Bring In A Vespa

Hi Guy's

Would like some advise if anybody is in the know.

I have located a US company that operate out of Vietnam and have some nice Vespa's for sale at reasonable prices, they also offer to ship.

My questions are:

1. Once the bike arrives here do you forsee any issues with the Customs....or is it normally a backhander :)

2. Knowing the bike is not registered in Thailand, how do I go about being able to ride it here without the hassle off the police, can I register it here and get Thai plates. Or will I have to take many chances of not getting stopped.

Are there anyother pitfalls or advise you can provide. I have searched here for some Vespas, but they seem over priced and not worth it.

Cheers

Ace

I know a dealer who specializes in Vespas if you want i could get you the number , the prices start at about 50k , would save a he_l of a lot of hassle and money ( i think ) , when your pricing the vespas here are you also taking into account the cost to register the bike you import etc?

I am not sure about vespas but a bike registration starts at 40,000 for Jap imports.

There is a small shop in Chinatown(BKK) selling(only) new Vespa and Vespone, don't know if they are copies, imported, etc, just noticed by chance walking around.... :)

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the response.

Coolfusion the number would be good, do they have a website and do they spraken de English?

Surayu, Thanks but I am not after a new one, I am looking for restored classics....bit like Quadraphenia...if you know what I mean.

Ace

Ya this guy is in to restoring them so sounds like the man , he dont speak a word of english well maybe one word..do you have a thai GF ??

Yep, Ill get the missus to speak to him. Where is he based?

Can you send us his details pls.

There seem to be loads in Chiang mai, I've spotted a few dealers here and there. Would be alot easier than importing which is full of complications. Are Vespas really that cheap in Vietnam?

Regards Bojo

Cheers Cool

Bojo, yep you can get some good deals over there 1000-3000US....classics. even the ones that need rebuilding are going for peanuts, your right though I reckon the import stuff will be a nightmare. If you see any in CM that have websites can you post the details pls.

Ace

My dad loves vespas and does most the restoration himself... when my parents came to Thailand to attend my brother's graduation, my dad did a sidetrip to Thailand to shop around for vespa parts. Flew back to Malaysia with a front mudguard in his check-in luggage :) ... and another time with a exhaust assembly

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread, but if I were you I would not buy a Vespa in Vietnam.

"Vietbode" google it. Dangerousy restored.

Lots for sale in Chiang Mai, yep the Quadrophenia type..VBS,VBB,"P", etc. Prices around 35K and up ( plan on at least 45k for a smaller 125 or 50.)

The problem with most is having the correct registration papers.

Found a guy who does Lambretta's in Prachinburi as well. ( 65k and up)

If you're still looking ( if you still are even intrested in this thread) PM me and I can give you more info on where to buy.

~ John

1979 P200E

2005 PX150

post-46099-1251940519_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1251940638_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1251940673_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1251940765_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1251940842_thumb.jpg