Solar Eclipse 2009 To Cross Thailand At 8.10am

george

Solar eclipse 2009 to cross Thailand at 8.10am

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (THAIVISA.COM): -- Residents from the southernmost to the northernmost provinces of the country will catch the edge of the largest solar eclipse of the 21st century commencing at 8.10am today, Wednesday.

The full solar eclipse will occur over India and China, but residents of Phuket will catch a 20 percent view, while those in the northern most provinces will get a 60 percent view – depending local weather conditions.

The eclipse will first make landfall at 6.30am (0100 UTC/8am TST) on the western Indian state of Gujarat, before racing across India, blacking out the holy city of Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges, squeezing between the northern and southern tips of Bangladesh and Nepal, before engulfing most of Bhutan, traversing the Chinese mainland and slipping back out to sea off Shanghai.

Doctors, astronomers and government bodies, along with major news media in all countries to be under and beside the 258km (160 mile) wide path of the eclipse, have issued warnings to people not to look skyward without adequate eye protection.

Looking directly at the photosphere of the Sun, the bright disk of the Sun itself, even for just a few seconds, can cause permanent damage to the retina of the eye, because of the intense visible and invisible radiation that the photosphere emits.

Large public and private viewings of the eclipse have been organized along the path of the shadow, with many of Thailand’s universities organizing the events and providing free eye protection to those attending.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-07-21

What is adequate protection for the eyes to watch the Sun directly? When I was young my parents used some broken glass held over a candle but still told me not to look for long .. I can still see .. but is there a better way? Are dark sunglasses better or worse?

Apparently you can look at the sun through the sruface of a regular CD, there appears to be a layer of some metal that protects the eyes. You also have to find a spot on CD that is not covered by paint, probably lettering for brand name.

Yesterday I prepared binoculars - they can project the image of the sun on the sheet of paper.

No use - it's raining.

Who needs eye protection when it's all cloudy!

Actually I believe you DO need it when it is cloudy,

because some rays will go through the cloud and burn the eyes anyway.

Not all light frequencies pass through clouds the same way.

To cloudy to see squat now... oh well.

I am looking at my pictures from '98 at least.

about 20% percent right now. got an old film negative and looking through it. actually maybe more than 20%.

Here in Chiang Mai at 08.15 through hazy cloud the eclipse was clearly visable with about 40% of the left hand side obscured....not very interesting,apart from the birds being quiet.

We got up and made cardboard pinhole thingies, but they didn't work cos too much cloud... thanks to our neighbour who cut up an x-ray and gave us a square of it, or we would have missed the eclipse... birds stopped singing and at times the shadows were a bit weird... was sad that there were so many clouds, but at least we saw it! Our dog was enjoying it as we were all outside with her (so she thought)... :)