Naïve Flight Booking Question & Travel Insurance

Apologies for posting what is probably a simple question to answer...

I'm in the process of waiting for UK settlement visa with my partner and have been looking at several flight options to try to find good deals / connections etc

On the Eva Air website it says that I can only pay for a ticket with my credit card if the traveller (i.e. my fiancee in Thailand) then presents the same credit card at check-in... Obviously not keen to post my cedit card out to Thailand.

So the question is; do other airlines allow you to book a ticket for someone else online without later needing the credit card as a form of I.D.? How would it work? Do I simply put my fiancees address and email address in the booking information but with my card details? Or should I transfer the money to her account and let her pay for the ticket locally? :)

Also ref travel insurance; Mondial Assistance have quoted me 7,795 THB (£145) for 6 month travel insurance which seems a great deal. Has anybody heard of better? Everyone else seems to quote US$349 (£220) and up...

Thanks everyone

On the Eva Air website it says that I can only pay for a ticket with my credit card if the traveller (i.e. my fiancee in Thailand) then presents the same credit card at check-in... Obviously not keen to post my cedit card out to Thailand.

So the question is; do other airlines allow you to book a ticket for someone else online without later needing the credit card as a form of I.D.? How would it work? Do I simply put my fiancees address and email address in the booking information but with my card details? Or should I transfer the money to her account and let her pay for the ticket locally? :)

Also ref travel insurance; Mondial Assistance have quoted me 7,795 THB (£145) for 6 month travel insurance which seems a great deal. Has anybody heard of better? Everyone else seems to quote US$349 (£220) and up...

Most, but not all airlines have this rule. Contact the individual airlines or do as you suggest and book the ticket paying cash at an airline or travel agent in Thailand.

Travel insurance isn't really suited for people permanently locating to another country.

Edited by theoldgit

Most, but not all airlines have this rule. Contact the individual airlines or do as you suggest and book the ticket paying cash at an airline or travel agent in Thailand.

Travel insurance isn't really suited for people permanently locating to another country.

OK thanks - letting her buy direct is probably the best option then

Travel insurance is necessary as there is no NHS cover until we are married which may not be until 3-4 months after arrrival in the UK. I may be being over cautious but would rather be covered.

Thanks anyway

Thai airways don't require the holder of the credit card to be one of the travellers, I know as my wife recently flew to BKK from the UK and I booked it online with my credit card and she wasn't asked to produce the credit card at check in.

Brigante7.

Apologies for posting what is probably a simple question to answer...

I'm in the process of waiting for UK settlement visa with my partner and have been looking at several flight options to try to find good deals / connections etc

Thanks everyone

I have bought tickets for my wife to travel on her own within Thailand from Expedia using my card. They seem to be one of the few sites that will let you book & pay without the card holder being on the flight.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll certainly have a look at Expedia - Thai airways are charging £1500 for a one way flight in August at the minute!!!???

I think Etihad may also now be an option. I flew out to BKK in April and didn't need to show any CC I.D.

Thanks

Thai airways don't require the holder of the credit card to be one of the travellers, I know as my wife recently flew to BKK from the UK and I booked it online with my credit card and she wasn't asked to produce the credit card at check in.

I don't doubt this for a moment but there are restrictions with Thai if the CC holder is not a passenger,

http://www.thaiair.com/booking/non_pax_traveler.html

As always in Thailand the rules differ with each member of staff you deal with, I have booked a number of flights for other people with Thai and each time this rule has been strictly applied.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll certainly have a look at Expedia - Thai airways are charging £1500 for a one way flight in August at the minute!!!???

I think Etihad may also now be an option. I flew out to BKK in April and didn't need to show any CC I.D.

Thanks

How about Emirates into Manchester....... They allow payment by Paypal, or you could nip over to Manchester Airport and pay for the ticket at the Emirates counter.

Travel insurance is necessary as there is no NHS cover until we are married which may not be until 3-4 months after arrrival in the UK. I may be being over cautious but would rather be covered.

I assume your partner is coming with a fiance visa? In which case, as they are coming for a 'settled purpose' they are entitled to full NHS treatment from day 1.

I assume your partner is coming with a fiance visa? In which case, as they are coming for a 'settled purpose' they are entitled to full NHS treatment from day 1.

Hi 7by7,

Wow! Is this true?? Everything I have been led to believe is that NHS cover only kicks in from when we're married... It's a weight off my mind if this is not the case. How are you aware of this? Is there an NHS page somewhere that states this??

I presume with fiancee visa we are talking about the same settlement visa? Coming to the UK specifically to live and marry within thr 6 month visa period..

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks

How about Emirates into Manchester....... They allow payment by Paypal, or you could nip over to Manchester Airport and pay for the ticket at the Emirates counter.

Yes I think Emirates could also be a good idea with booking at the airport. I presume the credit card rule is an attempt to cut down on online fraud and so maybe booking in person avoids this.

Etihad do let me buy online and simply give my fiancees passport number as proof of I.D. on check-in.

Still a little surprised that these airline businesses can afford to turn business away because of this rule... :)

Hi 7by7,

Wow! Is this true?? Everything I have been led to believe is that NHS cover only kicks in from when we're married... It's a weight off my mind if this is not the case. How are you aware of this? Is there an NHS page somewhere that states this??

I presume with fiancee visa we are talking about the same settlement visa? Coming to the UK specifically to live and marry within thr 6 month visa period..

Thanks

Yes a fiance visa is a settlement visa; as I'm sure you know it allows entry for 6 months, during which time you marry and then apply for Further Leave to Remain (see Completing application form FLR(M)) which lasts for 2 years after which, assuming she qualifies, she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain (see Completing application form SET(M) and Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom).

As such the holder is deemed to be in the UK to take up permanent residence and so is entitled to NHS treatment.

From the Department of Health

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here. This exemption applies to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living here with you on a permanent basis.

Hi 7by7,

Thanks

Yes a fiance visa is a settlement visa; as I'm sure you know it allows entry for 6 months, during which time you marry and then apply for Further Leave to Remain (see Completing application form FLR(M)) which lasts for 2 years after which, assuming she qualifies, she applies for Indefinite Leave to Remain (see Completing application form SET(M) and Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom).

As such the holder is deemed to be in the UK to take up permanent residence and so is entitled to NHS treatment.

From the Department of Health

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here. This exemption applies to your spouse, civil partner and children (under the age of 16, or 19 if in further education) if they are living here with you on a permanent basis.

That's fantastic news; thank you very much! :)

I don't doubt this for a moment but there are restrictions with Thai if the CC holder is not a passenger,

http://www.thaiair.com/booking/non_pax_traveler.html

As always in Thailand the rules differ with each member of staff you deal with, I have booked a number of flights for other people with Thai and each time this rule has been strictly applied.

I wasn't a passenger, she was traveling with our son.

Brigante7.

I realise that, that's what you implied, I was just pointing out the rules as advice to the OP, you are proof that Thai, and probably other airlines, don't consistently apply their own rules - but they might.

these CC rules apply to online bookings, walk into any travel agent and won't be a problem. Or pop into your local Thai office if you have one, you can book online with them then attend at the office to sign a form.

one way tickets are often more expensive than returns, you could try buying a return discounted ticket and throw away the return portion.

I realise that, that's what you implied, I was just pointing out the rules as advice to the OP, you are proof that Thai, and probably other airlines, don't consistently apply their own rules - but they might.

Sorry about that, wasn't sure if people understood what I meant.

Brigante7.