Problem Drinker

rebo

I’m just seeing a neighbor going to go to the dogs. He is German, poor English, almost no Thai, alcoholic who stood 100% sober for a couple of years (when I got to know him) but since some months slid back. At this moment I see him drunk from morning till night, and bit by bit ruining his entire life.

To be honest – I have difficulties to communicate with him at this time but I feel sad cause I know he’s not a bad guy, so I want to give it a try: Does anybody know about a German speaking self-help group in CNX or something like that I could try to guide him to? Otherwise – I’m sure – he will die pretty soon as by accident, as by being killed by other – mostly Thai - people he’s constantly upsetting, or as by any serious health issue.

I know – the best advice would be to go where he comes from but this seems not to be an alternative, don’t ask for details …

Thanks a lot for any compassionated constructive feedback.

What a very kind thing to do. :)

Here the contact details of the German consulate:

Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany: Mr. Hagen E.W. Dirksen

199/163 Moo 3, Baan Nai Fun 2, Kan Klong Chonpratan Road,), Tambon Mae Hia, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai 50100

Tel: (053) 83 87 35

Fax: (053) 83 87 35

Email: dekonsul (at) loxinfo.co.th

And a link to other consulates in Chiang Mai, just in case someone would like to know: http://northernthailand.com/test/chiang-mai/consulates.html

There's an AA group that meets in the back of McCormick Hospital every night about 6 pm. You go inside the parking lot, shoot hard right and go straight back,.....hang a left, and then hang the next left at the rear of the hospital grounds. You are basically driving in the shape of a gallows (ironic, or not) and that's where AA meets. You could go do some investigation and maybe ask for a number of someone who speaks German to get in touch with them.

I once helped out a girl by contacting a BKK AA person's # I found online in order to help another lost soul get into the conversation of sobriety. You could try that. Sadly, she was not in the right place or of the right fortitude to stay sober and things went downhill rather rapidly for her. Such can be the way and the life of an alcoholic. A very sad train wreck to witness or be a part of.

I’m just seeing a neighbor going to go to the dogs. He is German, poor English, almost no Thai, alcoholic who stood 100% sober for a couple of years (when I got to know him) but since some months slid back. At this moment I see him drunk from morning till night, and bit by bit ruining his entire life.

To be honest – I have difficulties to communicate with him at this time but I feel sad cause I know he’s not a bad guy, so I want to give it a try: Does anybody know about a German speaking self-help group in CNX or something like that I could try to guide him to? Otherwise – I’m sure – he will die pretty soon as by accident, as by being killed by other – mostly Thai - people he’s constantly upsetting, or as by any serious health issue.

I know – the best advice would be to go where he comes from but this seems not to be an alternative, don’t ask for details …

Thanks a lot for any compassionated constructive feedback.

You're a good guy and the best representation of what expats (I'm assuming you are) can be.

I recently met a guy where I workout who is German but speaks perfect English and is fluent in Thai. I'll ask him about some references. I believe he is on ThaiVisa. I'll put him in touch with you via PM if he can help.

Edited by venturalaw