Drugged And Mugged In Bangkok

churchill

I'd just like to add some balance to this post.

A friend of mine is here on holiday but he did live here for 4 years but is now on a tourist vacation. I was with him on Khao Sarn road last Friday and we ended up in Gullivers drunk and dancing with the freelancers in there.

About 1.30 ish before closing i went for some food and went home leaving my drunk tourist mate alone in Gullivers on Khao Sarn road with a group of freelancers!

Guess what bad thing happened next??

Exactly nothing! he went back to his hotel and had a happy ending as do majority of tourists and long stayers......

Some of these stories are pure BS

Some are variants of urban myths

Some are loosely based on the truth but with added extras to protect the victim...ie the OZ dude...

"crikey i've been rumbled best say i was drugged" that will do it!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if a woman or katoy puts some drug on her chest that is licked off - and thereby debilitates some guy, why then would the drug not affect the person putting it on their own skin? Is there something about licking it off that makes it more effective, or does it penetrate the tongue, but not skin or nipples? It would be more believable if the drug were put on a piece of clothing (a bra or panties?) than on skin, or if some oil/jell were put on the patch of skin before the scammer applied it.

Whatever, with so many stories coming down the tubes, it sounds believable.

Lets hope at least some of the perpetrators get busted - either by cops or get their heads busted by people.

Has it ever happened where a person suspects getting a mickey (a drugged drink), and before drinking it, takes it to get tested. Ok, didn't think so.

Just a thought: how about take a photo with mobile phone when first getting acquainted with a new person. I'd bet that any scam artist would freak if he/she saw you getting ready to take a photo. Whereas a decent person would just chuckle.

I'm a rather trusting person and have resided in many countries, while befriending 'strangers' often. Scams, such as we've been reading about, will put a further dent in carefree encounters. Rather sad, because a lot of fun times and learning can stem from people casually interacting (am not talking about sex).

example: my mother went to Japan once for a couple days. She was wandering around and met a Japanese woman who invited her to her house. My mom met the family, had some snacks, and had a wonderfull little experience. I've had similar encounters in dozens of countries worldwide. My mom's gone to the big bridge game in the sky and as for me, after reading all these spooky stories on T.Visa, will be a lot less open with city (some of whom are shitty) people.

I've personally never lost anything aside from dropping a phone in a taxi here. But my dad had his laptop bag lifted from Au Bon Pain in Silom a few years ago and it had 200,000 baht in cash in it... Was a good day for the thieves he had it so that he could pay the rent after some other issue forced him to have to get it in cash, probably the strangest timing in the world as he would never have carried that much around otherwise.

He has also had about 4 or 5 wallets pick pocketed always with 15,000++ in them so he has lost quiet a bit to theft here.

After about 12 years in Thailand I have never had anything stolen, never had an accident, have never had any fights or met any people I thought were out to scam me. I have though met a lot of really nice friendly people.

I think all these stories are from people who are either in a specific "target group", like people in their 60-70s (that the criminals may consider an easy target either because of their age or state of health..) or that kind of people who go to pattaya and pick up street whores (i.e. people who are asking for it.)

Anyway.. Facts are facts and these drugs do exist. For the stories.. I believe the one my friend told me to be absolutely true, and I also belive in the ones from the different newspapers, but I can't speak for the other stories. I just found them off different forums on the internet.

that kind of people who go to pattaya and pick up street whores (i.e. people who are asking for it.)

Most of the men that I have known during 20 years of living in Thailand have had no bad experiences with "street whores", so please do not unfairly malign them. Most have hearts of gold.

From a Newspaper

Drug-smeared boobs knock out robbed men

From correspondents in KampalaAgence France-PresseNovember 28, 2008 11:03pm+-PrintEmailShare

UGANDA'S police warned male bar-goers to keep their noses clean after a probe found a gang of robbers had been using women with chloroform smeared on their chests to knock their victims unconscious.

"They apply this chemical to their chest. We have found victims in an unconscious state," Criminal Investigations Directorate (CID) spokesman Fred Enanga said.

"You find the person stripped totally naked and everything is taken from him," he said.

"And the victim doesn't remember anything. He just remembers being in the act of romancing."

Mr Enanga, who explained that several types of heavy sedatives had been used, said he first came across the practice last year when an apprehended thief named Juliana Mukasa made a clean breast of the matter.

"She is a very dangerous lady," he said.

While early investigations suggest that the gang may consist of dozens of members, the source of the sedatives remains unknown.

