Apple Imac Or Powerbook? Garageband Etc...

pluto_manibo

I am interested in getting an Apple notebook, mainly to record music with their software" Garageband". It has been recommended by many as being the best home recording software, since it is simple to use. I am not very familiar with Apple and would like to hear any recommendations on their Ibook and Powerbook models....I am hesitating between the Powerbook G4 1.33mhz 12 " and the Ibook G4 1.33 14 "...Which is best and why?

The only reason I would change to an Apple platform would be for home recording, anyone have any experience with Garageband?? Is it really that good? Thank you for the information... :o

I don't know much about Garage Band. However, for audio recording it would be nice to have a speedy hard drive. The drives in notebook computers (like the PowerBook and iBook) are not particularly fast. However, if you need a notebook computer you might want to buy an external FireWire drive for use with Garage Band.

The 15 and 17" PowerBooks have FireWire 800 ports, the iBooks and 12" PowerBook have FireWire 400 ports.

The vast majority of notebook harddrives are not intended to be user-upgradeable. They're usually meant to be changed/replaced by service personnel, or at a shop. There are some which have harddisk compartments with their own easy-access covers, but for most it's fairly difficult to get to and replace the harddisk. Not only that, but the system recovery software might not like a new harddisk (this is true for many PC notebooks, I don't know about macs). Having said this, you can probably (again, I don't about macs) get the harddisk upgraded at a mac shop, but you'll pay a premium.

Recently I helped a friend change his notebook harddisk. We had to remove about 20 screws on the back, remove the keyboard, remove another 5 screws, jimmy open the cover, remove yet another 5 screws, remove the harddisk assembly, remove another 5 screws, and finally get to the actual harddisk.