Hours For Drinks

wilson steer

Been in the LOS for one week after a three month work stint away. Yesterday I was in a Pattaya restaurant. They refused to sell me an alcoholic beverage between 2 and 5 pm. What's going on? Have I missed something here?

Any info, kindly accepted.....

Wilson Steer.

Pattaya.

This is a new crackdown in Pattaya. Yesterday all establishments were told by leaflet that they could not serve alcohol between the hours of 2pm and 5 pm. and I have heard although not yet confirmed that midnight is the cut off time as well.

There are some exemptions to this I believe.

and I have heard although not yet confirmed that midnight is the cut off time as well.

I think we would have heard a louder rumble, had this been true. :o

Just to get you all in a panic a letter was handed around some of the bars last night regarding the earlier closing (12am) of certain types of bars.

According to the letter beer bar type? bars and ST bars and forms of karaoke bars are the targets of the letter and it states that from 2pm till 5pm they will not be allowed to serve alcohol (Apparently applies to all alcohol selling establishments although certain license types are exempt) and they will have to stop selling alcohol from midnight?

I'm not sure about disco's, gogo's etc (obviously i've enquired about my place and apparently its ok), but the idea is to clean up the daytime drinking and ST trade.

NOT MY WORDS OK

Anyway there you go and if i get any more info i will put it on here.

I'm not an authority on this so its no good asking me too many questions all i can say is the letter is real and obviously we want to keep our business's open.

Only a matter of time before you have to bring your own Booze with you when you go to LOS on Hols.

AAAAAaaaaa reminds me of the good old days in Saudi,Libya and Kuwait.

I still have me recip....peeeee for making a reasonable beer like stuff.

1st Go to Robinson/Tesco and buy a big 10 gall plastic Bucket.

2. About 5 kilo bags of sugar should do to start off.

3 10 litre tins of Malt Extract...its stinks when you open it but think of

all that luvly beer you will have in a couple of weeks time...

4. When you leave (escape) the country (to England/North Korea)

bring back some packets of Yeast since its usually better than

the local contribution (for...fermentation)

Whe you get that lot home to your gaff find a quiet shaded,cool area out of the way of prying eyes (wardrobe in Bedroom) and start by filling bucket with potable boiled water..............

.......Wake me up I must be dreaming.......bit of a night mare really...ha-ha .....for a minute I though I was in LOS and drinking was banned

:D ......ha ha could Never Happennnnn......Could It :o

Only a matter of time before you have to bring your own Booze with you when you go to LOS on Hols.

2.  About 5 kilo bags of sugar should do to start off.

3    10 litre tins of Malt Extract...its stinks when you open it but think of 

4.  When you leave (escape) the country (to England/North Korea) 

bring back some packets of  Yeast  since  its usually better than 

Whe you get that lot home to your gaff find a quiet shaded,cool area out of the way of prying eyes (wardrobe in Bedroom) and start by filling bucket with potable boiled water..............

.......Wake me up I must be dreaming.......bit of a night mare really...ha-ha .....for a minute I though I was in LOS and drinking was banned

:D ......ha ha could Never Happennnnn......Could It :o

.....What No Hops?? .....Oh Well I guess it`ll be ok to drink between 2pm to 5pm or after midnight.... :D

2. About 5 kilo bags of sugar should do to start off.

3 10 litre tins of Malt Extract...its stinks when you open it but think of

4. When you leave (escape) the country (to England/North Korea)

bring back some packets of Yeast since its usually better than

I can see the headlines. Farang tourist police bust illegal stills in Jomtien condo. :o

When I was at bowling alley within The Mall in Korat this past January, I was not permitted to order a beer (nor any other alcoholic beverage) until after 5pm. I was sort of surprised at this, but fortunately for me, since it was about 4:45pm, I did not have to wait long to satisfy my quench for a cold drink.

One really has to question the intelligence of this goverment. It refuses to resolve the "Bird Flu" problem, by culling fowl and ducks, as this may be percieved as harming the tourist industry,( quite readily ignoring what an epidemic of bird flu would do to the industry). Whilst on the other hand cutting back on what a lot of tourists enjoy when they are on holiday, the ability to have a drink when they chose, not when someone dictates when they can have it.

The Govt. says it wants to entice high rollers, big money people to Thailand. What they appear to forget is that these people expect to be able to do what they want when they want, within reason, and to me having a beer in the middle of the afternoon while on holiday, is well within reason. After all who wants to pay a lot of money to go on holiday and then be dictated to as to what you can and cannot do.

The Govt. says it wants to entice high rollers, big money people to Thailand.

Thailand has far too much competition from more upmarket destinations to be able to attract large numbers of high-rollers (who are also fairly demanding in the standards of service they require). This move will only serve to alienate the country's bread and butter market segment - the "cheap 'n cheerful" package tourists and younger crowd. Mai pen rai. The sex tourists will no doubt continue to arrive.

Edited by Rumpole

Toxin is a policeman

Did you ever come across a REAL one, as opposed to all those TV stars, who had a clue about what makes the world go round?

And was there ever one who, when he saw the world go round, did not try to STOP it?

If this goes on LOS will lose the plot.....well yours and mine..maybe LOS plot is another impenetrable Thai mystery?

I'll bet the Cambodian, Philipino, Vietnamese and Malaysian Tourist Boards are rubbing their hands in anticipation at the thought of this one.

Yep I agree with you there Rumpole. Even England is changing it's laws to accomodate greater freedom for alcohol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The law has changed but nobody seems to want it. :D

Ye Olde Angrit and its new ....24-hour drinking laws(abridged)

Pubs and bars can now apply to stay open 24/7. (not 7/11)

The new licensing law will allow Britain's 113,000 pubs, clubs and bars to apply for the new longer opening licenses.