"We don't know exactly how they get these materials," Mr Enanga said. "That is something that our investigations must crack."

He called on men, particularly travelling businessmen who tend to carry a lot of cash, to take caution.

"It's a serious situation and people have to be aware."

This one bothers me also for a simmilar reason as the "wouldn't the poultice be absorbed by the offender's skin also?" argument.

I'm not a chemist but wouldn't chloroform 1. Evaporate from someone's skin within minutes? and 2. If it was vapourising, wouldn't it knock out the woman also?

But then I realised...not a newspaper as such, it must be a tabloid; puns such as "...police warned male bar-goers to keep their noses clean ..." in relation to chloroform inhaltion, and "....thief named Juliana Mukasa made a clean breast of the matter..." in relation to the poison being applied by the breasts....

Tabloid BS.

Hey, I'm back! Strange couple of days...Last thing I remember was licking these boobs and then..... :)

IF this story was true, why phone him the next day and threaten him? Perhaps it would be more efficient to threaten him immediately after kindly dropping him of at his hotel (that he wasn't picked up from in the 1st place) so he didn't go to the police that evening. Load of old <deleted>!

if a woman or katoy puts some drug on her chest that is licked off - and thereby debilitates some guy, why then would the drug not affect the person putting it on their own skin? Is there something about licking it off that makes it more effective, or does it penetrate the tongue, but not skin or nipples? It would be more believable if the drug were put on a piece of clothing (a bra or panties?) than on skin, or if some oil/jell were put on the patch of skin before the scammer applied it.

Exactly you can't add something to yourself that disables others, Otherwise you would disable yourself.

Some of you need to get out into the light sometimes, May be the internet is too addictive for you (or Thaivisa) and the only light you can see is the monitor?

I was going to edit my last post, But i need the post count.

chloroform dissapiates after a short time when exposed to the air, So would not be effective it only leaves a residue smell not harmful.

After about 12 years in Thailand I have never had anything stolen, never had an accident, have never had any fights or met any people I thought were out to scam me. I have though met a lot of really nice friendly people.

I think all these stories are from people who are either in a specific "target group", like people in their 60-70s (that the criminals may consider an easy target either because of their age or state of health..) or that kind of people who go to pattaya and pick up street whores (i.e. people who are asking for it.)

Anyway.. Facts are facts and these drugs do exist. For the stories.. I believe the one my friend told me to be absolutely true, and I also belive in the ones from the different newspapers, but I can't speak for the other stories. I just found them off different forums on the internet.

One can surmise two things about you: you live a sheltered and very careful existence, and you believe your friends accounts (of being ripped off via drugs and deception) but are v. wary of others telling similar accounts. Are your friends inherently honest, and those you don't know inherently tall tale tellers?

Here's how I contrast with your outlook. Firstly, I'm a risk taker and as a result, I've been ripped off a number of times within the past 10 years in Thailand. Admittedly, not by street scammers (though did get pick-pocketed in a HK airport bus), but had valuables stolen thieves who I thought were decent (they're hill tribe guys who were helping me build houses).

Secondly, I don't dismiss stories out of hand just because they're a bit outlandish and are told by people I don't personally know. I would venture strangers can be honest or can be rip-offs at about the same ratio as people I personally know. Just because I know someone, doesn't mean that person is upstanding character ...and vice versa.

chloroform dissipates after a short time when exposed to the air, So would not be effective it only leaves a residue smell not harmful.

Brings to mind the sad story of an attractive young farang woman who was taken home by a Japanese playboy who had a beachside penthouse. She disappeared and no once could find her. The local cops searched a small cove right below the house, but it wasn't untill they searched it a 2nd time, more thoroughly (due to pleadings by the dead woman's parents), that they found the body buried shallow in the sand.

It turns out the Japanese man had a reputation for bringing farang women to his pad and putting them out with a chlorofrom drenched pad to their mouths - then sexually assaulted them. Earlier victims figured what happened but were either too embarrased to go to police, or knew the cops would just laugh and say 'you asked for it.' So happened the dose was too high for the Brit girl, and it killed her by poisoning. Her liver was overwhelmed. Last I heard, the Jap man got off easy for some dumb ass reason - maybe because he was from a big shot family or he was too charming to put behind bars.

Hey cyb?

What beerchang?

