway, if anyone wants a Phantom for 5k more and can't find a decent 2nd Boss, my Phantom is for sale...I'm getting bored of mine and I am considering switching to a Boxer.

Should be able to pick one up cheaper, I sold both of my Boss's for less than 40k after I had finished with them and I still made a profit on them both. Anyway, if anyone wants a Phantom for 5k more and can't find a decent 2nd Boss, my Phantom is for sale...I'm getting bored of mine and I am considering switching to a Boxer.

Hi bkk eddy,

I shall welcome you than as possible future owner of an Tiger Boxer (250 Rs i assume?)...i got mine (250 Rs) almost 4 month ago...great ride and no headaches...Tigers service is outstanding too.

Let us know when you got it...

Mbox

Edited by mbox

• 6 months later...

I would like to know the website adress of Kawasaki Boss and Honda phantom in english to compare the technic of thisd 2 motos.

I cannot find them.

In Thailand, ere they other moto, not too much sport, between 150 CC to 200 CC in other brands ?

Are they Scooters between 150 CC to 200 CC ?

Bye

• 1 month later...
Top speed of Phantom 200? I could not get the bf's Phantom above 115 kph on a stretch where my CBR150 hits 130 - the bigger bike runs out of top end power. I was afraid I'd overrun the rev limit. Like Honda 100 Dreams, and Tiger Boxer 231RS, there are no tachometers.

dont worry, you will not over rev. all bikes in thailand hasrev limiter. it will automatically cut off at certain rpm. just rev it.. nothing to worry about. perhaps use some good branded synthetic oil. and u r ready to rev up your bike at anytime and anyway you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mems, i from VN, now i live in VN also.My name is Ku I know kawasaki boss 175 in vn is from Thailand.In VN, we dont have so many Phantom(very hard to find Phantom200cc). Now i want to buy a cruiser like boss 175. I compare the price between boss175( 5600 Obama) and Phantom 200cc(2007) is 6000 Obama. But i dont know which one is better(quality, engine, confortable,fuel spent, spare parts..).so Can someone give me some advise, thanks

My Boss just celebrated it's 9th birthday and still going strong. loved it since I bought it, but can't compare because I have never ridden a Phantom. All I have paid for since day one is servicing, never a minutes trouble with the Boss.

Cheers, Rick