Another non-immigrant b question

I have a question regarding non-immigrant B visas granted from the US embassy in DC.  I have a very small business and would like to apply for a non-immigrant B visa in order to research business opportunities in Thailand, but don't want to do border crossings every 30 days.  I'll be in Thailand for probably 8-9 months.

The Thai embassy DC website only has a very brief mention of the requirements for a business related non-Immigrant B and this is what they say:

"Purpose of visit: BUSINESS and CONFERENCE (requiring the business letter with letter-head explains purpose of visit, also included name of company, organization or mission and address in Thailand)"

This is pretty vague is it not?  So I just need a letter from my own company on company letterhead?  Will it make any difference that the name of the company has my last name in it, meaning, is it ok for me to write a letter for myself explaining why I'll be there?  What does the embassy verify if anything?  

I think I remember reading somewhere that there are certain financial requirements of the company before they can "endorse" an employee to prospect in Thailand.  Is that correct?  My company is very very small and has limited resources, will this be a problem?

If anybody here has been through this coming from US I'd appreciate it.  Also, Dr., feel free to chime in...

Thanks for any info!