No i'm not going to 7 for you, Not unless you pay sin sod for me :D:):D:D:D

Nothing dude. Just knew you'd reply and up your post count :D . And do try to stay on topic..disgraceful behaviour. I wouldn't ask you to go to 7 anyway..you'd probably meet a pretty girl and a phillipino man on the way and we'd never hear from you again! :D

PS. How much you want handsome man?

OZ Navy signal officer,who came to LOS on official duty to attend conference - did not resist temptation!He left his very poshy hotel at 2am to NanaPlaza!

One hour later he came back with...perfect stranger.At breakfast time he realized,that "stranger" is gone as well as his i-pod,mobile etc. including his....what else?...his official military

notebook,with some OZ "Enigma" signal books inside.

I actually thought you were pulling my leg.. until I read this : Link

Haha.. Serves him right :) AND a ladyboy.. hahahaha..

One can surmise two things about you: you live a sheltered and very careful existence, and you believe your friends accounts (of being ripped off via drugs and deception) but are v. wary of others telling similar accounts. Are your friends inherently honest, and those you don't know inherently tall tale tellers?

Here's how I contrast with your outlook. Firstly, I'm a risk taker and as a result, I've been ripped off a number of times within the past 10 years in Thailand. Admittedly, not by street scammers (though did get pick-pocketed in a HK airport bus), but had valuables stolen thieves who I thought were decent (they're hill tribe guys who were helping me build houses).

Secondly, I don't dismiss stories out of hand just because they're a bit outlandish and are told by people I don't personally know. I would venture strangers can be honest or can be rip-offs at about the same ratio as people I personally know. Just because I know someone, doesn't mean that person is upstanding character ...and vice versa.

I expected someone to dissect my posts and try to make strange assumptions and hope to bring forth some negative aspects of my personality and or my way of reasoning.

Maybe I avoid situations that many first time visitors/whoremongers/people who hang out in tourist-infested areas walk right into because I hang out only with Thai people in Thai places. I speak, read and write Thai fluently; am just over 30 in good physical shape and am not as interesting a target as a stereotypical aging money flaunting first-time charter tourist with a hip bag around his waist and a camera hanging from his neck. I do not live an even remotely sheltered or careful existance, I just don't hang out with troublemakers or aggressive-alcoholics. I also grew up with asians of different countries and spent several years of my younger life living with a Thai family so maybe I just understand the culture better than you and act to situations that may happen differently from someone who doesn't care how asians think.. Or maybe it's just that I don't behave like a impolite, loudmouth farang with no interest in or grasp of how asians interact socially.

I made one reference to a story my friend told me and said I believed the story. I didn't say the person was Ghandi or a saint. I just said I believed that perticular story. I am not vary of others I just said I can't speak for them. I didn't say I believed them or not. You are just jumping to conclusions.

So many people on this forum spend too much time trying to find negative things about other posters or what they post and so little time trying to contribute constructively to the thread.

I just posted some newspaper articles, some hearsay from other forums, one story I have heard myself, and some other references to wikipedia, etc.

I didn't make any conlusions or any accusations. It's as easy as that.. Now it's your turn again. Come on.. Dissect and infect, sir.

I'm not a chemist but wouldn't chloroform 1. Evaporate from someone's skin within minutes? and 2. If it was vapourising, wouldn't it knock out the woman also?

More importantly, chloroform is a rather nasty skin irritant that causes burning and redness.

Clearly an apocryphal story but typically rooted in truths many of us might recognise.

What I found particularly unconvincing was his assertion that he had signed for 3 transactions in the shopping mall to a value of over £2000 with his ' debit card '. Probably he meant to say credit card but the point is, there is no bank or credit card company operating in Britain that would permit such a pattern of expenditure by a tourist in Bangkok without first verifying that the card holder was actually there and could confirm his security details.

Cynicism is a virtue in my book and this story is so obviously a fluff piece for a slow day.

Clearly an apocryphal story but typically rooted in truths many of us might recognise.

What I found particularly unconvincing was his assertion that he had signed for 3 transactions in the shopping mall to a value of over £2000 with his ' debit card '. Probably he meant to say credit card but the point is, there is no bank or credit card company operating in Britain that would permit such a pattern of expenditure by a tourist in Bangkok without first verifying that the card holder was actually there and could confirm his security details.

Cynicism is a virtue in my book and this story is so obviously a fluff piece for a slow day.

