Gay Chiang Mai Suggestions?

pauleddy

Not been there for four years. Stayed then at lotus hotel (boring) and opp was Adam's apple (slouchy money boys dancing)

Where shd I stay now? I go to house of Male pms. Is it Soho that is near, and has rooms? I will go out at night but the night market was meat rack. I dont pay MBs. I like to meet student types or normal guys.

Any ideas for a 4 day trip? Where to stay. Sex will be in mind. Not too many MB bars tho.

Ed

Not been there for four years. Stayed then at lotus hotel (boring) and opp was Adam's apple (slouchy money boys dancing)

Where shd I stay now? I go to house of Male pms. Is it Soho that is near, and has rooms? I will go out at night but the night market was meat rack. I dont pay MBs. I like to meet student types or normal guys.

Any ideas for a 4 day trip? Where to stay. Sex will be in mind. Not too many MB bars tho.

Ed

PJs Place or Soho are good places to stay close to House of male (both walking distance). Don't know if if the new boutique gay hotel, Lanna Lavendar, is doing business yet.

For meeting people Gayromeo.com is popular in CM :) can't promise an absence of MBs though :D If you didn't like the Night Bazzar four years ago you'd hate it now! Glass Onion and Warm up would be one night out. Mandagay another, though you'd really need to hook up with some Thai people first, maybe in Soho bar, not a place to go alone. There are a couple of other threads going here about new places in CM - check those out and the Website PB suggested.

Hi Ed,

I stayed at the Soho Bar room upstairs once, did not like it. Mosquitos were around all the time and access to the place was via locked garden gates. I had to call the owner upon arrival to come to the place and let me in. The bathroom and sitting-room are separated by the stair-case that is accessible from the bar downstairs. Not private nor convenient. Only the bedroom was air-conditioned.

There is the Sri Tokyo Hotel (053)211100 on the corner of the Huay Keaw Road and the moat. Nice large clean rooms, not too expensive. They promised to pick me up from the airport, but never came, even when I called them from the airport :)

If you like House of Male, then why not stay at the Green Palace Hotel (053)894718 located at 70 Sirimungkalacharn Road. Opposite the hotel is the Soi (lane) where House Of Male is located (a 2 mins. walk). From here you can also walk to La Vie En Rose, a new gay bar, a couple of gay restaurants next to it AND to Nimmenhaemin Rd, where the noisy clubs full of university students are (Warm Up etc.). Green Palace has clean, simple rooms with A/C and bathroom.

As for Bars, Soho is good, but full of smokers. La Vie En Rose is nice, but needs more crowds. Sabai Dee Bar, next to Santhitham Guesthouse is very good.

The new Metro bar is the nicest bar in CM, IMO, but still needs the crowds. It is opposite the Lotus Hotel and under the (yet to open) new Adam's Apple.

See list and map of gay CM at triple W dot Radchada dot com

Enjoy!

There is the Sri Tokyo Hotel (053)211100 on the corner of the Huay Keaw Road and the moat. Nice large clean rooms, not too expensive. They promised to pick me up from the airport, but never came, even when I called them from the airport :D

This is now the Lanna Lavender Hotel I mentioned above. According to their website lannalavender.com they changed on 1st July. However, the website outlines big plans for the place that I suspect are a very long way off.

Some of their marketing claims are rather fanciful BS too e.g. Lavender Sky will be one of Thailand’s most upscale and beautiful rooftop lounge and restaurants serving up incredible views of the entire city of Chiang Mai, the Mae Rim valley, and the mountains of Northern Thailand Presume that'll be after they've demolished Chaing Mai RAM and Kad Suan Kaew :)

Another reasonable place is the new Condotel in the same soi as PJs. They do hotel services starting from about 900bt per night. see thedomechiangmai.com

Ed

You pays your money & takes your choice. Stayed at Lotus a few years ago & hated it, dull old place with small garden bar & thre old Adams Apple opp. Now has nice new bar at base of old AA called Metro. Then found PJs Place & stayed there every time since. New building, good service & very friendly. Close to Soho, La Vie en Rose & House of Male. Been looking at Lanna Lavender & it looks like it is the old Sri Tokyo in drag, but according to the billboard on the wall outside you do get Furniture, now thats a first!!!

Hi Shan. Long time no see.

I will let your comments stand, except if you discussed moderation. I agree about much that you said. At least we can now discuss openly some things about money boys, stealth or honest ones, such as 'marrying' a former sex worker.

"18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation."

Thanks for all of the replies.

The last reply contained a lot of "home truths" I guess, although cynicism seemed to gain the upper hand. I admitted that I wanted S_E_X, or variants of emotional/sexual entanglements, in my original post. I have seen the temples in CM, and I am being honest. Nothing less. Many of us want or need physical/sexual contact which can lead to deeper understanding or something lasting. I haven't quite given up. I live in BKK (I'm not a tourist), and I realise that there are many layers involved in any relationship here, especially with young men. Thanks for the reminder, though. Sobering.

I am still a bit confused about locations, i.e. hotels and bars. I guess I need to be somewhere not far from HoM and able to stagger to lounge bars like ?Soho.

I was aware that HoM is a bit sleazy (it was four yrs ago), although some posts here suggest that it is now a complete seething slime- pit of dross (etc.) Surely it's just like any sauna here? You takes your chances. There will be "nice" guys and other guys in there, regardless of HIV status. Are there any other saunas now? (actually I like sauna and have one most days even when there is no sex involved).

Eddy

For those who don't know about Chiang Mai's night bazzar and what goes on there, Cindy Tilney wrote an interesting expose for City Life magazine a couple of years back The other Side of the coin.

I think the paragraph that ends "Some of them start working in the sex trade as young as 10 or 11." is particualrly poignant.

Edited by Paagai

"Normal guys and students" are generally after other "normal guys and students." That doesn't exclude foreigners, but does mean that a certain equity around age, communication, education, common interests, and attraction are the main features.

To say that they are mainly interested in money exposes the writer as mainly having contact with English-speaking foreign-hunting gold-diggers, which is not the general Thai population.

To characterise a PLACE (like HoM) as a center for STD contraction rather than a BEHAVIOUR is a rather dangerous psychological projection. Many men (of all nationalities) have STD's; to protect yourself you need to monitor the behaviours you practice (like use of condoms) not the places you go (like Thailand, or a sauna, or a private party).

There is a chance that some posters on this thread will soon be disciplined for inflammatory posting. I suggest that we keep things cool at heart and avoid individual personal attacks or negative stereotyping of TV posters.