Tailor

thairet

After many years here I folded to pressure from Tilac and ordered a jacket and pants from a Thai tailor. Pants OK, but jacket is a monumental piece of crap after 4 fittings. What redress do I have (pun not intended)? Can I just walk away losing my deposit or can they ask for the full amount or else? Unfortunately I have to pass the shop every day.

Thairet

After many years here I folded to pressure from Talc and ordered a jacket and pants from a Thai tailor. Pants OK, but jacket is a monumental piece of crap after 4 fittings. What redress do I have (pun not intended)? Can I just walk away losing my deposit or can they ask for the full amount or else? Unfortunately I have to pass the shop every day.

Threat

Having heard countless stories like that, I can tell that there is not a general solution. It's up to the tailor. Try to explain your complain in a respectfully, intransigent way and wait what happens. Some tailors don't care, others have officials on their side.

Having heard countless stories like that, I can tell that there is not a general solution. It's up to the tailor. Try to explain your complain in a respectfully, intransigent way and wait what happens. Some tailors don't care, others have officials on their side.

Thanks Birdman, I will cool it and initially follow your advice,

Thairet

Take this advice: always choose a reputable tailor.

Last year, I had three suits, an overcoat and 6 shirts made at Majestic Tailors at Sukhumvit, between Soi 2 and 4, a few shops away from Raja's. They're inside the Majestic Suites hotel, a nice small hotel with excellent value.

I rushed them at the end of my stay due to a change in my travel plans. After returning home, the overcoat, shirts and pants turned out to be excellent, but the jackets were asymmetric. I returned this year and they fixed them for me without charging anything. No problem at all.

Prices at Majestic Tailors are not the lowest but probably comparable to Raja's and other popular tailors. Their shop is spacious, the people are very friendly, and they have a great choice in fabrics. When I told them I'm from the Netherlands they showed me their order book, apparently they're very popular with the Dutch foreign ministry.

You will not find any touts in front of the shop, and they don't do any business with tour operators or tuk-tuk drivers, which means that you don't end up paying for commissions. On the other hand: don't expect to bargain here. It's not like MBK.

If you're looking for a budget tailor: don't go there. If you're looking for a fine suit at a realistic price, good service, and for an enclave of honesty in BKK, put them on your short list.

Hope this helps.

http://www.majesticsuites.com/

Several years ago I decided to have a silk suit made. The mistake I made was that when I was handed the huge book of patterns to choose from, I didn't know what I was doing. I actually think the tailors did a reasonable job. But I had chosen patterns poorly. I was never satisfied with suit, although I did wear it occasionally. If I had it to do again, I would take a suit coat with me that I felt was what I liked in terms of style and fitting and just tell them to copy it with my choice of fabric.

I am looking to have 3 plain white shirts (short sleeve) on my next visit as I usually stay in majestic Suites anyone have any idea of what the price would be??

I was quoted between 500 - 700Baht in a few places in Chiang Mai last year but when I did a deal thye wanted 4 days to make them and was leaving in 2.

Think I'll send majestic suiites an e-amail before I go to ask what they want.

I am looking to have 3 plain white shirts (short sleeve) on my next visit as I usually stay in majestic Suites anyone have any idea of what the price would be??

Hi,

Better ask them. It depends on the cotton and the number of shirts you order. I had six shirts made of two-ply cotton made last year but I can't tell how much they cost. Only asked for the price of the total package (overcoat, 3 suits and 6 shirts). Wasn't cheap but I was very satisfied.

As far as I have understood, the price for cutting & sewing is the same regardless of what fabric you choose. It's the fabric that makes one suit or shirt more expensive than the other. So it's better to choose a high quality fabric. Majestic Tailors have an extensive choice, so you'll certainly find something you like.

If you have enough time, you can have one shirt made first. Once it's finished, and if you like it, they can order more copies; these should be ready in considerably less time. Certainly now that there's a bust in tourism and tailoring. When I was in BKK last March, most tailor shops I passed were desperate for customers....

Oh yes, forgot to tell. From what I have read on this and other forums, many BKK tailors have quite a peculiar taste. Big shoulder paddings and so on. No such problem at Majestic. Asked for a slim European cut and they did not disappoint me. It makes a difference that these guys travel to Europe every year.

Hi,

Better ask them. It depends on the cotton and the number of shirts you order. I had six shirts made of two-ply cotton made last year but I can't tell how much they cost. Only asked for the price of the total package (overcoat, 3 suits and 6 shirts). Wasn't cheap but I was very satisfied.

As far as I have understood, the price for cutting & sewing is the same regardless of what fabric you choose. It's the fabric that makes one suit or shirt more expensive than the other. So it's better to choose a high quality fabric. Majestic Tailors have an extensive choice, so you'll certainly find something you like.

If you have enough time, you can have one shirt made first. Once it's finished, and if you like it, they can order more copies; these should be ready in considerably less time. Certainly now that there's a bust in tourism and tailoring. When I was in BKK last March, most tailor shops I passed were desperate for customers....

Oh yes, forgot to tell. From what I have read on this and other forums, many BKK tailors have quite a peculiar taste. Big shoulder paddings and so on. No such problem at Majestic. Asked for a slim European cut and they did not disappoint me. It makes a difference that these guys travel to Europe every year.

dabird, you've got it spot on regarding two things..HUGE shoulder pads in most stores and the bust in tourism and tailoring. Walking past so many stores, I was not only conversed with, but literally pulled over to walk into their store. Some got to the point that I was ready to break his face. They really can be a pain at times.

Anyways, in regards to a good store, I frequent Crown Tailors inside of Sukhumvit soi 8. They're hidden away in the soi a little, so at times, its a jewel and I don't have to get dragged in other dam_n stores while walkin to them :)

Hi,

Ask for better fabric? All you will get is a higher price. Most of these places are running a scam.

Average Bangkok Suit.

Fabric. 1,000

Sewing 200

Delivery 10 bt.

After many years here I folded to pressure from Talc and ordered a jacket and pants from a Thai tailor. Pants OK, but jacket is a monumental piece of crap after 4 fittings. What redress do I have (pun not intended)? Can I just walk away losing my deposit or can they ask for the full amount or else? Unfortunately I have to pass the shop every day.

Threat

No-one specifically answered my two queries in red above except Birdman. I took Birdman's advice (thanks :) before throttling the rats. They re-tailored the jacket where required and while not perfect it is acceptable for the price (we are up to 6 fittings now and they are again making minor changes).

By chance, at my last fitting, my timing was perfect as a new customer came into the shop . As I am not familiar with tailor's jargon I said "Look at it! It's a piece of <deleted>". The punter shuffled out rather quickly, never to be seen there again I assume.

Thairet