Exactly Electra. Have you seen my posts? This is unbelievable in the extreme. I must say though that if this happened to me I would be grateful of the lift back to hotel that I wasn't picked up from and be allowed to spend the rest of my afternoon/evening not even thinking about contacting the police until the next day (I'm obviously really, really effin' stupid). However, these bandits were clever enough to phone the guy at the hotel THE NEXT FRICKING DAY to warn him not to tell the police!!!! <deleted>!! If your'e gonna make stuff up, make it believable. This is bullsh*t beyond belief. I'd like to hear the 'journalist' named Gill's truthful response to this rubbish (i.e the source).

I'd also like to hear the truth, but very much doubt if that will be forthcoming. Made up, made up, made up. Bullsh*t.

As well as my thai debit and credit cards i have the same with uk banks. My uk debit card has a limit of £1500 in any one instance (in a 24 hr period). Having said that if i make any purchase with it outside of the uk my banks fraud dept will call me to verify it the next day.

• 1 month later...

sorry im lazy so ill cut and paste this from somewhere else.

these stories are true.

"Had a prettty rough day a few days ago when i remember getting out of a taxi in soi sukhamvit 3 soi 6? in bankok to meet my friends at the lido hotel. no bars no booze

next thing i knew i came to in hospital about 19 hours later. the nurse woke me with an injection which was pretty scary as i was still unconscious till she jabbed me so didnt even see if the needle was new. any how too late . i was a bit scared i asked why she was injecting me, why i was in hospital .

she said i'd had a blood sample taken and analyzed and i'd been drugged with a massive dose and the injection wud "stop the drug/ get healthy" so i let her get on with it.

turns out id arrived at the hospital at about 3pm and been unconscious till about 9am the next day. the nurses and 2 social workers were very nice and they were concerned as the dose was enough to kill someone older/ weaker or female. . total amnesia since about 2.-3pm, like falling off a cliff into a big black hole. im not insured and was scared of the bill but i think they just let me off without paying.

bizarrely they 1st asked for 100, 00 bhat then 10, 000 then ok, "no money" obviously id had my thai bhat and 2 cards stolen

so i just left that morning as i felt alright but they said i shuda stayed longer.

any1 know what the drug/ mickey finn/ knock-out drop was? i think it knocked me out almost instantly. i forgot to ask the hospital wot drug it was plus language issues etc.

are there long-term health implications? i feel okish

apparently its rampant here in Bangkok but they r not usually so retarded as to use such a massive dose."

i will add that i wudnt go home with any stranger and consider myself fairly savvy/ cynical. my only attention was to meet my friends who'd just flown in at their hotel.

some other weird things, i can remember up to about 2.30 or so and i was in hospital the nurses said somewhere around 3 or 4. plus there was still dollars in the backpocket of my money belt. i think i had passed out so quickly ( in public?) they only opened the one pocket that had bhat phone and cards in. that makes me suspect they had seen me buy sth or been the seller. who knows?

i read up a bit and it sounds alot like GHB or scolpomine

was concerned id beeen taken to an atm as i cant remember anything at all, so anythingt possible but crappy free ANZ cvambo card i think doesnt work here. i hope. and chinese bank account ponly had a few hundred bucks. neither have credit function.

It's really a simple thing. Some people should stay at home. All over the world, there are scams and a fool and his money are easily parted. If you are not smart enough to avoid these scams you should NEVER go out without adult supervision.

sorry im lazy so ill cut and paste this from somewhere else.

these stories are true.

"Had a prettty rough day a few days ago when i remember getting out of a taxi in soi sukhamvit 3 soi 6? in bankok to meet my friends at the lido hotel. no bars no booze

next thing i knew i came to in hospital about 19 hours later. the nurse woke me with an injection which was pretty scary as i was still unconscious till she jabbed me so didnt even see if the needle was new. any how too late . i was a bit scared i asked why she was injecting me, why i was in hospital .

she said i'd had a blood sample taken and analyzed and i'd been drugged with a massive dose and the injection wud "stop the drug/ get healthy" so i let her get on with it.

turns out id arrived at the hospital at about 3pm and been unconscious till about 9am the next day. the nurses and 2 social workers were very nice and they were concerned as the dose was enough to kill someone older/ weaker or female. . total amnesia since about 2.-3pm, like falling off a cliff into a big black hole. im not insured and was scared of the bill but i think they just let me off without paying.

bizarrely they 1st asked for 100, 00 bhat then 10, 000 then ok, "no money" obviously id had my thai bhat and 2 cards stolen

so i just left that morning as i felt alright but they said i shuda stayed longer.

any1 know what the drug/ mickey finn/ knock-out drop was? i think it knocked me out almost instantly. i forgot to ask the hospital wot drug it was plus language issues etc.