The government and supporters of the new law believe this is a good strategy to reduce booze-related crime and anti-social behaviour.

They say the changes will reduce the problem of post-pub brawling associated with hordes of people leaving different venues at the same fixed closing time.

So ..What does the new law say?

There will be flexible opening hours for bars and pubs, with the potential to open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Venues will be able to apply for a licence, but have to inform the local community and police to give them 21 days to object.

Any pubs that become disorderly as a result of the new opening hours will be given two months to sort out the situation or they will be billed for the extra policing costs.

What is likely to actually happen?

Venues can officially change to the new system on February 7, 2005 and the new law should come into effect in November 2005.

In reality, it's unlikely pubs will stay open around the clock.

A survey carried out has shown that the only days most venues want to extend their licences are Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with the majority expecting to close at 1am. :D

On my last visit over the wall most local boozers appeared to stay open till about midnight -1-00am at weekends with only a few in the City centres still at it @ 3-4 in the morning.

Down at/outside the main London Railways (center-again)stations I know of a couple that are good for a pint at 2-00am ...but not many.......Paris it aint...and no soop -lice stalls. :o

http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drink...ourdrinkinglaws

I think this new rule is something designed to make it easier for the bar girls to get some out-work, especially true in Pattaya. They campainged for a couple of hours of bed in the afternoon - who could blame them for that! :o

Obviously a new lot of readers that did not read the half -a-dozen or so posts on this thread since December. I guess nobody wanted to give any advice to a poor Isaanite,but now the sh1t has hit the fan in Pattaya, everybodies <deleted> are contacting and suddenly, Voila, it's a talked about topic. The 11.00-14.00 and 17.00-midnight law was passed in 1972,then forgotten about. Someone seems to have dug it up and changed it from stores and supermarkets,to all outlets. They are worried about lack of tourists after the Tsunami,and the Thais in their infinate wisdom have got the whole thing arse-about-face. They actually beleive that stopping booze sales is going to get the tourists flooding back into Thailand,even though no-body outside the country knows about it. Lets face it,all of us that have lived here for some time,know that the Thai people have an inbourne ability to get even the simplest things wrong. If a Thai has just two choices something in his/her genes will make them make the wrong choice. Exasperating,downright annoying at times,but it's what makes living in Thailand such a unique experience,and I guess that's why we love them.

Of course once in a while they go over the top,and that is what we have here.

I have adhered by this rule in my pub since late December,and I have gone through sh1t from people who say'He's not doing it' or 'You can get beer there'

I have posted two topics myself,and been virtually ignored. Three other topics have appeared with the same results. Now on the sixth attempt the people who now find that it affects nealy everyone in some way,are sitting up and saying' What's this' or 'I havn't heard anything'

I don't think there is a lot we can do about it either,except hope that it blows over,but somehow I doubt that just at the moment.

The Govt. says it wants to entice high rollers, big money people to Thailand.

Thailand has far too much competition from more upmarket destinations to be able to attract large numbers of high-rollers (who are also fairly demanding in the standards of service they require).

the highly un-successful Elite Card program is testament to the above.

The "blue flame" springs to mind. Well known for all your insiders that like to make a good brew.

In BKK and Chiangmai there are many places selling in the afternoon.

( Suk area) Also after hours i.e. after 2pm.... they said they pay the police. Maybe not a good idea to post the addresses here. Last weekend in BKK out in Suk. until 5 am. Previous weekend in Chiangmai same. Just ask around.

Obviously a new lot of readers that did not read the half -a-dozen or so posts on this thread since December.

I have posted two topics myself,and been virtually ignored. Three other topics have appeared with the same results. Now on the sixth attempt the people who now find that it affects nealy everyone in some way,are sitting up and saying' What's this' or 'I havn't heard anything'

Keep your knickers on lampard, If only we knew how great you were I am sure we would have all been beating a path to your ashram and begging you to enlighten us. Unfortunatly being a Chelsea supporter and having that nickname, it kind of does your credentials as oracle a great disservice. Come on don't cry...have a singa and I promise to pay more attention next time

:o:D

Obviously a new lot of readers that did not read the half -a-dozen or so posts on this thread since December.

Keep your knickers on lampard, If only we knew how great you were I am sure we would have all been beating a path to your ashram and begging you to enlighten us. Unfortunatly being a Chelsea supporter and having that nickname, it kind of does your credentials as oracle a great disservice. Come on don't cry...have a singa and I promise to pay more attention next time

:o:D

Yes you're right old mate. What I need is a really intellegent name like 'Toastwars' and maybe the avtar of a prat to make people take notice.

Yes you're right old mate. What I need is a really intellegent name like 'Toastwars' and maybe the avtar of a prat to make people take notice.

No just a better taste in football teams and less of a "I'm a geezer I am attitude" Anyway, cockles and whelks to you my ole cockchina whatsit. lovely jubbely and all that :o:D:D

Edited by toastwars

No just a better taste in football teams and less of a "I'm a geezer I am attitude" Anyway, cockles and whelks to you my ole cockchina whatsit. lovely jubbely and all that :o:D:D

Actually 'Boro we my tip for runners up spot this year

Dear friends,

Thanks for the feedback, I can brew my own booze too, actually I was a Saudi expert in ('Saddique). Irrelevent.

What are the laws here in Pattaya, 2-5 no booze in restaurants and supermarkets, it does not seem bars, because I have been on the sauce all day and no problem at Cheap Charlies.

Any feedback gratefully accepted.

Wilson Steer.