Thai Plan Strengthens Thaksin's Powers

george

Thai plan strengthens PM's powers

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government has drafted a proposal that would strengthen Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's powers by allowing him to make emergency decisions with the backing of just one minister, documents showed today.

The proposed royal decree, which needs King Bhumibol Adulyadej's approval, aims at making the prime minister more flexible during crises, the cabinet document said.

Thaksin's political rivals have long argued that the premier has tried to concentrate too much power in the prime minister's office.

"Under the new royal decree, cabinet will reach a quorum with one third of ministers in normal situations, but in emergencies or for the benefit of secrecy, a quorum can involve only the prime minister and a concerned minister," the document said. A summary of the proposal was released on the cabinet's website.

Such a system has only been used by military leaders in the past, according to local media.

The proposed decree would require decisions made at any emergency cabinet meetings to be reported at the regular weekly meeting, where decisions could be reversed.

Cabinet secretary general Bovornsak Uwanno announced the proposal Friday at a meeting with more than 500 state officials in Bangkok, local media reported.

If the king endorses the proposal, it could take effect before the new government is formed.

Bovornsak was quoted in the Thai-language paper Matichon as saying he expected the proposal to receive royal approval before the new cabinet takes office, expected in mid-March.

The royal palace has not made any remarks on the proposal.

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party swept to an overwhelming victory in February 6 polls, making him the first prime minister to win re-election and allowing him to form the first-ever single-party government.

--The Australian 2005-02-26

It does sound disturbingly familiar...find a scapegoat..turn the populace against his scapegoat....push through sweeping new powers using the scapegoat as an excuse....next round up the scapegoat...round up anyone who diagrees with your treatment of the scapegoat...whats next death camps and dictatorship or shall we have juast a few death squads...ho hum choices choices

How quick can you liquidate your assets here? Seems to be a time for reconsiderations :o

suprised to hear you did not do this a long time ago :D

i'm ready to move on the first scent of trouble, or in other words, when i feel the heat i fly, make sure you're prepared for the worst case scenario :D

It takes a while to disentangle things. It is almost finalized. then I'm ready to go. :D

The proposed royal decree, which NEEDS King Bhumibol Adulyadej's approval, aims at making the prime minister more flexible during crises, the cabinet document said.

I am certain this will not be seen as a "bright idea".

Mr. Thaksin can forget it!

i agree it will never happen

Will be very interesting to see what Thaksins' reaction is if it doesn't.

The proposed royal decree, which NEEDS King Bhumibol Adulyadej's approval, aims at making the prime minister more flexible during crises, the cabinet document said.

i agree it will never happen

Will be very interesting to see what Thaksins' reaction is if it doesn't.

Unfortunately even when it doesn't get approved he has a good excuse for when there is a crisis. His reaction will be "If i had this approval i could have done more/better... etc."

So either way it will be positive for him. :o

How quick can you liquidate your assets here? Seems to be a time for reconsiderations :o

suprised to hear you did not do this a long time ago :D

i'm ready to move on the first scent of trouble, or in other words, when i feel the heat i fly, make sure you're prepared for the worst case scenario :D

It takes a while to disentangle things. It is almost finalized. then I'm ready to go. :D

Never bring/invest more into Thailand than you can afford to lose.

Sad to say, Thaksin got his wish. The King signed it a few days ago...

From http://chiangmaiforum.com

PM given broad power to issue resolutions

The controversial Royal decree giving the prime minister unprecedented power in case of “emergency” has been passed, with debate continue to rage over whether it will further dampen political transparency and checks and balances already threatened by his overwhelming parliamentary power.

The decree’s key architect, Cabinet secretary Borwornsak Uwanno, confirmed yesterday that His Majesty the King had signed it into law a few days before

Edited by Ajarn

Totally agree.

This will never be agreed to!!!!

Thank God Thailand has the greatest monarch ever