are there long-term health implications? i feel okish

apparently its rampant here in Bangkok but they r not usually so retarded as to use such a massive dose."

i will add that i wudnt go home with any stranger and consider myself fairly savvy/ cynical. my only attention was to meet my friends who'd just flown in at their hotel.

some other weird things, i can remember up to about 2.30 or so and i was in hospital the nurses said somewhere around 3 or 4. plus there was still dollars in the backpocket of my money belt. i think i had passed out so quickly ( in public?) they only opened the one pocket that had bhat phone and cards in. that makes me suspect they had seen me buy sth or been the seller. who knows?

i read up a bit and it sounds alot like GHB or scolpomine

was concerned id beeen taken to an atm as i cant remember anything at all, so anythingt possible but crappy free ANZ cvambo card i think doesnt work here. i hope. and chinese bank account ponly had a few hundred bucks. neither have credit function.

And apparently... you are still on :)

I'd just like to add some balance to this post.

A friend of mine is here on holiday but he did live here for 4 years but is now on a tourist vacation. I was with him on Khao Sarn road last Friday and we ended up in Gullivers drunk and dancing with the freelancers in there.

About 1.30 ish before closing i went for some food and went home leaving my drunk tourist mate alone in Gullivers on Khao Sarn road with a group of freelancers!

Guess what bad thing happened next??

Exactly nothing! he went back to his hotel and had a happy ending as do majority of tourists and long stayers......

Some of these stories are pure BS

Some are variants of urban myths

Some are loosely based on the truth but with added extras to protect the victim...ie the OZ dude...

"crikey i've been rumbled best say i was drugged" that will do it!

and some are true alas

the beginnin of this scam is very common. I have been approached at least a dozen times in Thailand and Malaysia with this my sister or whatever wants information about my country. One time in KL I did go with these girls and her whatever brother wanted to teach me how to cheat the casino at Cameron Highlands. He wanted me to go upstairs and teach me how to play cards. I swore up and down that my employer the US Govt would fire me and hunt him down. He dejectedly let me leave. When I got back to the Guesthouse the owner told me that is a common scam where they win card money or rob you... I have never agreed since but have been approached quite a few times.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Before I arrived in Thailand I did a fair bit of research on things to beware of. I read about the various Gem scams, Taxi scams, Mother sick scams, Palace closed scams and didn't truly believe I would encounter any of them. My first day in Thailand I encountered every single one of the scams I was warned of!

I can remember 3 times where people have tried to pick my pockets. They failed each time. I have my fathers sense of humor so I like to keep my valuables safe by having a suckers bait pocket filled with an empty old wallet with a funny note in it. They all tried to steal from my bait pocket.

Once when I was in Phuket, a lady continually tried to pick my pocket but I would stop her each time and I had to ask her out loud if she would stop trying to pick my pocket. She told me I was wrong and that I was thinking too much. Other Thai in the area only smiled and did nothing.

Later I read a warning about her on the internet stating that she haunted the area as a pickpocket.

Before I arrived in Thailand I did a fair bit of research on things to beware of. I read about the various Gem scams, Taxi scams, Mother sick scams, Palace closed scams and didn't truly believe I would encounter any of them. My first day in Thailand I encountered every single one of the scams I was warned of!

I can remember 3 times where people have tried to pick my pockets. They failed each time. I have my fathers sense of humor so I like to keep my valuables safe by having a suckers bait pocket filled with an empty old wallet with a funny note in it. They all tried to steal from my bait pocket.

Once when I was in Phuket, a lady continually tried to pick my pocket but I would stop her each time and I had to ask her out loud if she would stop trying to pick my pocket. She told me I was wrong and that I was thinking too much. Other Thai in the area only smiled and did nothing.

Later I read a warning about her on the internet stating that she haunted the area as a pickpocket.

You seem really unlucky, i have been here 3,5 years and have never been pick pocketed. I have been scammed by taxi's but that is about it.

You seem really unlucky, i have been here 3,5 years and have never been pick pocketed. I have been scammed by taxi's but that is about it.

Do you spend a lot of time out late at night in the dense tourist spots? That is where I ran into the pick-pockets.

So, a ghostly pictpoceteress then?

Have to add that in my ten plus years in Thailand I have never been mugged, pickpocketed, attacked or any of the other nasty things - been scammed a few times but that's the extent of it. You sound like you might advertise yourself as a target perhaps.