Simple Food Question

Qiixi

Hello Friends

I'm back in the states right now and having withdrawals from the hot food. I'm trying to make that simple fiery sauce they give you at all the food courts or small restaurants off the beaten path.

It's just the little red and green phrik khi nu peppers sliced thin in some kind of clearish liquid. It is Soooooo Hot!!! My Wife says the liquid is Soy Sauce but all we have here in USA is Kikoman or La Choy soy sauce..really dark and salty and not so good.

I see lots of recipes for Chili Lime sauce and Chili fish sauce but they not the same..Any Ideas all you hard core Thai food fans?

Hello Friends

I'm back in the states right now and having withdrawals from the hot food. I'm trying to make that simple fiery sauce they give you at all the food courts or small restaurants off the beaten path.

It's just the little red and green phrik khi nu peppers sliced thin in some kind of clearish liquid. It is Soooooo Hot!!! My Wife says the liquid is Soy Sauce but all we have here in USA is Kikoman or La Choy soy sauce..really dark and salty and not so good.

I see lots of recipes for Chili Lime sauce and Chili fish sauce but they not the same..Any Ideas all you hard core Thai food fans?

Maybe you mean Prik Nam Plaa?

4 md Clove Garlic, Finely Chopped

1/4 c Fish Sauce (Naam Plaa)

1 tb Hot Red Chili Or Cayenne Pepper Flakes, Crushed**

1/2 c White Sugar

1 c Warm Water

6 tb Fresh Lime Juice

**To make it authentic, you should use Thai Prik Kii Nuu (Mouse Shit Peppers)

Yield: 1 3/4 Cups Of Sauce

Often just a saucer of fish sauce with prik kee neew, you can substitute the little tabasco chillies.

Fish sauce is available in in the US in every Safeway, Vons, and such type supermarkets I have been in from Calif to Wash DC via Texas and Alabama. Look in the oriental section.

Use fish sauce and lime juice in approx equal amounts, according to taste. Add chopped chillies or chilie powder.

Finely chopped shallots adds a bit of sweetness and another dimension.

My favourite additive to the basic fish/lime/chillie is a dash of very strong coffee....try it! :) I experimented with coffee when I was looking for an alternative to nam dee (bile) when trying to make "laph kom". I used freshly expressed coffee, but instant works too, just disolve it in as little hot water as possible.

I would love to know exactly how to make "lab kom" (or whatever it's called) which uses bile chillie and fish sauce (I think). Unfortunately, my GF is a non beef eater and the sauce probably is more prevalent in Issan or Cambodia, so she doesn't know anyway, not coming from those parts.

Nice! TY for the replies..I'm betting its the combo fish sauce/lime juice. Yeah I found the fish sauce a few weeks ago at a Smith's market in the Asian section. I'm in a remote part of New Mexico so not a lot of asian markets here.

Been using Habenero peppers to replace the Thai peppers. Hot enough but the Thai peppers seem to have a better taste.