The Word "blasphemy" In Thai

thairookie

การสบประมาทศาสนา

gaan sòp bprà-mâat sàat-sà-naa

(gaan changes verb to noun, sòp bprà-mâat insult belittle, sàat-sà-naa religion)

Edited by Texpat

การสบประมาทศาสนา

(gaan changes verb to noun, sòp bprà-mâat insult belittle, sàat-sà-naa religion)

Thank you. The only problem is with the word ศาสนา included it's difficult to apply the การสบประมาทศาสนา in a figurative way. For example, if a highly reverend monk is being accused of patronizing Poseidon, instead of 'sa raai' which means slander, I'd like to add some sting and say it's blasphemy. But really it has nothing to do with religion.

The most common Thai phrase would be ลบหลู่ -- meaning to show disrespect or disdain, to disparage. Frequently used with religion, but not necessarily.

ลบหลู่สิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ means to blaspheme or commit sacrelige -- disrespect sacred things.

For example, there's an expression I've heard people say many times, ไม่เชื่อก็อย่าลบหลู่ basically, "If you don't believe it, at least don't mock it." ไม่เชื่อก็อย่าลบหลู่ is a common defense against skepticism. Or it may be uttered by someone as a well-meaning warning to beware of denigrating things deserving respect. Thais generally believe that anything considered sacred by some should be accorded respect, even if it is not one's own belief.

However, in a non-religious context ลบหลู่ is also applicable. The Royal Institute Dictionary gives the example, นาย ก ลบหลู่บิดานาย "Mr. A disrespected his father." But I think that is kind of dated usage, as most of the time it seems to be used with respect to religious/mystical/supernatural beliefs. Although it would be interesting to meet a staunch creationist Christian Thai disparaging evolution and try this phrase out on them! ;P

Also, in the Thai Christian context, หมิ่นพระเจ้า is used for blasphemy. But หมิ่นศาสนา works for any religion.

[Edit: Didn't see oldsparrow's comment -- sorry for the repeat]

Also, in the Thai Christian context, หมิ่นพระเจ้า is used for blasphemy. But หมิ่นศาสนา works for any religion.

หมิ่นพระเจ้า really means "despise or insult God", and it's made up of 2 different words. That is the problem with Thai language, and with the word "God" inserted the application is very much restricted. I will go find out more about the meaning of ลบหลู่.

การสบประมาทศาสนา

Thank you. The only problem is with the word ศาสนา included it's difficult to apply the การสบประมาทศาสนา in a figurative way. For example, if a highly reverend monk is being accused of patronizing Poseidon, instead of 'sa raai' which means slander, I'd like to add some sting and say it's blasphemy. But really it has nothing to do with religion.

I believe that ไม่ให้เกียรติ or ไม้รู็จักเกรงใจ or ไม่รู้ที่สูงที่ต่ำ or another such phrase would be the most likely approach for a native speaker to make such a point. The outrage is that such an accusation violates the traditional social standing of the monk, so these common expressions work. The fact that this person of high social standing happens to be a person of high standing in the Buddhist clergy is perhaps only a side factor and doesn't need to feature in the expression of your outrage.

Also, I find it strange to think of an attack on the character of a monk as 'blasphemy'. I don't think we would use such a term with respect to a priest.

อานนท์

การสบประมาทศาสนา

I believe that ไม่ให้เกียรติ or ไม้รู็จักเกรงใจ or ไม่รู้ที่สูงที่ต่ำ or another such phrase would be the most likely approach for a native speaker to make such a point. The outrage is that such an accusation violates the traditional social standing of the monk, so these common expressions work. The fact that this person of high social standing happens to be a person of high standing in the Buddhist clergy is perhaps only a side factor and doesn't need to feature in the expression of your outrage.

Also, I find it strange to think of an attack on the character of a monk as 'blasphemy'. I don't think we would use such a term with respect to a priest.

อานนท์

In Thailand if you want to make a statement about Buddhism or the actions of a particular monk, you should speak specifically to the actions. Never calling a monk or someone in robes a name. Since in Thailand it is equivalent to speaking poorly against the King or Royal Family. Do not expect to make friends or lure people to your way of thinking or religious beliefs this way.

In Buddhism, There is a "Right Path" and "Dhukka"/Suffering. To point out someone's mistakes is both unrpoductive and perpetuates more suffering. Not the path to Nibbana/Nirvana/End of Suffering.

In the Thai/Buddhist mindset fill the voids and mistakes with what is right will encourage growth. To speak in negatives is equal to putting weed killer on your lawn...since grass is technically a weed also, it does more harm than good.