Help! Am Confuse How Re-entry Permit Works

hello guys,

please kindly help me as am a bit confuse. :)

in my understanding, re-entry permit is issued so that your current working visa will stay valid when you come back here in thailand. correct?

well, my scenario is am going home to philippines in mid august for a week and within that week we are planning to go to HK. then back to philippines again. it's like phils-hk-phils-bkk. so single re-entry permit would be okay. but a friend told me that in hk, i still need to get another re-entry permit as it would be a different country. the re-entry permit i took here in thailand is only for philippines so i must get another one in hk or get a multiple entry here in bangkok before leaving in august. i told him it doesn't make sense. it would be too tiring and too costly if one should get a re-entry permit in each country he/she goes to. as far as i know, single re-entry permit is okay anywhere as long as you are still outside thailand and haven't come back yet and your visa is still valid.

please advice if am right. it confuses. my friend confuses me :D .

thanks a lot in advance....

Edited by cashe

hello guys,

please kindly help me as am a bit confuse. :)

in my understanding, re-entry permit is issued so that your current working visa will stay valid when you come back here in thailand. correct?

well, my scenario is am going home to philippines in mid august for a week and within that week we are planning to go to HK. then back to philippines again. it's like phils-hk-phils-bkk. so single re-entry permit would be okay. but a friend told me that in hk, i still need to get another re-entry permit as it would be a different country. the re-entry permit i took here in thailand is only for philippines so i must get another one in hk or get a multiple entry here in bangkok before leaving in august. i told him it doesn't make sense. it would be too tiring and too costly if one should get a re-entry permit in each country he/she goes to. as far as i know, single re-entry permit is okay anywhere as long as you are still outside thailand and haven't come back yet and your visa is still valid.

please advice if am right. it confuses. my friend confuses me :D .

thanks a lot in advance....

You are correct that you only need a single re-entry permit. But, it doesn't keep the visa active, it keeps the current "permitted to stay" period from being canceled.

Yes. A single Re Entry Permit will keep your current stay alive. It does not add any time.

Example. If your current permitted to stay stamp is November 19th and you leave in August. When you return you will be admitted until November 19th.

Yes. A single Re Entry Permit will keep your current stay alive. It does not add any time.

Example. If your current permitted to stay stamp is November 19th and you leave in August. When you return you will be admitted until November 19th.

I have permission to stay until the 13th August but I leave for 2 weeks to the UK on the 11th August. I understand that I have to get a re-entry permit but do I have to go and report as usual to Suan Plu before I leave as well?

Advice much appreciated, thanks.

I have permission to stay until the 13th August but I leave for 2 weeks to the UK on the 11th August. I understand that I have to get a re-entry permit but do I have to go and report as usual to Suan Plu before I leave as well?

If your permission of stay is until 13th August and you are leaving on 11th August a Re Entry Permit would be of no use to you.

EDIT

Did you apply for a 12 month extension early in February/Late January?

If you did you are a little confused. You are probably referring to your 90 day report. Nothing to do with your permission to stay.

Yes you still have to do it. The 90 day report clock will start again when you return.

Yes a Re Entry Permit will be needed and will enable you to keep your permission to stay date in February alive.

Why not do your report and apply for the Re Entry Permit at the same time.

Are you staying in Thailand on a tourist visa or on an extension of stay, based on working, marriage to a Thai, retirement?

If you have a non-immigrant visa and subsequent extensions of stay you will have to get your new extension of stay before you leave to the UK and get a re-entry permit.

If your permission of stay is until 13th August and you are leaving on 11th August a Re Entry Permit would be of no use to you.

EDIT

Did you apply for a 12 month extension early in February/Late January?

If you did you are a little confused. You are probably referring to your 90 day report. Nothing to do with your permission to stay.

Yes you still have to do it. The 90 day report clock will start again when you return.

Yes a Re Entry Permit will be needed and will enable you to keep your permission to stay date in February alive.

Why not do your report and apply for the Re Entry Permit at the same time.

Yes sorry I mean my 90 day report.

I will go and do both at the same time then.

Many Thanks for your help, Paul